“Toscane at its best”
Review of Castel Monastero

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is comfortably situated 1 hour from Florence and 30 minutes from Sienna. It is really a small castle, all rooms are different and you can even rent a house with 3 rooms on the premises. Service is 100 % and the staff is very friendly. Everything is
possible. Food in the restaurant is excellent. This is the first time we have
stayed there but booked for another week in July.
Greetings from Henk, Ria and Danny van Esch

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Henk V
Enzo V, Direttore at Castel Monastero, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Henk V,
it is a pleasure to read your comment about Castel Monastero. We are all constantly strive to make the holiday of our guests happy and comfortable. So we did also with you. We are delighted that you enjoyed our services and our team. Hoping to see you soon here, to repeat the good lived experience, in the meantime we send a warm regards with a big hug.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Castel Monastero is my new favorite place on earth! I stayed 5 nights and I can say that this is the BEST HOTEL I EVER STAYED IN MY LIFE!!

I would like to thank each of the staff for offering the best days of my trip:

Enzo: Thanks for everything! You were the first person we meet on the hotel and I can say that you run this hotel with excellence! It's everything so perfect and you made us fell like home.

Andrea: Thanks for all meals! We had the best food in Tuscany ever! Although I would like to try the hamburger (just kidding).

Marco: Anche tu Marco! Thanks for offering the best wines and for the awesome service.

Francesca! Thanks for receiving us for breakfast with a big smile. (by the way, the breakfast at Castel Monastero is a full other review). It's awesome.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, I will never forget the days we spent with you guys!

Best!

Ricardo and Angelica

Room Tip: Any room you pick will be great!
1  Thank Figueric

Dear Figueric,
read a review like yours, it means that we have worked well and we have reached the highest levels of hospitality. All of us are committed 24 hours a day to make the stay of our guests at Castel Monastero, as comfortable as possible and see the smile on your face. Thanks again for the wonderful words used. We hope you become one of our regular guests. Waiting to see you again with us, we send the warmest greetings, with a bear hug.
Very truly yours

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's one of the most beautiful properties, middle of the vignards,the view is breathtaking and the service was impeccable!
The staff really made sure that we had a wonderful time!
Will definitely go back!

1  Thank Neema M

Dear Neema M,

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I really think I cannot do this review justice in relating just how wonderful I felt Castel Monastero was. The grounds and the buildings are magnificent, the service top notch, the food delicious and the amenities (spa, accommodations, etc) superb. But mostly what struck me was how delightfully peaceful the place was. We arrived after a busy week in Venice and Florence, rushing around to see the notable and impressive sights, but not particularly relaxed or well rested. Within just a few minutes of arriving at the property, we felt an unmistakable calm take over. It helps that it was a brilliantly sunny day in April and the natural setting was enchanting. But there's an incredible sense of zen about this place that's hard to describe. While located pretty much smack in the center of Tuscany, it's set apart from any of the towns and there's a delightful quiet that is underscored by the sounds of the chirping birds and the gentle footsteps along the gravel paths. We had a lovely lunch al fresco and felt ensconced in a sense of refinement and delicacy. We were so taken with the place that we spent far more time relaxing here than expected and limited the towns we visited in exchange for the privilege. As we were traveling with our young adult kids, we had a terrific 2 bedroom suite that was perfectly appointed and afforded comfort and privacy. The grounds were another pleasure to discover and I took great enjoyment in the fully bloomed lilacs on the paths. Finally, I must add that the service was outstanding, from the welcome staff to the management to every waiter and server we encountered. I honestly don't think I can come up with one negative about this place - except perhaps there could have been a little more light in the bedroom. Apart from that, Castel Monastero was sheer perfection.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Enzo V, Direttore at Castel Monastero, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear LittleWin,
it is a pleasure to read your comment about Castel Monastero. We are all constantly strive to make the holiday of our guests happy and comfortable. So we did also with you. We are delighted that you enjoyed our services and our team. Thank you for your suggestion regarding more light in the bedroom, I have already given notice to our maintenance manager to increase the light. Hoping to see you soon here, to repeat the good lived experience, in the meantime we send a warm regards with a big hug.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

On our second visit to Tuscany and to Castel Monastero. Can't say enough about how friendly and helpful the entire staff is here. The rooms are top notch, and the breakfasts are fantastic. A great location in the Tuscan countryside from which to launch wine touring in Chianti, Monatalcino or Montepulciano. We will continue to return to this charming spot. They really make you feel like family here.

