“The stuff of nightmares -the worst hotel I have ever stayed in”

hotelF1 Caen est Mondeville
hotelF1 Caen est Mondeville
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Mondeville
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The stuff of nightmares -the worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed here en route to Brittany for one night, having had Formule 1 recommended as 'cheap and cheery but adequate'. I dont even know whether it qualifies as a hotel. It felt more like a prison cell. We knew it would be basic but never in a million years expected it to be such a terrible experience. For a start it is on an industrial estate, in an isolated area. There were several unsavoury looking characters loitering outside and one in particular standing semi-naked in a ground floor window, smoking a cigarette as we arrived. After a long journey we at least expected to be able to get refreshments but no - two empty vending machines in the foyer. No staff at all overnight. Rooms which reeked of cigarette smoke and were cold, with no toilet facilities. My 11 yr old son was frightened by the environment. I dont believe it is acceptable to have to wander corridors at night in order to use the loo or shower 'pod'. I certainly wouldn't have let my children go to the loos alone, the whole environment felt very unsafe.
None of our family of 4 slept well. We woke exhausted around 6am when other residents started to rise and move around. They were inconsiderate and noisy and soundproofing obviously did not feature in the design of the rooms - one ignoramous actually broke wind outside our door and he might as well have been in the room with us.
There were no indoor seats available for the derisory breakfast that was served, it was too cold to sit outside where seats were available. The advertised continental breakfast of pastries was not available, instead just chunks of baguette . We couldnt wait to leave this hell hole. Never again!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank veiga2001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Netherlands
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I actually laughed when I entered the hotel room
Very very basic, indeed.
It smelled of triplex wood.
Well, it's cheap, so what do you expect. I arrived after check-in time, but you can check in anyway, using your chip and probably with a cc as well. It took me some time to figure out how the door lock worked, though. Stressful...^_^
It's VERY close to the highway, so sitting outside is no where near relaxing.

All in all, if you have the choice, I'd advise the etappe on the other side of town. almost the same price, but far more comfortable.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Meyem

Travellers are raving about these Mondeville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mondeville
Premiere Classe Caen Est - Mondeville
Campanile Caen Est - Mondeville
Quick Palace
Quick Palace
#25 of 41 in Caen

Been to hotelF1 Caen est Mondeville? Share your experiences!