“AVOID!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kempen
San Diego, California
“AVOID!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Unfriendly staff, no restaurant, and not at all comfortable. I stayed back in the winter and was a little sick. I was put in a room outside of the main building and across the parking area. The steps leading up to the room were icy and so I asked for help with my bag. I was told "we don´t do that". I also asked if I could take a room in the main building and they told me that was not possible (even though the parking lot was empty and I only saw one other person during my stay). My door was not sealed so I heard all outside noises and cold air came through. The door to the shower would not shut so the floor was totally wet, and my TV didn´t work. I called about the TV and they said they would send someone up to look at it, but no one ever came. I called back about 1 1/2 hours later and the lady at reception was rude and hung up on me. No one ever came to fix it. I told the reception the next morning that I was very unsatisfied with the room and the service and she offered no explaination or apology. My advise: sleep in your car before staying in this "hotel". It is more like a family guest house popular in Europe. The price should be no more than €20 or so. Then you could tolerate the lousy service and crappy room.

Room Tip: Go to the Hotel Thomasstadt or Hotel Alt Kempen. Both are quite nice for the little town and have f...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank tbook7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Antwerpen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Checked in Sunday night with my colleague.
Checked out Wednesday morning.
Was charged 5 nights instead of 3. (cancellation fee of 160eur)

On Tuesday evening i went to inform the reception that i would have to check out Wednesday instead of Friday due to some unexpected change in my travel schedule. I was told (in a non friendly way) that they would charge me 5 nights. "because they were fully booked".

This never happened to me before in any other hotel when having to check out earlier then originally planned. It did happen to me before that i was charged 1 night due to late cancellation,which is standard in just about any hotel i know.

On the bottom of their website you can find a small link to their AGB (German only) including their cancellation policy / fees which i advice you to read carefully before booking.

Since my company's travel agency did the booking for me i didnt read this off course.

Nice to know: They charged me the 2 additional nights (160Eur) while my colleague occupying the room directly below mine told me the room was taken by somebody else the same day i checked out so the hotel earned double on my room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank J W

Travellers are raving about these Kempen hotels

Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

My wife and I stayed here to break a journey from Kiel back home to the UK. My wife booked a room via email for € 88 before we embarked on our journey.

On arrival on the late afternoon of 26th October, we were told that we had been given Room 48. This turned out to be in the back courtyard with a door from the courtyard straight into the room. It was built at right angles onto the kitchen. This meant that the curtain had to be kept closed so as to preserve privacy. It also meant that when in the bathroom, you could clearly hear the 'goings on' in the kitchen and presumably vice versa.

Worse still, the hotel management had decided that the best place for the standing ashtray for the staff smokers' corner was right next to our front door. That probably explained the smell of cold smoke in the room. Windows had to be kept shut to keep out noise and smoke.

Given the time of day, we were not minded to go searching for a new hotel and so put up with the room for one night. We later discovered that the shower door did not shut properly and were unimpressed with the ant bait on display in the bathroom.

A lonely fact on the plus side was that the buffet breakfast next morning was good, although we were dismayed to hear a fellow guest being warned that the Cappucino she had ordered would cost extra. This seemed so small-minded.

On our way to the town to make some purchases before checking out, I saw a big sign on the hotel wall advertising rooms from € 80. Thinking we were paying €88 for a terrible room, I wondered how bad an € 80 room would be.

On checking out, my wife was asked how breakfast was. She said it was good, but that the room wasn't. The receptionist - to her amazement - agreed with her! My wife was asked whether she had been warned about the room - which we hadn't been.

The receptionist was busy with a 'phone call and arranged for my wife to be given a bottle of Sekt by way of compensation. Needing to join me in the car to continue our journey to make our train, my wife was unable to pursue the matter further.

An apologetic email awaited us on our return home. However a better impact would have been achieved by an immediate and full apology before we left accompanied by some gesture such as greatly reducing or even scrapping the bill.

In our response, we made our displeasure plain. We told them we would report our experiences and explicitly said that we would warn about this room, for which no more than €40 should be charged. Room 48 is substandard. If sold as such with an appropriately significant price reduction, then it might be fair. The way the hotel now behaves is unfair

This is the type of place you should treat with great caution and - if you have a choice (which you should have) - go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gwenver
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Came from calais on the way to Denmark, this hotel is easy to get to from the E34 motorway.

Booked Room nr. 10, Room was super - clean and nice. Hotel staff super friendly and
helpfull. Had dinner in restaurant in hotel, it was perfect. Bathroom was very good.

All in all, this hotel is a perl located in Kempen Germany. If you need a pitstop on your
way through Europe, this hotel is definately recommendable !!!!. I have been to many
hotels in my life, and this is the best one sofar.

Large parking lot right behind the hotel.

Did i mention it was cheap also !!?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kempen
PP-Hotel Grefrather Hof
Haus Thoeren Hotel
Haus Thoeren Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kerken
Bilderberg Hotel De Bovenste Molen

Been to Hotel Papillon? Share your experiences!