Travelled here the first 2 weeks of May with my wife and 2 boys aged 13 and 11. We usually go all inclusive 4 or 5 star. Being a snob it was an attempt to avoid the loud, snout-in-trough clientele that frequent our usual holiday hotel. Success !
A modern hotel, 99% unscathed by the February earthquakes and just the relaxing haven we were looking for. We had a Family Duplex Room which was very nice and all areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean. No problems with water pressure or temperature at any time and towels changed every day.Linen changed regurlarly. Limited T.V. channels.
Large pool,again, spotlessly clean, and very comfortable sunbeds. Shallow baby pool and main pool has a depth of 1.5 metres lowering to 1 metre.
Food was very nice, both breakfast and dinner.Always plenty of choice. Poolside taverna was nice at lunchtime with meals priced between 6-10 euros.The poolside bar served any drink you could desire but was a little pricey, 5 euros for a large beer and 8 euros for cocktails. A bottle of wine was 12 euros but unlike one of the previous reviewers, i found both red and white very nice indeed. Much better than previous hotels we have stayed at. All alcoholic drinks apart from the wine are half price between 4-6pm.Restaurant was much less canteen like than i was expecting and all the staff were fantastic, especially Fay and the young lady Giona who kept my glass topped up and always managed to spill a drop down the side of my glass. It was her first 2 weeks at the job and she was so charming and tried so hard that i found it endearing.
Elina at the pool bar was also exceptional. The beautiful Theadora doubled up as one of the receptionists and resident art expert.What an asset to the hotel she is. Mr George or George Kontorinis, the hotel Operations Manager is an absolute star. So friendly and always has an interesting story to tell about any subject in the world ! If you have a word with him, he can point you in the direction of a chap that will take you out to the uninhabited island.its only 5 minutes and he can pick you up whenever you choose.Because of the earthquake this and other watersports and tavernas weren't open along the beach but things should be up and running by now. The hotel manager was always walking around and the owner turned up 3 or 4 times whilst we were there.Both very friendly.
The hotel was fairly quiet during our stay, possibly due to the time of year, but i'd imagine most people use the hotel as a base to explore kefalonia and may not get hectic even in high season.Car hire is available a 1 minute walk from the hotel.
Entertainment is low key. George is still tinkling the ivories,very well in my opinion, and the outdoor cinema shows big films from the last few years. Modern art in the art gallery this year. Very interesting but over my head i'm afraid. Theadora did her best to explain !
My 2 boys and i used the tennis court every morning and spent the afternoons swimming and playing table tennis and reading. We didn't get to see much of the island but what we did see was beautiful.
Would definately recommend this hotel and will certainly be returning.Would probably stay in the swim up maisonettes next time. Didn't think so until we were shown around one and they really are very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Apollonion Resort & Spa is a newly built 5* hotel. It is located in Lixouri of Kefalonia, in the region Xi, well known for its long golden sand beach. The excellent range of facilities at our Luxury Hotel is complemented by the high standard services from the professionally trained friendly staff. The unique architecture, the stylish lounge with genuine pieces of contemporary art, reflect the glamor of this Luxury Kefalonian resort. The Art Gallery hosts unique painting exhibitions throughout the Summer season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Odigeo, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Bookgreece.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apollonion Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apollonion Hotel Lixouri
- Apollonion Resort And Spa
- Apollonion Resort & Spa Lixouri, Cephalonia