“Inspiring”

US$101.00*
and up
Memories of My Lai Full-Day Tour from Da Nang
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Its a long way out from any major town but so worth the drive/cycle. Visiting the site we were so fortunate to have a relative of one of the survivors as our guide. watch the film before entering the site and allmakes much more sense - although only one side of the story.. Eerily quiet as you wander around the village and clearly a 'sanctuary' for theose still affected by what went on. Tears flowed as our guide told us of former American GIs who had visited to pay their respects. A beautifully constructed monument speaks out to all.

2  Thank SurreyGirl27

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I really hope people affected by the massacre find comfort in the museum and surroundings, and some I've spoken to say they do. It's very intelligently presented, with the foundations of houses and the names of those who died at each spot. It was empty when we went, and quite peaceful, which I know is strange. The museum is small and has some shockingly graphic photos, but hopefully it plays a part in bringing the horror to light so it is not accepted for the future.

1  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This might be one of the most interesting places I have ever visited.
I went there when I was 16, not really knowing much about Vietnamese history.
But upon arrival I notices the calmth and peace that was Mỹ Lai, we got to walk around a little and out tour guide told us some about it, and after the short walk we went into the museum.
One thing that I noticed was the big wall with name and age of the victims, only seeing how much people were on there and how young some of them were gave me chills.
There were even babies killed in the massacre! the main reason was the suspected ''nest'' of guerilla soldiers, it is one thing to kill them, I find that horrible. But killing babies and people they could know where not soldiers just makes me mad!
After seeing the museum we got to see a movie, a short story and then a confrontation between a soldier and a survivor of the massacre, only seeing the soldier made me angry, he kept My Lai a secret, and I found that even more horrible then the massacre itself.

My Lai is a great place to visit, but take the day off after visiting it, so did I.
You need time to think and let the events that took place ther sink in.

2  Thank Bob F
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Of the memorials of wartime horrors I have visited in SE Asia (The Killing Fields in Phnom Penh, the War Museum in Ho Chi Ming City), this is the least known but the most striking and well conceived.

The musuem juxtaposes the horrid but brilliant photographs of Army Photographer Ronald L. Haeberle of the crimes committed by the "Charly Company" with personal objects of the victims: kitchen utensils, pottery, the tiny shoes of an assassinated 4 yeard old girl, even the pencil of a schoolboy. The museum not only gives insight to the horrors of war, but also into the lifestyle of 60's rural Vietnam. Thus the surrounding park not only shows the foundations of the villagers houses destroyed by the US Army, but also a reconstructed house with its traditional furniture.

It is hard to believe that such horrors occured in such a peaceful, almoust idyllic surrounding...

The My Lai massacre was of paramount historical importance, since, due to R. Haeberle's photos, it was higly publicized, and increased worldwide awareness to the horrors of the "American War" (as it is called in Vietnam). Although investigations and a court martial immedietaly followed, only one of the war criminals, William Calley, was convincted, to a very leninent sentence.

When travelling here, stay at nearby "My Khe beach", a beautiful albeit littered beach. There are good value hotels there, and a whole row of seafood restaurants. You will only see vietnamese tourists here. A definitively worthwhile break from the travelling and the tourist hussle of places like nearby Hue and Hoi An.

5  Thank belsha
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I was 18 years old when the "My Lai Massacre" happened at Son My, Vietnam, in the throes of the '60's. It energized the anti-war movement, but I didn't feel or understand the things I do now having visited the memorial.
There is a peaceful garden with original trees, rice paddies, and flowers. But then you notice the concrete walk is imprinted with many random chaotic feet - both bare and heavy-booted. I could almost hear the screaming and feel the crazy panic of the too-young soldiers. It must have been horrible. Beautiful bronzes line the garden with victims in various poses.
There are foundations and recreations of the homes, and each site has the names of the family members lost there. I had been taking care of Vietnamese children the week before, and it gave a too visual face to the site I was seeing.
There is a memorial with artillery shells, newspaper articles, photos of Carey and the other players, and models that are not that great in form, but portray the scenes all too well.
War and history are peppered with horrible events, but we must not forget and let them repeat. The site is pleasant in its current beauty, but there are enough reminders to come away with an imprinted memory that we must not tolerate this kind of behavior from humans anywhere.
Take time to read the guest book as you leave the memorial. You can see from some of the profound comments visitors have made from around the world that it has been a worthwhile stop.
About 30 minutes ride north of Quang Ngai, or about 2 1/2 hours south of Da Nang.

3  Thank bonmom707