“Comfortable, clean hotel, let down by food.”

Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blunsdon
GreenLeadersGold level
England
“Comfortable, clean hotel, let down by food.”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel back in December and overall had a very enjoyable stay. Plenty of car parking space, smooth check inn etc. Room was comfortable, a little dated but it was clean.

Breakfast was very good with no problems.
The only thing taht bugged me was evenign meal and this was taken in the carvery. After being shown to our table, we were told to go and help ourselves at teh Carvery and it was pointed out that starters and desserts were located to the far side.

Went to get a starter and looked at the blackboard or similar which said soup of the day (Cream of Tomato) and went to serve meself and it was not Tomato but Mushroom which was ok to eat but why not correct the signage?

Went to get main dish and was only offered one meat (Gammon) - nothing else on display, along with one yorkshire pudding which had been sat for quite a while and was fairly brittle and cold. No offer for fresh ones and to be honest, once the meat had been placed on the plate, the chef disapeared and then no staff behind the counter. Things were covered to keep them warm but again i think these had been standing for a while and nothing to tell you what was in each dish without removong the covers. Not a major issue but something which annoys me if no staff to help and advise.

Dessert was ok but again for a 4 star hotel, would have expected alot better.
Would certainly use the hotel as its comfortable and in a good location and with some impovement in service and food, could be an excellent hotel.

Another plus side is the massive lounge areas available to relax in.

Room Tip: We stayed in the old part of the hotel and did not get to experience the newer rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business and also for business meetings. First impressions were good as there was plenty of parking and the frontage looked impressive.

I checked in at reception and asked the location of the meeting room my company had booked.

However, as I spend a large part of my working life in hotels, I felt that my basic needs were not met at reception. I was not advised where the restaurant was or whether there was a choice of restaurants. I was not advised where the bar was or opening hours. I am not disputing that this is a 'nice' hotel, I simply feel that the customer experience could be improved by some casual up-selling by way of good information. I may even go as far to say that my presence felt like it was being tolerated.

When we did venture into the/a restaurant (there may have been a choice, I wasn't told) it was of the Carvery style where you help yourself. Given I had a foreign guest of some importance with me, I felt I wasn't giving the best impression. We were shown to a seat but weren't actually advised of the options until we called someone over and asked. Again, I felt like in inconvenience.

The food was disappointing, that is all the comment it is worth.

Following dinner, I will say that my room was cosy, comfy and homely. My only criticism would be to say that, for the money, a TV with an easier to navigate Freeview menu would be better. It was simply not obvious.

After a lovely nights sleep in a lovely room (credit where credit is due), I headed down to breakfast. Again, having not been advised by reception staff where and when breakfast was served (a basic), I asked at reception and was told where to go.

Right, I realise I will probably be receiving a defensive apology from 'management' but, the following MUST be said. The breakfast was SHOCKING. I have already stated that I spend a large part of my working life in hotels, of varying star ratings and standards I admit, but I know what a breakfast should be. At the least, a full English should be easy enough??. No. apparently not.

I had breakfast at an early hour and yet, again despite staff standing around, had to ask where to sit (the answer I got was 'wherever') and the food was most unimpressive.

Despite being early, the bacon managed to be dry, giving the impression they had been there a while, the sausages were quite tasteless but, the worst of all, were the eggs. Fried eggs were solid and the scrambled eggs were gelatinous (I guess from a carton and not real eggs) and still managed to be swimming in a pool of liquid (I hope butter).

This hotel has the potential to be great, yet is let down by a young staff who simply seem grateful to have a job and have no real customer focus or desire to give the paying clients the best experience possible.

Also, for the love of God, please work on the breakfast. I am not the only person who believes it is the most important meal of the day and, when you pay for it, it should impress.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ipylon
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Good hotel for the price. The hotel rooms tend to be in a relatively modern building a short distance from the main building which is fine and some great views. Rooms on the middle and upper floors are definitely a lot better than the lower floor, as there isn't air conditioning the door to get fresh air leads straight onto a patio so can't really keep it open when hot.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

The only let down is food. The room service menu is small so if you stay regularly can get boring and things have been on there but not available for months which isn't good. Steak and chips to eat in your room was £27 and really wasn't great. V average and a little tough steak, one tomato , 3 deep fried onion rings and standard frozen chips, I was expecting a lot better quality for that price.

Overall would recommend a stay here but maybe consider the food options and stick only to the cheaper items. If they could get this right then 5 stars for the rooms not on the ground floor as.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bridtoltobyk
United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We ate at the carvery today. We've been here many times as a couple and also a group of 8+. We opted for a starter of salad, meats, salmon etc. There was soup on offer too. We then had a main. I had beef which was perfect. There were 3 on offer you could have 1 meat 2 or all 3. The selection of veg was brill too. Great choices for veggies aswell. We prefer starters and mains so we didn't have a pud today but I know from previous visits the puds are very yummy too!! We will be back soon :-)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our 4th year staying at this hotel for their New Year's Eve celebrations. Each year around 20 of us go and we are never disappointed. The rooms are comfortable and warm, only one small issue this time was that the safe didn't work in our room and they couldn't mend it. The food is more than plentiful, and good variety. The staff work tirelessly, a lot are related to the family who run the hotel or are long standing staff, and are always pleasant and very helpful. The hotel is perfectly situated for walking,and not too far from 2 shopping areas, bowling ,and cinemas. On site there is a leisure club with swimming pool,table tennis, tennis courts and spa facilities.
An all round excellent hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Disappointed with programme. Disco unsuitable for majority of guests who were elderly. Room too hot. Bottled water drinkers beware. How much would you expect to pay at a hotel compared to supermarket price-double or perhaps treble the price? No, at Blunsdon a one litre bottle of Highland Spring water costs £3.50, a massive 10 times the supermarket price for the same Highland Spring brand. What a rip off!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Blunsdon, Owner at Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Zellend,

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy the Christmas programme. We strive very hard to ensure all of guests enjoy a Christmas away from home, a potentially stressful time,

To ensure that our customers are aware of the product specifics, we publish a detailed itinerary well in advance of the event . It details everything from Santa's arrival time via Rolls Royce to the evening entertainment programmes - information that is widely and publicly available. Thankfully, we have received a great deal of praise for this years programme from the vast majority of our guests.

All of our bedrooms have individually thermostatic controls allowing a guest to control the temperature of their bedroom locally. Furthermore a large number (over 60%) of our rooms are air conditioned and we are also able to provide additional fans upon request (as detailed in the guest directory). Our building management system reports that the bedroom corridors were a stable 18C during your stay, something we consider to be well within acceptable parameters.

The price of our glass bottled water is in keeping with four star hotel prices, they compare favourable with our local competitors and are clearly published for our guests to see. A quick internet search reveals that this product retails at approximately £1.35 from food wholesalers, ironically somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 of the price at which we sell it. We certainly do not accept that this represents a "rip off" when provided in the context of a full service hotel.

Given that you have evidently visited us several times (presumably enjoyably?) and only now created an account specifically to post this review- it is very disappointing that you did not bring any of your concerns to our attention at the time of your stay. We would always prefer our guests to raise issues promptly as it allows us to resolve them immediately and make your stay at Blunsdon all the more enjoyable.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2014,

Chris Clifford
Ownership Family
For Blunsdon House Hotel Ltd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blunsdon
Alexandra House
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#1 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!