My husband and I have just got back from the Apollonian after a week there from the beginning of August. After having put a fair amount of research into finding a hotel in Kefalonia that offered high quality facilities and services, a chance to completely relax and do some exploring too, I think we found one of the best hotels on the island. Obviously it depends on what you are looking for in a holiday and the expectations you hold for it but this place exceeded our expectations of a good quality hotel, it was excellent - so completely ignore the reviews from 2010, they seem to be describing a completely different hotel.
The Apollonian is beautiful and clean, the staff work their socks off and can't do more to help you down to the small details, e.g. it was my birthday whilst out there and without any request they gave me a cake at dinner and sang happy birthday to me! We had a room over looking the pool and bar area out to the mountains and a partial sea view, it was beautiful, especially with the balcony you get. It was lovely just to spend a relaxed evening playing cards on the balcony surrounded by the warmth of the evening and hearing the background chatter of people at the bar below and the music (whatever the entertainment is); it made you feel part of the buzz but in your own space.
I was concerned with it being peak season and with the hotel being fully booked that it would be overcrowded and noisy, it never seemed to be either of those. Yes it may have been busy at peak times of breakfast and dinner but certainly not in an annoying way, there was always plenty of good food (we have fallen for the simple Greek salad big time!) and staff never kept you waiting. The pool was never overcrowded either, staff may have had to put extra sun loungers/chairs out on busy days and you have to be on the ball a bit more to grab a sun lounger but once there it's hard to leave the poolside, what with the pool side bar service with a massive drinks menu. They have a half price cocktail all day (4E) and half price on all alcoholic drinks (except wine) between 4 and 6 - we loved that! Treat yourself to a spa treatment, the full body massage was lovely.
Yes you do have to get a ferry transfer from Argostoli to Lixouri when you arrive but it just whets your appetite on the beauty of the island, so it shouldn't be a hassle but simply adds to the dreamlike feel the place emanates. Yes the hotel is 10mins from Lixouri and bar a couple of tavernas closer to the beach and 1 other hotel there is nowhere else to eat out in walking distance but again if you're just happy you don't have to cook your own food and satisfied with really good quality buffet food then the hotel's small isolation shouldn't be a problem at all.
We hired a car for one day (driving can be a bit daunting if you're not used to it in Greece/mountainous roads on the island) visiting Sami and some of the many gorgeous beaches on the island, went on a Thomson excursion another day, explored Lixouri and Argostoli and the rest was spent chilled by the pool (Xi beach was super busy). It was perfect for us as a couple but also seemed great for the many families that were there too. I can't recommend the Apollonian enough and it simply enhances the stunning scenery and relaxed atmosphere of what is the beautiful island of Kefalonia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Apollonion Resort & Spa is a newly built 5* hotel. It is located in Lixouri of Kefalonia, in the region Xi, well known for its long golden sand beach. The excellent range of facilities at our Luxury Hotel is complemented by the high standard services from the professionally trained friendly staff. The unique architecture, the stylish lounge with genuine pieces of contemporary art, reflect the glamor of this Luxury Kefalonian resort. The Art Gallery hosts unique painting exhibitions throughout the Summer season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Bookgreece.com, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Apollonion Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apollonion Hotel Lixouri
- Apollonion Resort And Spa
- Apollonion Resort & Spa Lixouri, Cephalonia