“Off the Beaten Track”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lixouri
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Off the Beaten Track”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

It does exactly what it says in the brochure 'Gives a real sense of seclusion'
Arrived for our 11 nights after dinner was finished a sandwich and water and fruit were in the room a nice touch. The building problems after the earthquake are now non existent apart from minor things like some grating missing for the drains and a few cosmetic cracks like others I had concerns but now I can state there is nothing to worry about. Remember this is a three star hotel you want five? there is one up the road. I will get the bad parts out the road first entertainment - it is run by a Polish company so English is way down the line as far as explaining all the activities as at the kids club they do talk in polish although colouring in is universal, as you are so far from the town average nightly entertainment is not what you want or expect average at best. the beach is 100 meters away its a blue flag beach and it is very safe you have to pay 6 euros per day for sun beds I questioned this and was told it was cause its a public beach. The bar is not all inclusive at the beach and you need to pay for the Dolphin restaurant even though it is owned and staffed by the hotel which is just a piece of nonsense . There is a local bus from the hotel to the shops 1euro 60 each (same for kids) 09.30 depart and 14.30 return from the bus station it runs on GMT Greek maybe time it maybe on time or maybe not. Taxis are 10 euros one way.
Food in the restaurant is of a high standard and plenty choice no complaints there drink is okay usual all inclusive selection and the best bit unlimited ice cream for everyone 10.00 till 18.00.
Rooms well furnished with a portable television (Euro News the only English speaking channel)
with a camp bed (as advertised) for our child ,the shower/bath is quite small you find yourself sticking to the shower curtain. If you want a sunbed with a shade get down before seven or you've had it. The one surprise that isn't the hotels fault you expect the clientele to be adults and older kids Be warned there are lots of Easter European families with pre school children at this hotel so dinner can be like dining in a kindergarten. I enjoyed my stay I can say I've done Kefalonia but its just too quiet for me but worth going to tick the island off my list.

Room Tip: get a room in the 300's - they are ground level
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a lower holiday budget this year compared to normal and decided to stay at this hotel, overall we had a nice weeklong family holiday however there were many areas in need of renovation. The rooms were average and had very good AC.The swimming pool is mostly deep with limited step access, with a seperate small shallow pool. The staff were friendly and helpful and all spoke very good english. There is free wi-fi available however it is very very slow. The facilities are fairly limited (pool with bar, small games area and a tennis court, restaurant and bar) and the food is reasonable. It is a short walk to the beach where there are external bars and watersports facilities. The island however is lovely and I would definitely recommend a tour to visit the more picturesque locations. From the airport we had a coach and ferry transfer (quicker than diving around the peninsular).

Room Tip: Upper floor, partial sea view
4 Thank LSaunders91
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have just returned from another great holiday at the Cephalonia Palace. Although the hotel has changed a little since we last visited approximately five years ago it was not a disappointment. The staff and extremely friendly and helpful, the animation team kept both the children and adults amused 6 days out of 7 both during the day and the evening. The food was plentiful with a good variety each day for both breakfast and dinner. Lovely quiet location on a great beach that is both clean and safe for children of any age.

The only thing I would like to highlight is that this hotel is very popular with Eastern European's.

Room Tip: The rooms that surround the pool can be a little noisy as times as the entertainment happens here an...
2 Thank Welshcelticgirl
Opole, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely place for people looking for peace, sandy beach, even in the main season only a short walk and you'll always find a place only for yourself! The hotel is lovely, altough not a five star hotel so if looking for new furnitures and a modern interiors, go to Apollonia Palace next by. The animation team at Cephalonia Palace is just lovely, speak both english and polish, they are there for you if you need them. The food is typical Greek food, always 2-3 greek dishes, every day difrent dishes to choose from and always fruits and greek sweets so if you love Greece you will love that hotel as we did. The swimingpool is big and there is a place for everyone. However, not enaugh "sunumbrellas", people reserve them every morning at 6 am - so sad :( But there is lot of place in the garden and many sunbeds, just find a tree and you will also have some shadow :)

Room Tip: f.ex.room 226 on the second floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank G S
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'll start by saying that this is my second visit to the Cephalonia Palace in as many years.

