Open today: 10:00 - 17:00

Enjoyable Revisit

Reviewed 18 September 2018
busterSolihull
Birmingham, United Kingdom

All reviews beautiful garden home made cakes formal gardens manor house hidden gem herbaceous borders worth a visit specimen trees sign posting golden valley google maps lovely cafe few hours tea room plant nursery orange cake hha members
Reviewed 3 October 2018

This garden continuously unfolds into the landscape and has fantastic valley views. Sadly we visited at the end of this years long hot summer and the garden was clearly past its best, but took on an air of faded grandeur rather than struggling plot.

I will have to return when it has had a less stressful season to really appreciate it.

Miserden Gardens have a great little plant nursery attached, reasonably priced and a super little café. Well worth a visit.

EstateOffice2018, Miserden Estate at The Garden at Miserden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you at Miserden again soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

My wife and I had rejoined HHA again for the fourth year (£80.00 visited 25 properties last year) and decided to visit Miserden again as last year we had our dog with us and could only visit the nursery and cafe. We enjoyed a stroll around the gardens and glad we had visited ( found the house itself very impressive from outside) and that it is free for HHA members as I am not sure I would pay £7.50.

Reviewed 19 August 2018

Easy to find with SATNAV, in the village of Miserden, just enough parking facility, friendly welcome and a good map is provided.
Small cafe with very good coffee and a selection of cakes and lunch is available.
A self guided tour of these beautiful gardens set upon different levels and in Conjunction with the stunning views of countryside.
I felt as though I was floating through an Edwardian garden, spacious shrub beds, regimental hedge row and a manor house that can be admired from the gardens but is private.
Free entry for Historic Houses members, this was a delightful way to spend and hour and a half on a beautiful warm afternoon.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Absolutely fantastic with great views into valleys as you move around. Well worth a visit plus the garden centre

EstateOffice2018, Miserden Estate at The Garden at Miserden, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Wednesday 18 July 18, I decided to go to visit Miserden Gardens. These attractive gardens date from the 17th century and overlook the Golden Valley at Miserden Park, and feature yew topiary designed by the famous Edwardian architect and designer Sir Edward Lutyens, as well as colourful double herbaceous borders, terraced lawns, a formal parterre, walled garden, a summer house and a rill garden.

The gardens are set against the beautiful backdrop of Miserden Park House, a lovely 17th century manor, built in 1620 and owned by the ‘Wills’ family since 1910. The house is not open to the public.

The location on a sloping hillside offers wonderful views over the rolling Cotswold Hills. The walled garden has roses and herbaceous borders, specimen trees, and a formal parterre with a sundial at its centre. There are colourful displays of flowers, with fanciful topiary acting as a backdrop. Some of the topiary figures were designed by Sir Edward Lutyens.

There is a summer house made from reclaimed stone and tiles gathered from the estate, and a lovely water feature complete with a fountain at the centre. There is a mulberry tree that was planted in 1620, the same year as the house was built.
There is also an arboretum arranged to give glimpses of the wonderful countryside views. The estate stretches to 3000 acres of beautiful Cotswold countryside, including the entire village of Miserden and its historic church.

I spent five hours in this wonderful garden. It was so peaceful and all you could hear was the bees buzzing and sheep bleating. There were also lots of interesting garden sculptures around the garden, which turned every corner into a magical Pandora’s Box of delights. Whilst I was here I wrote a poem called ‘Miserden Magic’.

Late afternoon I decided that I was in need of refreshment, so I went to the ‘Miserden Tearoom’ situated in a glass house within a nursery which sells hardy perennials, bedding plants, shrubs and roses.

I had a large slice of blueberry and orange cake, which was really scrumptious and a elderflower presse, which I needed as I was quite thirsty. I wrote a poem about a rabbit whilst I was here called ‘The Friend In The Sky’.

