“Good for a reliable and tasty lunch”

Ristorante Zia Fernanda
Ranked #62 of 137 Restaurants in Otranto
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good for a reliable and tasty lunch”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

First meal of the holiday and it did not disappoint. The parma ham and mozzarella as starter was plenty for a bigger eater and another. Plus plenty of bread. The pasta dishes were were tasty. I had the vongole which was excellent. The service was good.

• Visited May 2013

London
“Express service”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

If you want a nice relaxed evening, don't book a table for 8.30. We arrived just after 8.30, and were sat outside at a table where we found the menus already waiting on the table for us. About 2 minutes later, we were asked if we were ready to order. We sent them away. Another two minutes later they were back! i ordered a seafood salad and my husband a plate of serrano and mozzarella.

I orered for my main the grilled prawns, which as on the main menu for around EUR10. They then started to ask me if it was the fresh ones I wanted, and if so how many? I realised even with my lack of Italian understanding, that they were trying to flog the daily catch that was EUR60 per kg. I hastily pointed out that i wanted just the set dish. Had I been able to speak Italian, I might have then asked them, if the daily catch was fresh, what on earth did that make everything else, if not fresh? My husband had the swordfish.

The starter arrived just as soon as they walked to the kitchen and back with it. Fair enough, it had not required a great deal of prep. The waiters then hovered eagerly over us, with their eyes constantly on the entrance, to see how many people were arriving and waiting for tables. As soon as we put our cutlery down, the plates vanished.

At this point my husband left the table momentarily, and while he was gone, the main course arrived. At this stage we had been in the restaurant no more than about 10 mins. The swordfish and chips were okay, but not as hot as they could have been, I suspect they'd been waiting on the pass to be brought out. My four giant prawns were tasty enough. We had both finished our mains, but not the salad or chips, which we were dipping in the juices on my plate. As soon as they saw my main plate was clear, they took them away. We both had our mouths full, otherwise we would have protested. They were clearly waiting for a mad rush at 9pm, and wanted the table back. We decided to linger! The mad rush did not materialise. The staff then appeared to be unconcerned about the lack of rush and decided to ignore us from there on.
We left without leaving a tip.

• Visited July 2012