“Perfect in June”

Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lixouri
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just spent a week half board at the Apollonion. A wonderful greeting at reception, complementary drink, and golf buggy and luggage efficiently straight to the room. Wow! what a room, stunning suite with reception with TV, enormous double bedroom and fabulous bathroom. This Hotel still feels like new.
Breakfast the next morning was a quality spread for all nationalities, great fresh cakes, bread etc, and sausage, bacon, beans, eggs for the Brits.
Daytime-we didn't actually use the facilities as we had a rental car, so never actually used the pool, but only through our own choice as we are beach dwellers.
Would highly recommend a rental car as the Hotel is remote and Kefalonia is a stunning Island well worth discovering. Try Vatsa Beach, or Kounopetra, only 15 minute drive West, but so so quiet.
Back for dinner in the evening-again a great spread, buffet style, but still waiter service for drinks. Lovely atmosphere-and a bit of light music at the open air bar after.
This is a stunning 'get away from it all' retreat, ideal for couples, honeymoon, or retired, but not
for 'clubbers'.
Please don't just sit by the pool all day for the week, get a car and explore, there's so many beautiful little bays with clear blue waters and the days last for ever!!

3  Thank Paul J
gm-apollonion, General Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Paul J,
Thank you very much for the nice review and your valuable comments.
We shall be most happy to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I booked this resort through Thomson after deciding upon it because of all the good reviews here on Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor has always come good for us in our hotel choices and this hotel gets a big thumbs up too.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Its location is a bit further out as it's in Lixouri not in the more touristy parts of Kefalonia but this didn't matter as all we were after was a relaxing spot with plans to not really do anything other than sunbathe. Our transfer included a short ferry ride due to which we weren't looking forward to but this ended up being a lovely part of the trip as you get to see some fantastic views and it's so well organised it goes by so fast.

The hotel staff are excellent, they are so attentive and polite. The room was lovely. Very spacious and more importantly, very clean. The room had all the usual things you would expect minus an iron-which didn't bother me. The bathroom was very modern and to my relief had a great shower. The hotel is modernly decorated and and reflects a very professional set up.

We stayed on a half board basis. The food was fantastic. I'm sure they rotate the menu from week to week but with only staying a week we didn't experience this and every evening the choices of food from the buffet was excellent. The food is cooked to a high standard, you even get to see the chefs preparing it all. There was so much choice that I'm sure it catered, in my opinion, for everyone there. Breakfast was excellent too, always set us up for the day. We ate a couple of times in the day restaurant, La Pergola. This was also lovely.

The pool area was great. Lots of sunbeds to choose from. I imagine at peak holiday season there would be alot of early morning sunbed hogging but for us this wasn't a problem. There were quite a few families with young children staying when we visited which didn't really affect our peaceful holiday. I would maybe recommend hiring a car though if you want to do a bit of sightseeing as there's not much to see or do within walking distance. There is a small beach close by and a teeny tiny shop which I would say is about 300 metres walk.

Our only criticism of the whole holiday is the dress code rule of the restaurant for the evening time. Before I criticise I just need to point out that I agree with the policy. On our third evening I was asked to go and change as I wasn't wearing the appropriate footwear. The Matre D told me I was wearing "slippers"! I wasn't obviously. I had on a pair of plain black flil flops (which I'd worn every evening upto this point) and these were only ever meant for evening wear not for pool side. Being a typical Brit I didn't argue I left, feeling so embarrassed, and changed into my only other pair of non flip flop shoes-a pair of Vans! How a pair of sportwear style shoes are more appropriate I don't know. Also can I just point out that on this particular evening I was also wearing smart linen trousers and a smart floaty top so all in all I thought I looked presentable. I know rules are rules, which is why I didn't argue, but this incident made me so much more aware of all the other guest's choice of attire. So many people were allowed to come in wearing swim type shorts and scraggy t'shirts with trainers. Virtually every female wore thong style footwear sandels which all come under the flip flop category for me. So many women wore inappropriate shorts and tops that I couldn't believe they were allowed in either. I agree that beachwear should be covered for this kind of set up which is why I agree overall, but I just can't believe when I'm dressed so appropriately compared to so many others that I was sent away. Thank god I had travelled in my Vans because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to eat of an evening. I didn't realise I was dining at the Ritz! So a big thank you to the Matre d for making me feel so inadequate at meal times for the rest of my stay.