1  Thank Carol B
EstateOffice2018, Miserden Estate at The Garden at Miserden, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Thank you for your lovely and informative review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and to learn you spent time in the garden and the cafe writing poetry, that is really wonderful to hear.
We look forward to seeing you at Miserden again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

We enjoyed visiting this garden. It was one of those gardens that was not too busy and that made it very relaxing. The Lutyens influence could be seen. After walking around we sat outside the cafe and had an enjoyable coffee. In the cafe there were copies of several walks that can be taken from Miserden, a nice idea.

Reviewed 25 July 2018

I visited because Miserden was the HHA Garden of the Year so perhaps my expectations were too high. It was smaller and less interesting than I'd expected, and perhaps this is because most of the garden is visible early on. There's no sense of 'discovery' or much variety.

The setting is beautiful and the borders were looking good - and much better than I'd expected given the recent exceptionally hot weather.

I often visit obscure places without any trouble, but it was difficult finding this one. The directions on the website are only from Cirencester so not really useful for those of us coming from a different direction. Road signs for Miserden often obscured by foliage, and those for the garden are so tasteful and discreet that they're not readily apparent. As they just say 'The Garden Nursery and Cafe', I wasn't sure as I drove in that I'd found Miserden Park, nor whether I'd found the garden, as opposed to its nursery - a comma would be useful between 'garden' and 'nursery'!

Gave some gentle feedback about the difficulty finding the garden but the person on the ticket desk didn't seem interested. None of the gardeners smiled or said hello. I spent most of the visit vaguely feeling as if I shouldn't be there!

There was pleasant service in the cafe but the food was disappointing. Very limited choice, and everything savory seemed to have compulsory spring onions which meant living with the taste of onion for the rest of the day ... Portions small and coffee, while good, came in a cup that was tiny compared with what's offered in most places.

I see from the responses to other reviews that feedback is welcome so I hope these comments are useful. I wish the garden well but it could perhaps do with a fresh eye from an outsider, especially for the directions. (Even the map on the back of the brochure is inaccurate, as it doesn't show that you have to take the fork at Fostons Ash and then turn left soon afterwards.)

1  Thank Anon_Bristol_12

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and as you mentioned, all comments are taken on board to help us improve the experience for our visitors. We are happy to learn you found the setting beautiful and hope you will return to Miserden again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Of course the garden was so dry but absolutely beautiful. Lots of seats with lovely views. Small garden centre with unusual plants and a cafe with cakes and drinks. The whole visit was a delight and we will return to see the garden in different seasons.

2  Thank Shirley C
EstateOffice2018, Miserden Estate at The Garden at Miserden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Quick break after a long day geocaching.

Only visited the cafe. Coffee and a flapjack each and we were on our way again.

Thank you for your review, we hope you will have time to look around the garden for your next visit. We look forward to seeing you at Miserden again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Unfortunately the prolonged period of hot, dry, & at times windy weather has taken its toll on this & many other gardens. Don't get me wrong the garden is still worth a visit but does look tired in places but that's no reflection on the owners & gardeners. With the best will in the world one is fighting a losing battle with the current weather conditions. Nothing can replace rainfall to revive the ground & flora; I know as we have an allotment. Hosing for long periods of time only dampens the surface, we need rain to penetrate to the roots. Most of the garden is on the level but a few areas involves walking up & down grassy banks or steps but the views from the level ground are excellent anyway. There is a good plant nursery on site as well. We cannot comment on the tea room as we did not use it. The only downside is that from the A417 road the garden is not signposted (I stand corrected if it is) & if one approaches Miserden from certain directions the sign posting is a bit hit & miss. Be prepared for single track roads.

EstateOffice2018, Miserden Estate Office at The Garden at Miserden, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, the prolonged period of hot weather has been challenging for many gardens, including Miserden. We do not have an irrigation system and have also been mindful about using water in a sustainable way. Thank you for your feedback, we will take your comments on board to help us improve the experience for our visitors. We look forward to welcoming you back to the garden again.