The hotel itself is set in beautiful grounds in a very quiet part of the island on the Paliki peninsula.
It is a lovely hotel, with great friendly staff who recognised me from last year (added browny points!) The pool is a big kidney shape and is actually quite deep at its deepest point. We overheard an elderly couple complaining as they couldn't get in and out of the pool so please note there are no steps into the pool, only ladders and even at its shallowest point it isn't overly shallow (not that this was an issue to me and my partner)
Next to the main pool there is a small children's pool and then the outside pool bar.

The food is of good standard and is pretty tasty, the selection doesn't get a little boring over two weeks as it doesn't change much but them again it must be difficult to cater for a few hundred people who all have different tastes and requirements. Overall it was good.
The drinks from the restaurant, main bar and pol bar are again all good quality.

Now, the main reason I say the hotel wasn't as good the second time round was probably due to our room locations more than anything but it put a bit of a negative vibe on the holiday.

Our first room, we were put on the ground floor on the left hand side if you walk from reception past the shop. I had asked for a pool view when booking but this was at a lower level than the pool so all you saw was a grass verge going up, which wasn't really an issue as I can live with that.
However, as we were the first room on that level we were the first room everyone walked past outside to the restaurant, pool, shop, reception etc therefore we couldn't open our balcony door without anyone walking past seeing inside our room and sitting out on the "balcony" wasn't very private. I know it sounds a little fussy but when you want to have a brew in the morning or evening in your underwear or nightwear (as you do on holiday) and everyone walks past it's a bit weird.
Anyway, unfortunately that wasn't the only problem as I could deal with that.
We were next to two boiler rooms so all through the night we could hear this awful pumping noise coming from the next two rooms which kept us awake. On top of that there was a dog barking all night and when we looked out of the balcony door the dog was actually on our balcony area and barking at our door! Also, the two balcony overflow pipes from the above apartments were leaking out onto our balcony which gave us another reason not to want to sit out and we couldn't leave clothes and towels out to dry....

....so we asked to be moved to somewhere a little more private.
The hotel staff were very good about it all as they recognised me as a returning guest.

We were moved onto the right hand side (room 133) which has a nice little balcony over looking the garden and the sea in the distance. Lovely.
However, this was on the end of a corridor so everyone had to pass us on a morning to go to the pool or breakfast and everyone passed us on the way back from the bar. Which again, doesn't sound like it should be an issue but every single noise really resounded down the corridor due to how the hotel was built.
This meant every morning when the cleaners started at 7am we were woken up by them banging on doors, moving furniture to clean and (the most annoying thing) shouting down the corridors to each other gossiping or whatever. I'm not exaggerating when I say this either. I came out of my room one morning after being woken up by this shouting and there was a cleaner literally shouting to another cleaner who was at the other end of the corridor on a different floor!
If it wasn't the cleaners who woke us it was other people with kids shouting and running up and down in the morning. Or late at night, they keep their kids up late because they're on holiday so the kids are moaning and tired out so at 1-2am they're coming back down the corridor with the crying kids.

Our room was next to a room that had been used for storage (134) and half way through our holiday they decided they would clean this room out and move all the furniture out so they could use the room again (at 8am!) even the people above us complained because they could hear all the furniture being dragged around!

Now, I hope you don't read this review and think I'm complaining about stupid stuff but me (28) and my partner (35) went to this hotel as I stayed at the same time last year with a mate and absolutely loved it (read my other review!) but at the time there were mainly older couples and a few families, but this year there were far many families and young kids which isn't ideal for couples who are wanting an "away from it all" holiday as states in brochures.
You don't want to be woken up early in the morning when you have two jobs and work 60hour weeks. I go on holiday to catch up on sleep.
We hired a car for 7 days and explored a lot of the island so when we came back we wanted to chill out but had to stay up late so we weren't woken up by people coming to bed but then woken up 5 hours later anyway.

The good thing about my what I'm whinging about is; the rooms are cleaned daily :)

All in all the hotel is beautiful and was perfect for families and children this year but wasn't ideal for me and my girlfriend.
The animation team were brilliant with the kids.
I played waterpolo with them a few times and really enjoyed it, however the animator had a habit of only speaking in Polish leaving a lot of folk looking at each other blankly.
Last year animation team seemed to do a better job in my opinion and we still talk on Facebook :)

If you are staying here, maybe you'll get a better room and not have these issues.

