“Amazing seafood in an area known for meat from a wonderful family”

La Trattoria del Pesce
Price range: US$40 - US$93
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Amazing seafood in an area known for meat from a wonderful family”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I were in the Chianti region for about a week. In general we are big fish eaters. However Tuscany is known for meat. When we asked for recommendations for seafood, both the concierge at our hotel (Castello Del Nero) and our waiter at La Scuderia recommended this place. They said that it is the place to go for locals who like seafood.

When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by a nice dining room and our waiter, who was one of the family members. All staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Also a lot of the diners were locals, always a good sign.

Now to the food. I started with a seafood pasta dish, which was essentially spaghetti with a variety of shellfish. It was nothing short of fantastic. I loved the way it was delivered to the table in the same pan it was cooked in. This allowed me to transfer to my plate with all flavors intact. And it was abundant. It took me some time just to dispose of all of the shells.

My wife had grilled Octopus. She said it was one of the tenderest renditions of octopus she had ever eaten. In her words: "It was scrumptious – nicely grilled, nicely seasoned, tender and a good size portion."

Following that my wife and I shared a grilled seafood platter which we built with the help of our waiter. We basically went to where the daily catch was displayed on ice and decided what we wanted to have in our platter. It included a Lobster, Calamari, a whole fish and assorted other items. When it arrived, everything was grilled to perfection.

I still have memories of that meal and want to go back as soon as we can.

• Visited June 2014

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Excellent fish and seafood”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great service and fresh quality ... Worthwhile the detour from Florence and good place for dinner when staying at Il Borghetto in Montefiridolfi.

Visited June 2014
“great fish”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We had heard from several people about the quality of this restaurant and we decided to try it. The fish was fantastic and it was nice to have something different from the usual Tuscan food. I would say that the clientele were not your average Italian or tourist, that explained the prices. Having said that, I will go back because the food was amazing.

• Visited November 2013
Boston
“Great food, great feel - wonderful experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

A real gem. We like seafood and we were not disappointed. Everyone we interacted with had a warm, generous feel to them. When I asked what the various fish were caleld in English, the invited me to come and look at the display. They then called out the chef who got a cool book out and we chatted and looked up the various names. Everyone seemed to genuinely like people and care about the experience. There was no flamboyance, just a real feeling of good intent. I can't remember a place that had such a good vibe. In addition, the food was great. Fresh, tasty, artfully cooked and presented. A great experience.

• Visited June 2013
Toronto
“Great Food, comfortable spot”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My wife and I dined at La Trattoria del Pesce on our last day in Italy at the end of a three week trip that included an 11 day cruise. We had eaten some pretty good food during our trip. However, the food at this Trattoria was outstanding. I enjoyed a seafood risotto to start with grilled Brazino as the main course. My wife had a simple salad to begin and pasta with shrimp as her second course. We shared a side of sauted spinach with the mains.

Simply put the food was outstanding. The risotto was rich with a variety of seafood and perfectly cooked. The Brazino, called sea bass by the waiter was perfect. Charred on the outside, moist and meaty on the inside. The waiter expertly deboned the fish table side. The simple salad was fresh and lightly dressed. The pasta was very lightly bathed in an exquisite sauce that was flavourful and rich. I had a hard time trying to figure out the combination but I think it was an olive oil/soffrito/shrimp/whitewine combination. The best pasta dish either of us had had in Italy. I had one small complaint, the side dish of spinach was bland and tasteless. That definitely needs a little more garlic.

We shared a semifreddo to finish up. This was also fabulous.

Service was great, very professional. A little English was spoken as well as a little Italian.

Total cost 93 euros including a 23 euro bottle of wine.

Highly recommended.