“Haunting.”

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial Walking Tour
US$70.72*
Private Tour: Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp from Berlin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Haunting and scary. I was here on my own in the cold. The place was deserted. My feelings of uncomfortable were nothing compared to what the poor souls who were imprisoned here in little more than cloth pyjamas must have experienced. It is a horror on a grand scale. The museum is informative and modern. Well laid out. The camp is large so make sure you have comfortable shoes on and you are wrapped up if it is cold. I ended up with a fever after visiting as it was so cold. The bus back from the camp takes a long time to come and pick you up. Perhaps taxi ride from camp to station is better idea.

There are newer reviews for Musee de Sachsenhausen

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This is a preserved memory of the "Dark" side of Hitler and the Nazis how they exterminated the Jews of Europe. It is incomprehensible that the diabolical crimes perpetrated by the Nazi regime could have happened. It was an example where a dictator had no system of checks or balances. The history also showed that when the end was approaching and Hitler was going to be found, he took the coward way out and chose not to fight for his "sick" cause but to essentially commit suicide. He and his military cronies were also cowards and chose not to fight but to hide and hope no one would find them. Sachsenhausen is a must visit for anyone traveling to Berlin so that this tragic story can be told.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I took a tour with Berlin Insider Tours to the camp. Being able to actually be in a place where such sad things happened was quite overwhelming. Highly recommedned educational visit. I would recommend goign with a tour guide, I feel like I got a lot more out of it than I would have otherwise.

(It is a long walk from the train station to the camp so be prepared)

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We visited this as part of a free tour provided by the museum, meeting at the Potsdamer Platz at 10:20 on Sunday. (www.stiftung-bg.de and click on the visitor service tab). Our guide Robert was great, starting with a more interesting walk to the site than others got. His 2hr tour picked out the highlights - if you can call them that. This museum is tastefully done. It's a devastingly sad place. The exhibits are extensive and we spent another few hours here after Robert had finished his tour. He was very knowledgable. You could easily spend a whole day here, highly recommended.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We chose to visit Sachsenhausen with Sandemans as their free walking tour of Berlin was fantastic. The tour cost €15 plus the cost of an ABC travel card which I think is very reasonable. The entire trip is very well organised and Seb, originally from Madrid and then the UK, was a very good and informative guide.

I would recommend visiting with a guide, as the majority of what I learnt came from Seb. This does restrict your time at the camp, but you get a good overview of what happened here and all the main points of interest are covered. If you went alone, you could spend days looking at and reading every exhibit, so Sandeman's do well to compact it. The freezing temperature certainly contributed to the impact it can have on visitors, I find it impossible to imagine the suffering.

I hadn't visited a concentration camp memorial before, Sachsenhausen was a good introduction to the topic.

2  Thank GemmaCaselton