“The Tragedy of War-The My Lai Masacre”

My Lai Massacre Museum
Memories of My Lai Full-Day Tour from Da Nang
Dong Hoi, Vietnam
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“The Tragedy of War-The My Lai Masacre”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have visited this museum three times to date and each time, it evokes the same emotional response within my heart. As a US Vietnam veteran, I am ashamed that soldiers from my country took part in this bloodbath. I realize that what happened in this small village is not something that is representative of soldiers from my country, but it is representative of what happens in war. In war, there are no winners, only losers. The museum is a look back at the events that happened in a war that very few people understood. Anyone visiting this memorial should do so with a good supply of tissue paper, because much of what you will see is difficult to imagine, yet there it is before you. I highly recommend stopping at this site.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank michvet3

• Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A sombre place”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The visit to My Lai was moving and very fascinating. Firstly you don’t need to go on a tour through a tour company or hotel. Get a private car and driver or normal taxi. The grounds are open all day, closing at 5pm and the entry ticket is only 10,000 VND! A 4 seater private car return trip from Hoi An to My Lai (Son May) is around VND1,4000,000 total. I estimate you need about 2 hours there. I would imagine that most of the tours take 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back (stopping on the way somewhere) giving people about an hour at the site before you get rushed off to an expensive lunch. If you want to take your time and be in control of your own schedule and save money then one option is to do it independently.
Reading some of the other reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites that say a lot of it is propaganda, it is biased in favour of Vietnam, that ghosts should be laid to rest, etc. I would reply that this is a very important site to visit, it should be a lesson to everyone (sadly the world has not learnt from the My Lai tragedy –as such incidents still take place in War) and you should come here not as a tourist to ogle at the past but in memory of what did happen and to pay respects. I have also been to the Killing Fields. You can’t really compare the 2 sites – the Killing Fields is quite rightly a truly haunting place left as it was found. The My Lai site is now actually a very beautiful piece of land with amazing plants, trees etc.where nature has taken over. There is little see apart from the graves, the locations of the houses that were erased, and signs indicating the people who died. And its not nearly as kitsch as some reivews make out re the replica models of people and animals. The way some reviews on other sites are written makes out its like a theme park - well its not so don't worry. The memorial is impressive memorial and the museum is very interesting - and in my view its the photos that really make the museum what it is. In reply to the review that said it should be more objective, personally I can’t see how such an atrocity as this could be shown objectively. There is only one thing that happened, a hamlet and people were destroyed. The photos and stories tell it all. And yes, the words used in the exhibits could be regarded as “insulting” to some people but this is the same language used throughout most museums in Vietnam relating to the American War, the French war and other conflicts. This is Vietnam; it is the way they have chosen to reflect their history and convey the views of the people at the time and how the country suffered. My Lai is definitely an important place for people to visit and reflect.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank BolloLondon
Green Valley
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Too much propaganda but worth seeing”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Yes, it was a tragedy. Yes, there was a cover-up. But there is a little too much propaganda for the communist government.

Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“tragic event made worse”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

As with all the war memorials I have visited in Vietnam, the presentation is extremely biased against the Americans. With Mai Lai it is impossible to defend the Americans actions, but I would let the facts do the talking if I were the curator, and possibly frame the context of this terrible event.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank happy577
Columbus, Georgia
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“It's a long drive; maybe not worth your time”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you're a historical military buff, it's an interesting site full of propaganda. Most of the military sites in south Vietnam are "professionally" done; we know what eventually happened. But at least the sites maintain some sense of dignity and make for interesting tourist attractions, especially for those who want to learn more about the war. The My Lai Museum is over the top. There is no question that My Lai was a tragedy, but referring to American soldiers as "saliva-spitting war dogs" who "fail to respect the gentle culture of Viet Nam" only makes you question Vietnam's Department of Tourism. (I assume they have one.) I told my guide that the Museum should hire an American who can write and then rewrite all of their English brochures, so at least they make sense. He said they didn't care.

Visited March 2013