“Birding around Lake Trasimeno, Umbria”
Review of Walking in Etruria

Walking in Etruria
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Capolona
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Walking and birding tours in Italy. I'm a professional nature guide who provides single or multi-day trips in the most beautiful regions of central Italy: Tuscany, Umbria, Marche and Lazio. I can help you to discover the breathtaking landscapes, the nature, the history, and the traditions of the "boot".
Ithaca, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Birding around Lake Trasimeno, Umbria”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I spent a wonderful day visiting a wide variety of habitats from marshy lakesides, to dry upland rocky hillsides to oak forests in the area surrounding the spectacular scenery of Lake Trasimeno at the center of Umbria - the gem of Italy. Guided by a bird biologist named Marco Valtriani (website is marco@birdinginitaly.com), who was not only a skilled birder but keen on providing the absolute best experience you could ask for! I ask a lot of questions. Marco was very kind and well educated about the local environmental, cultural and historical background that makes for a deeper experience. His English is very good. I learned some Italian from him as well! I had a great day and hope to meet up for some more birding opportunities before leaving Italy. He knows all the local and remote spots to afford the best chances do seeing the most variety of species. I would never have located these places on my own! I would highly recommend Marco to anyone wishing to see some of Italy's natural areas and have a jolly good time while you're at it! Another option that I would do next time is to stay overnight at one of the agritourismos to make a full experience, such as in the region of Maremma, on the coast. Can't wait to come back! Grazie Mille, Marco!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Evie W

Tirana, Albania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Etruscan heaven”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Spent 6 days with marco in Tuscany and Umbria our brief to marco was to see birds and experience culture of Italy. We did both. Marco helped us set the holiday up; was around to help us fix any hiccups and took us to places we wouldn't have seen without him including seeing flamingoes in the maremma; ferruginous ducks; and Lanner falcons. Magic. We had a wine tasting which included an amazing lunch and went to places that were off the tourist track. A wonderful holiday. Would thoroughly recommend

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Janet W
California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Yes, Italy has birds in beautiful, natural settings!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We are so grateful to Marco Valriani with whom we visited marshlands we never could have found on our own. Thanks to Marco's knowledge, very good eyes and equipment, we saw many birds, as well as enjoyed special, natural settings enhanced by snow-covered mountains in the background. I had always wanted to see the courtship dance of the grebes, and I did! Marco was considerate of my mobility issues, too, and enabled me to access sites where i could see a variety of water birds within a short walk or from the car. My husband is not a "birder" but was very glad to get out in the natural world and away from crowded cities. We both greatly enjoyed spending a day with Marco and wish we lived closer.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank hube99
Spokane, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Marco enhances your experience of the natural world in Italy”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Marco is a biologist, and as such he sees the world in both the large and small - he willingly shares his love for Tuscany, and he love of nature... you would be fortunate to have a day or more with Marco as your guide... MDC

Visited October 2013
6 Thank michael c
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Birding in the Tuscan coast with Marco”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Marco Valtriani is an independent birding guide who took me for a full day to explore fabulous birding spots in southern Tuscany. He knew all the hidden vantage points over lagoons; where plank bridges could be found to pick your way around a marsh crossed with water channels; where the best blind was for observing migrating shorebirds; where to find the best trail for a stunning hike overlooking the sea at Argentario Promontorio; ... and the best spot for a quick lunch. All this an hour's train ride from Rome, where I was staying. Despite warm September weather (not ideal for migration), we saw all the shorebirds that can be seen there in fall, including one I had long been missing, and other great birds like pallid swift and honey buzzard. He is the perfect guide, dedicated and knowledgeable, with perfect English, a comfortable vehicle, and a great scope. He also knew so many other places to go that spending a week with him, maybe during spring, would be an amazing experience.

Visited September 2013