Anyway, moan over. Definitely book this hotel. We loved it and would definitely go back.

1  Thank Hobster13
gm-apollonion, General Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your detailed comments.
The well-meaning feedback that we receive is motivating us to improve our services.
Thank you very much for pointing out these issues.
At this point I would like to apologize for what may have seemed abrupt or impolite with the dress code issue. We are trying to maintain a kind of standard during the evening meals that would be suitable to the majority of our diners.

General Manage

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for one week on a half board basis and had a really great time. The food is out of this world, an amazing variety of menu superbly cooked and service overseen by the executive chef who was always at a service. A Matre d , who makes you feel part of the family, beautiful grounds, superbly maintained by the hardest working groundsmen ever!!

Bar and restaurant staff, who knew their trade and were friendly and professional as indeed were the front desk staff. Rooms were spacious and beds ok (our double was two singles pushed together.....fine for us, not sure for younger couples!!). The cleanliness of room, bathroom and balcony was excellent...

So what is the "but"? It is more about it's identity; superb cuisine is provided with beautifully laid tables, in a resturant which has a dress code which includes men not wearing sandals (mostly ignored) but in a canteen buffet style which carries with it a time pressure to free up the table for the next.... Cuisine of this standard, served by staff of the standard employed, deserves to be a proper resturant table service experience - they would probably sell more wine then too!!

Similarly, the bar entertainment, some Greek dancing, some gentle and livelier (very good) piano playing......but then two nights of house mixing / dj etc.. Does the dj really add to the Apollonion's five star ambition? To my mind, no.

Another suggestion, why not open the Pergola Taverna in the evenings too for an alternative dining experience? Keep the cuisine Greek in there of course.

To my wife's mind, the most serious failing of all NO TEA AND COFFEE MAKING FACILITIES IN THE ROOM.......that is three star let alone five! A nice fridge, one complimentary bottle of water on arrival , what do you use the fridge for after that? After all you cannot consume anything on the premises not purchased there....

It is a really good hotel, and it could so easily be one of the greatest....I do hope my comments will be taken as constructive ( oh and ps, please improve your Wi Fi!).

Room Tip: Pandora block is nice and quiet and away from the pool and bar....
4  Thank Ian M
gm-apollonion, General Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
The feedback we receive is a very important source of reliable information motivating us to improve our services and facilities. Thank you very much for pointing out all these issues.
We shall make every possible effort to develop the satisfaction rate of our clients and eliminate where possible the "buts".

Reviewed 24 June 2014

One of the best holidays we have had mainly due the superb quality of the hotel and its staff. The rooms were well equipped, comfortable beds with high quality sheets (changed every other day); mini fridge; and the best air conditioning we have encountered. Food excellent and extensive wine list with good choice although the house wine is only 12euros and very palatable. the staff at the hotel are some of the nicest people you could encounter and could not do enough for you; they were always pleasant; very friendly and very polite, from the ladies on reception, the waiters and waitresses, bar staff along with the daily maids and grounds men. The art gallery at the hotel has some beautiful and exquisite paintings and the lady on the Gallery reception is very knowledgeable about most of the works there. There is also an outdoor cinema which has an excellent sound surround (which could be heard on most balconies at night) but when you closed your patio doors there was no sound. We were in block Pandora at the back, but I would say in my opinion, all the rooms are equally matched and as the music finished approx 11-12pm each evening, the whole complex is so relaxed and extremely quiet. The only negative about the hotel would be the lack of adherence to the dress code at evening dinner where some men were allowed into dinner in shorts and singlet vests, which for a hotel of this standard did not please some of the other discerning guests who would hope that if returning to the hotel, perhaps the management could implement this more in the near future to keep up their standards and to maintain their high ratings. The beach in the area is approx 5 mins easy walk from the hotel which is Xi beach of red sand. The sun beds on the beach are 6 euros a day but it is not the best of beaches as Kefalonia has some of the most beautiful beaches in the work including the famous Myrtos beach for which the journey down to is not for the faint hearted. the nicest beach we found which we thought was better than Myrtos, was Petini beach, mainly for the setting but this beach is made up of pure white pebbles and has two lovely tavernas there, whereas the is no taverna as such at Myrtos for lunch, as they only sell drinks and very light snacks. Back to the hotel, the only snag was the location made it very isolated and I would recommend hiring a car to see, what I can only describe as one of the most picturesque and stunning of all the Greek Islands. We only hope that we can visit Kefalonia again in the future and would not hesitate recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed pretty equal on the complex
2  Thank brymar21

