Having read the reviews here on TA we had very high expectations of this hotel. I felt it was worth paying a premium for some extra luxury, something which, I'm afraid, was lacking.
Let me start with the good:
-Professional, friendly staff. I got the sense they are worked very hard - same people serving at breakfast as well as dinner, but maybe this is normal in Italy. Thanks to Stefano in particular for helping me get into and back from San Casciano to watch a world cup game on Pay TV.
-Great location to use as a base for exploring the area, good access to all the top locations
-Great views over the valley with stunning sunsets to enjoy
The not so good:
Our "suite" (number 31) was not a suite in the sense of what I expect it to be - there was a nice (but basic), rustic main bedroom with double bed and bathroom, which looked a bit tired. The entrance room/hallway was used as a second bedroom with two singles, one of which was a foldaway, squeezed in. A small old fashioned kitchenette was also in this space with a tiny minibar.
Each space had a large, old fashioned air conditioning unit centrally controlled from a panel on the wall - seemed to have only two settings: "Off" and "Blowing hard and noisily".
Wifi very poor and not to modern standards.
TV service not catering for non-Italian speakers, and only had the free terrestrials - not acceptable in my opinion for a "luxury" category hotel with mainly foreign guests.
I felt the overall catering in the hotel was of decent standard but too expensive.
The pool area is fine (great views), but too small for a hotel with this amount of rooms - I had expected the hotel to be smaller. I felt sorry for the many honeymoon couples having to sit beside the pool area with the many small children staying.
Overall, the facility lacked attention to detail on several fronts, facilities were too basic to be labelled luxury and I felt the owner was trying to squeeze the most revenue out of his guests - which is to be expected of course - but for the overall room prices I had expected more to be included. To be fair though, it should be noted that management did allow checkout a day early, which was much appreciated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa I Barronci is located in San Casciano in Val di Pesa, a resort nearby Florence, in the hilly territory of Chianti Classico fiorentino. Villa I Barronci offers double rooms, double superior rooms and suites with all comforts. Panoramic swimming pool with jacuzzi, restaurant and bar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Villa I Barronci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa i Barronci Hotel San Casciano In Val Di Pesa
- Villa I Barronci San Casciano In Val Di Pesa, Tuscany, Italy