“tragic event made worse”

My Lai Massacre Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$101.00*
and up
Memories of My Lai Full-Day Tour from Da Nang
Reviewed 25 March 2013

As with all the war memorials I have visited in Vietnam, the presentation is extremely biased against the Americans. With Mai Lai it is impossible to defend the Americans actions, but I would let the facts do the talking if I were the curator, and possibly frame the context of this terrible event.

1  Thank happy577

Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you're a historical military buff, it's an interesting site full of propaganda. Most of the military sites in south Vietnam are "professionally" done; we know what eventually happened. But at least the sites maintain some sense of dignity and make for interesting tourist attractions, especially for those who want to learn more about the war. The My Lai Museum is over the top. There is no question that My Lai was a tragedy, but referring to American soldiers as "saliva-spitting war dogs" who "fail to respect the gentle culture of Viet Nam" only makes you question Vietnam's Department of Tourism. (I assume they have one.) I told my guide that the Museum should hire an American who can write and then rewrite all of their English brochures, so at least they make sense. He said they didn't care.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Its a long way out from any major town but so worth the drive/cycle. Visiting the site we were so fortunate to have a relative of one of the survivors as our guide. watch the film before entering the site and allmakes much more sense - although only one side of the story.. Eerily quiet as you wander around the village and clearly a 'sanctuary' for theose still affected by what went on. Tears flowed as our guide told us of former American GIs who had visited to pay their respects. A beautifully constructed monument speaks out to all.

2  Thank SurreyGirl27
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I really hope people affected by the massacre find comfort in the museum and surroundings, and some I've spoken to say they do. It's very intelligently presented, with the foundations of houses and the names of those who died at each spot. It was empty when we went, and quite peaceful, which I know is strange. The museum is small and has some shockingly graphic photos, but hopefully it plays a part in bringing the horror to light so it is not accepted for the future.

1  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This might be one of the most interesting places I have ever visited.
I went there when I was 16, not really knowing much about Vietnamese history.
But upon arrival I notices the calmth and peace that was Mỹ Lai, we got to walk around a little and out tour guide told us some about it, and after the short walk we went into the museum.
One thing that I noticed was the big wall with name and age of the victims, only seeing how much people were on there and how young some of them were gave me chills.
There were even babies killed in the massacre! the main reason was the suspected ''nest'' of guerilla soldiers, it is one thing to kill them, I find that horrible. But killing babies and people they could know where not soldiers just makes me mad!
After seeing the museum we got to see a movie, a short story and then a confrontation between a soldier and a survivor of the massacre, only seeing the soldier made me angry, he kept My Lai a secret, and I found that even more horrible then the massacre itself.

My Lai is a great place to visit, but take the day off after visiting it, so did I.
You need time to think and let the events that took place ther sink in.

2  Thank Bob F