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the nice review and your extremely valuable comments.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We love this hotel. First stayed here for our (late) honeymoon (with the 5 children) in August 2012. As there were 7 of us we got upgraded to a suite, which was fantastic with amazing views, quiet and peaceful. 2nd time was June 2013 for our first wedding anniversary. On arrival, late in the evening and were greeted with a refreshing drink, check in was quick and we were made to feel very welcome. Again lovely room (a little more noisy, mainly young children) but to be honest couldn't fault anything else so it was fine.

On our second visit in our room there were some nice sandwiches, a bottle of water and some fruit, a nice touch after a long day. Also as it was our anniversary there was a lovely bottle of wine and a notice wishing us a happy anniversary. A lovely touch, thank you.

During our stay we found staff to be friendly and welcoming, from the reception staff, dining staff, bar staff, cleaners, each one a credit to the hotel. The managers / owners were also there during the evening and again very welcoming and polite.

There was plenty of choice in the restaurant both in the morning and at night, the chefs were always visible, they were only too happy to get more food if something was missing, I believe they went above and beyond!

The pool area was always clean and there was plenty of sun beds and umbrellas. Such a relaxing atmosphere which is great for us.

Drinks were expensive, however I do expect that on holiday. There is a happy hour between 4pm and 6pm, best time to buy your bottles of water!
If you are looking for an active holiday then this isnt the place for you. But this is what we like.

We travelled with Thomson each time and found them great. We havent done any excursions as yet though this year we are planning on the island discovery excursion

1  Thank Clucker2012
gm-apollonion, Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had a lovely weeks holiday beginning of June. First time to Kephalonia, its a beautiful island. The hotel is first class. Rooms are spacious and well equipped, no kettles, but to be honest not many hotels abroad do. I took my travel kettle. The hotel is spotless, and all the staff are really friendly.
Restaurant is really well run, with the manager greeting us morning and evening, Food was good too, always plenty of choice, if I had a gripe it would be that there were no hot plates so by the time you get back to your table it wasn't always hot.Staff worked so hard to always keep tables cleared.
The location is very quiet, and i would recommend hiring a car,as there are so many lovely places to visit, especially Fiscardo..Its quite easy to catch the ferry across to Argostoli.
There isn't a lot for older children to do at the hotel, no entertainment although it was fine for our 2 year old grandson as there was a soft play area which he loved. I would say it was more for couples with a lovely spa.
I would definitely return as we had a wonderful holiday. Thanks to all the staff for making it so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floor have better views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank maudemoonshine
gm-apollonion, General Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife went here for a week. Didn't know what to expect from the hotel, as quite often you see 5 star but never is. But I would defo say this was 4+. The staff are so friendly, and will do anything for you. The drinks and snacks are reasonable priced. And the food was lovely. If you want explore don't be scared to get in a taxi and ask them where to go. It doesn't cost to much but you get to see so much more than on organised trips. The pool and other facilities are excellent, however if you want to play tennis it will cost you €10 which I thought was a bit out of order. Other than that there was no issues with the resort or the hotel. I would go back in a flash.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Swk1978
gm-apollonion, General Manager at Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
I would like to clarify things about the tennis issue. To use the tennis court is completely FREE of charge. The charge of the 10euros applies to the usage of the equipment (rackets and balls). This type of equipment, because is used by many and different persons gets damaged and therefore often replacements are required. Clients that have their own equipment, enjoy the tennis court facility without any additional fee.
I thank you very much for choosing the Apollonion for your Summer Holidays and look forward to welcome you back again.
Alexandros Papanikolaou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lixouri
Regina Dell Acqua Resort
Odyssey Hotel
#1 of 6 in Agia Efimia
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Ionian Emerald Resort

Been to Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!