Room Tip: The "Blue" building is right on the central courtyard with beautiful views of the countrys...

Dear Genob,
it is a pleasure to read your comment about Castel Monastero. We are all constantly strive to make the holiday of our guests, always make them happy and comfortable. So we did also with you. We are delighted that you enjoyed our services and our team. The fact that you felt like you are at home is for us a source of pride. Hoping to see you soon here, to repeat the good lived experience, we send a warm greeting with a big hug.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have visited this amazing hotel just a week ago. The location of the hotel is just amazing. You can reach all the famous cities in half an hour by car. The hotel is giving you a feeling of as if you are in a movie...The employees are very well trained, professional and very friendly. They are ready to do everything you need just to make you happy and comfortable. The second chef of the restaurant Stelios gave us a cooking course of 3 hours. I can say that Gordon Ramsey is very lucky to have such a professional. The GM of the hotel is the best GM ever. I never met a GM so much interested with guests personally. We enjoyed every minute of our stay in Castel Monastero.
If anyone can find anything to complain about this hotel or employees, he should check himself if he is completely perfect.
I think it is absolutely the best service and quality ever!
A&A
lots of love from Israel

Dear KashaniFromIsrael,
Very truly yours

Reviewed 20 January 2014

In my personal opinion I don't think this Monastero should be named in one go with some other excellent (real) Leading Hotels of the World. It is simply not at the same level as many other LHW I've visited. I give it a 2/5 rating because it pretends to be a LHW. Otherwise I would have given it a 3/5 rating. Especially for the 5***** price you're paying.... Sorry.

The place is not maximized to its full potential and I had these constant questions during my stay. To name a few;

Pre-dinner drinks; served in the courtyard on one of the most uninviting LHW terraces I've ever seen. Menu is a photocopied, smudged piece of paper. Messy seating. Where is the decoration? No live music. Come on. You can do better !

Pool management; broken chairs and not clean. No decent pool bar nor poolside service. Do invest in some pool chair mattresses. Pool closes too early.

Restaurant; The Gordon Ramsey Restaurant is not bad but please, we are in Italy...…I prefer to eat some good Italian food. I definitely did not like these LED lights. The Cellar Restaurant had lots of atmosphere. The menu was a bit too rustic to my liking, but that’s a personal preference. The breakfast was OK (thank you Francesca for you constant smiles) and served on the same courtyard terrace as where the GR dinner is being served. Messy seating, uncomfortable, smudged chairs again. Sorry.

Room: Our room was OK, but the air-conditioning is not really strong.

Taxi: When you want to take a taxi from the hotel it will cost you 60,- Euros one way as they have to be called in from Siena. Every single time. So to visit an other restaurant (and I don't drive when having a glass of wine) it will cost you EURO 120,-. The people at the reception will not inform you of this fact when booking a taxi. Surprise!

I'm really sorry; but worst of all was the attitude of the people at the reception; this place was not really easy to find (conflicting addresses & a messed up GPS). The lady at the reception had however the nerves to insinuate that I was probably too stupid to find it. Really? What a joke and a shocking display of total non-professionalism.

That said; all the other (local?) people whom I encountered during my stay tried their best and were very friendly. Thank you.

This place has lots of potential but it's not at a LHW level.

After 3 days we decided to cut our stay short and moved to one of the best Four Seasons Hotels we’ve ever stayed at; The Four Seasons in Florence. From rain & frustration to utter sunshine & delight.

Room Tip: Don't get one of these rooms in the attic; very dark, no view what so ever and you'll bump y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Qilin_88
Enzo V, Direttore at Castel Monastero, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear nix999,

firstly I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and for your invaluable feedback regarding your recent stay at Castel Monastero. The feedbacks we receive are very important to us and help us ensure that we continuously deliver the excellent standards which we are renowned for.
We sincerely apologise, on this occasion the hotel did not meet your expectations and that it not live up to the usual excellent standards we consistently strive to provide.

Please rest assured that I have personally investigated the matter and proper action has been taken in order to correct the letdown of service as well as avoid any further recurrence.

I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting our property in the future, giving us the opportunity to recover and show you, that we are indeed an hotel with a high standard of service.
Please, kindly contact me directly and I will be pleased to ensure that you will have the service you expect from our hotel.

Very truly yours,

Enzo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castelnuovo Berardenga
Hotel Borgo San Felice
Hotel Borgo San Felice
#2 of 8 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
CDH Hotel Radda
CDH Hotel Radda
#4 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Castello di Leonina Relais

Been to Castel Monastero? Share your experiences!