“Lack of air-con an issue when it's hot”

Premiere Classe Caen Est - Mondeville
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mondeville
Petersfield, UK
“Lack of air-con an issue when it's hot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here in August at the end of our holiday and needing someowhere handy for the ferry in the morning, plus the Buffalo Grill immediately next door was a bonus.

Compared to the Premiere Class on our outward journey, this one did feel a little "down at heel" and in need of a refresh. The room ( on the ground floor) was comfortable enough although soundproofing could have been a little better as we could hear movement and loud voices from next door.

The advertised wifi didn't work either which wasn't a major issue but more of a frustration.

Biggest issue was the lack of air conditioning which made it unbearable during the night, even with the small window open. So if staying again, I'd make sure I brought the fan along!

It does the job and for the price can't complain that much

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Carry-le-Rouet, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

What can you say about a hotel that came to the fore in a moment of great need...? This, of course, is a rhetorical question, but I will answer it anyway. It is a lighthouse, a candle in the window, a safe haven, a firsthand encounter with the old adage, "Beggars can't be choosers."
My editor sent me an email one week prior to the 70th anniversary of D-Day and asked me to cover the event. Hmmm, I said to myself, there are no flights from Provence, where I live, because the airspace is closed over most of Normandy for security reasons. Understandable considering the number of world leaders attending the commemoration. Miraculously, there was a seat on the train; one from Provence Aix en Provence TGV and one from Paris to Caen. Transportation was key, accommodation was secondary since, I reasoned, I could always sleep in my rental car, that is, if there were a rental car available! Avis stepped up to the plate and even upgraded me. Dear, dear Avis. Note: Join Avis and become a Preferred member. They have always taken care of me and offered the upgrades. Next, the monumental job of finding a hotel since most hotels had been booked two years in advance. I contacted friends of friends of friends who had relatives in Normandy. Little Bed and Breakfasts were available here and there, but miles away from the activity. Finally, via booking.com, I found Premiere Classe Caen Est – Mondeville. I pulled it up on the map and saw that it was right by the freeway. I had never slept in a hotel by the freeway. I could always buy swimmer’s wax for my ears; parking would be safe and convenient; Leon of Bruxelles restaurant famous for mussels was right next door. Sleep? What sleep? I would be bouncing from one event to the next and canvassing the countryside of Normandy in search of civilians with memories of D-Day. Arrival at the hotel would be very late every night and I would be comatose, anyway. What finally convinced me to book was the fact that the hotel had not inflated its prices beyond all reason like so many of the other hotels. Yes, there were hotels available, but at just under 400 euros the night. I wasn’t about to ask my editor for that kind of budget. Even I have scruples.
Serendipitously, I found a hotel convenient to everything; the train station; an Internet café (I had computer woes); restaurants and all of the events necessary to write my article. The Premiere Classe Caen Est – Mondeville is a functional hotel that appreciates a formula that works. I had a very cordial reception. Madame helped me with maps and directions and addresses. This is a clean, no fuss hotel with rooms not unlike economical cruise ship cabins. Sheets were crisp, surfaces spotless and towels sufficient and above all, the price was correct for a short order reservation. I dined at Leon of Bruxelles the first night and I have to say for a chain restaurant, the food was excellent and the service impeccable. Two minutes by foot from the hotel. There are other restaurants, as well, for a bit of selection for a late night meal. Breakfast for a non-breakfast kind of person like me was correct at 4.90 euros. Coffee, a bit of toast, yogurt, juice and I’m flying out the door to my car parked conveniently in the lot attached to the hotel (no additional charge). Good job Premiere Classe. Merci!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Redon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This lived up exactly to what I expected of a Premiere Classe Hotel. It was clean comfortable and air conditioned. The free WiFi worked fine which is not usually the case in hotel rooms. It was near a busy main road which had traffic all night but as I was very tired after a hard day touring the Nomandy Beaches that didn't matter but for a longer stay it would be annoying.

I had to leave before breakfast and it was funny to see neighbours had left their boots outside their room doors. I am sure it was not in the hope that they would be cleaned but probably after a days hard walking they couldn't stand the smell!

This hotel is very convenient for the Memorials in and around Caen. Just off the peripherique.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Golspie, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

It was substantially cheaper than any other budget hotels in Normandy, and Normandy was really busy (it was the week before the 70th anniversary of D-Day celebrations and everywhere was heaving). However, the French can do rude in a style all of their own, and the receptionist was as good at being rude as anyone. I am partially disabled and had reserved a ground floor room, which was unavailable; this turned out to be my fault as I should have phoned to reserve such a room; that'll teach me for booking by internet. I wasn't the only one who had this, either: an American War Veteran who was there as part of the D-Day celebrations had likewise reserved a ground floor room (his leg was in a brace) a year in advance but had been let down. There was no receptionist to sort his dilemma out (reception is unmanned after 9pm) either, so he and his wife were pretty distressed. The rooms in this hotel are TINY - be warned, don't take lots of baggage with you, leave it in the car and take what you need. There is no elevator to the upper floors either. All in all, a fairly forgettable stay - thank God it was only one night!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Mondeville hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stopped at the Premiere Classe for a night each way on our drive down to Brittany and first of all had problems finding it with the Sat Nav although when we did it was wasy to find for the return journey. It is set in a big retail park with lots of restaurants nearby to choose from which are open 7 days a week, very handy if you don't want to drive out again. The room is typical of Premiere Classe with a double bed and bunk over the top and a small wet room style bathroom. We appreciated the TV which had a French childrens channel so kept our 4 year old quiet for a minute or two! The only negative really is that the room was unbearably hot as the air con didn't seem to be working, even at midnight most of the patrons were sat out on the walkway around the hotel as it was too hot to sleep. We would stay again but probably not when it's 30 degrees outside!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We usually love the Premiere Classe hotels - they are normally clean and easy to reach and good value for money. We had actually previously stayed at this particular hotel so I booked it again.
Unfortunately we were given a room on the freeway side and even worse the stench of cigarette smoke was overwhelming - it was in the bedding, the curtains the mattress.
Only the fact that we had endured a 24hr flight made sleep possible.
The noise from the neighbours outside our door and through the wall was frustrating as well.

Room Tip: Stay away from coner rooms and those facing the freeway.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nush_S
Crewe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We have stayed in a number of budget hotels in France over the past 10 years and so have some experience of this class of hotel.Unfortunately,this hotel room was very cramped.There was very little space to walk between the end of the bed and the wall(probably about 500 mm).The bathroom was also cramped.Within reason,one can accept a small room in a capital city eg Paris,London or Tokio(We have stayed in all of these citys) but not on the outskirts of Caen.We have stayed in Etaps and B et B hotels on the edge of Caen over the past 10 years and never had a cramped room like this.Sorry-but would not recommend this hotel unless you are struggling to find a hotel near Caen.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dayelash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mondeville
Ibis Budget Caen Mondeville
My Hotel
My Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ifs
Kyriad Caen Sud - IFS

Been to Premiere Classe Caen Est - Mondeville? Share your experiences!