Also, Kefalonia on a whole is an amazing island. Please hire a car and go see it. I love it and will be back next year without a doubt but not to the same hotel.

Go to Antonellos restaurant next to the hotel too, it's cheap and the food and hospitality are just brilliant.

XI Beach is fantastic, nice clear water and clay cliffs which look a little dangerous after the January earthquake. But it's still good fun to rub the clay over yourself.
The sea is good for people who aren't good with water and kids as it is quite shallow for quite a way out.

Also, if you're daring; check out Lixouri Paramotor on Facebook.
They do paramotor trips over XI beach and the Cephalonia Palace. It was awesome fun!

I think that is all anyway.
If you have any questions regarding my review please send me a message and I'll be happy to help.

9 Thank Jaymzzb
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

A great hotel in a quiet area. Good for a romantic week away, or quiet family holiday. Quiet because it requires car hire, infrequent bus or taxi to get to nearest town - Lixouri, and then a ferry to capital of the Island - Argostoli.
All inclusive food in hotel widely varied and very good. Breakfast - continental and cooked. Lunch - hot and cold and desserts. Dinner - hot and cold and desserts. Multiple meats, fish and veg options every night. Very good quality, we were always full. All inclusive drinks and snacks all good, and generous. Check website for timings.
Went with Thompson, and the rep was great. Excursions a bit pricey but the Discover Kefalonia was good. Drogorati Caves (about 5EURO entrance fee) and Melisani Lake (about 7EURO fee) are both superb sites. Assos, Myrtos Bay and Fiskardo are lovely to see.
Hotel pool is nice a big, also a kids pool. Regular activities, good for kids especially. Tennis court, table tennis and outdoor chess set were good. No gym was a shame.
Local Beach (Xi Beach) is nice, but you have to pay 6EURO for a sunbed.
Staff very helpful and most speak some English. Cleaners very good.

All in all, highly recommended. Not 5 star due to no gym and not much to do locally, and no beach towels provided by hotel!

Room Tip: No double beds at all, but cleaners put a double sheet on two single beds together. Top floor is a b...
3 Thank Josh M
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had a weeks Holliday at the beginning of June here with my boyfriend on a all inclusive basis, and have to say it is one of my best Holliday destinations yet, The rooms are basic but comfy and all have balconys, however don't be fooled in to upgrading to a sea view room as they are all the same, they are cleaned daily and if you are wanting a bed made in to a double then put a pillow down the centre of the bed with Sheet over and the maids will know you want your beds together.
The hotel food is as can be expected, but they do there utmost to make sure you have all you need,although the food can be on the cold side, you won't go hungry as lots of choice. Alcoholic drinks are off the best quality and be warned they aren't shy on measures which for us was good.
The hotel is set in a quite location, i wouldn't say it was a kids place as not a lot for them to do, and with kids myself I wouldn't take mine here. Although could of been due to the time of season as it's early, and not a great deal of entertainment for kiddies.( But that's my view) however the beach is lovely with water sports ect and a few tavernas. Nice walks and must walk to the lagoon.
The pool at the hotel is clean the beds with pods are lovely and comfy and the staff clean up all the time, pool bar Serves drinks& Ice cream (some you have to pay for) no snacks between breakfast lunch dinner provided although there is a shop on site.
The hotel staff are extremely welcoming and can't do enough for you, they are all polite and friendly and evelin the bar maid is just wonderful, she talked us through all the places to visit and marked them on a map for us and we hired a car and traveled round, a must if you can, the island is stunning. Mythos beach is out of this world, all though not sand small pebbles. It has clear water
The town is about 10/15 mins away by car cost 10 euros each way by cab. You can get a ferry to allastoli which is about 8 euros for two. this isn't included in all inclusive. (Although when you first arrive you will be given a ferry pass t get you too your hotel and the same on the way home.)
Have to say we had the best Holliday here everyone is friendly, made some great friend and will definitely be returning to this island,

Room Tip: 2nd floor pool view room
4 Thank Kimberley_540
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lixouri
Apollonion Resort & Spa
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Kefalonia Bay Palace
Kefalonia Bay Palace
#4 of 6 in Agia Efimia

Been to Cephalonia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!