“Did not meet high expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa I Barronci

and 1 more site!
Villa I Barronci
Dublin, Ireland
“Did not meet high expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having read the reviews here on TA we had very high expectations of this hotel. I felt it was worth paying a premium for some extra luxury, something which, I'm afraid, was lacking.

Let me start with the good:
-Professional, friendly staff. I got the sense they are worked very hard - same people serving at breakfast as well as dinner, but maybe this is normal in Italy. Thanks to Stefano in particular for helping me get into and back from San Casciano to watch a world cup game on Pay TV.
-Great location to use as a base for exploring the area, good access to all the top locations
-Great views over the valley with stunning sunsets to enjoy

The not so good:
Our "suite" (number 31) was not a suite in the sense of what I expect it to be - there was a nice (but basic), rustic main bedroom with double bed and bathroom, which looked a bit tired. The entrance room/hallway was used as a second bedroom with two singles, one of which was a foldaway, squeezed in. A small old fashioned kitchenette was also in this space with a tiny minibar.
Each space had a large, old fashioned air conditioning unit centrally controlled from a panel on the wall - seemed to have only two settings: "Off" and "Blowing hard and noisily".
Wifi very poor and not to modern standards.
TV service not catering for non-Italian speakers, and only had the free terrestrials - not acceptable in my opinion for a "luxury" category hotel with mainly foreign guests.
I felt the overall catering in the hotel was of decent standard but too expensive.
The pool area is fine (great views), but too small for a hotel with this amount of rooms - I had expected the hotel to be smaller. I felt sorry for the many honeymoon couples having to sit beside the pool area with the many small children staying.

Overall, the facility lacked attention to detail on several fronts, facilities were too basic to be labelled luxury and I felt the owner was trying to squeeze the most revenue out of his guests - which is to be expected of course - but for the overall room prices I had expected more to be included. To be fair though, it should be noted that management did allow checkout a day early, which was much appreciated.

Room Tip: The closer the room is to the reception area, the better the wifi signal if this is important to you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights and after crazy Rome this hotel was very relaxing. The location is simply beautiful it's like a tuscan postcard. The restaurant was nice and the hotel is a short drive to the local town which was nice to visit as you actually feel like you are experiencing real italian village life. The hotel is in a great location and easy drives to Siena, Florence etc.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
villaibarronci, Front Office Manager at Villa I Barronci, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your nice review...really the landscape in front of our swimming pool looks just like a postcard indeed!
We hope you will come back soon to enjoy it one more time!

Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at this place for 7 nights. The location is perfect for going around tuscany - Siena (35 mins), Pisa (40 mins), greve (20 mins), Florence ( 25 mins). Our room was 'dependence' (room 4) and it was quite spacious for 2 adults and 1 teenager. There was also an extra bed for another kid which we did not need. Although our room did not have a view - we were pleasantly surprise anyway (we just stepped out of our room and we get the view). Breakfast was superb and we had dinner at the restaurant for 5 out of our 7 nights. Dinner was great and reasonably priced. The staff was highly accommodating and packed us a breakfast takeaway the day we left since it was 4:30 am. The highlight for my daughter was the cooking class with Alex. Despite being fully booked the hotel felts serene after a hectic day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Room 4 was modern and large enough for a family of 3 or 4.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
villaibarronci, Front Office Manager at Villa I Barronci, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review, we are really happy that you enjoyed the calm and the peace of Villa I Barronci.
We hope we'll have the pleasure of welcome you again soon!

Kelkheim (Taunus), Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Upon arrival the booked room was not available, front desk promised the booked room for next day, which required to move room. Next day, the manager got involved and didn´t accept any of our arguments, asked us to leave the hotel or take an alternative room, which still wasn´t the Suite we booked. The room was ok for the week, but we could not understand, why a hotel with only 21 rooms can not properly address a booking made back in December. For the whole week, there was no apology or any sign of trying to make it up (free drinks at the bar or discount would have done it)...
During the week we also met more guests who had a similar experience...room/category booked, but not available.

Room Tip: The hotel is very well located to make tours into Tuscany. Hotel is well restored and clean. Don´t t...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We came to relax following my daughters wedding for a couple of nights and wished we had booked for longer! We stayed in one of the garden annex rooms and the views over the surrounding countryside must be one of the best in Tuscany. Accommodation was clean, modern and comfortable. We were impressed by all the staff particularly the girls at the reception who dealt with our car rental company when we had a problem with the car. We ate at the restaurant one night and found the food to be delicious, well presented and good value. Villa I Barronci is a beautiful place to stay and relax yet close to Florence and many other Tuscany towns - we will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
villaibarronci, Front Office Manager at Villa I Barronci, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely review, really our position offers an unforgettable view!
Come back to enjoy it one more time, we wait for you!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

In the last three days of our recent trip to Italy we stayed in Villa i Barronci in Chianti region near Greve.
This is a small villa with it's own cozy restaurant and nice swimming pool with panoramic view of Tuscan landscape.
It also has an outdoor bar area and restaurant where one can sit and enjoy the view while having just a drink or lunch/ dinner.
The rooms are basic but clean, the food is reasonably good.
There is also a small spa on the premises.
Our room had garden view but there are rooms with the view of the vast and beautiful Tuscan countryside.
It is a place to stay and relax for couple of days.
From this Villa we visited Castello di Verrazzano , one of the best wineries of the region. We had booked their " Wine and Food Experience" package and enjoyed the tour of the villa and the sumptuous lunch in it's restaurant
I will post a separate review about this winery later.
If you are in Chianti do not miss it.

Room Tip: Ask for upper level room overlooking the swimming pool. These have the best view of the countryside...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your nice review, this is exactly how we keep Villa I Barronci, small and cosy, and we are glad you appreciated it.
We do suggest a lot this wine tasting because for sure is one of the best wine tastings in the area, again, we are pleased you enjoyed our suggestion.
Hoping to welcome you again, all our best.

Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are on a vacation to discover Tuscany ! this is your place ! In the middle of everything, close to Sienna, to Lucca, to San Gemignano ! this place is perfectly located in the centre of the best Tuscany towns, allowing you to discover the whole area. Of course you will need a car. In general I don't think discovering Tuscany without a car is a good idea. We came to this hotel, we had booked one of the independent new rooms, but they gave us instead two bedrooms in the old building, and tried to convince us that this is what we had booked. But then they apologized immediately for the mistake and gave us lower rates. My advice is that you make sure you book the independent rooms, they are nicer than the one in the old building itself. But I would still have to say that even the ones in the old building are very nice. very clean, decorated in a Tuscany kind of modern way. The restaurant is very good. We had dinner there twice, and loved the food. The concierge who was a girl from the US (forgot her name) was super nice, always smiling, and very very helpful. All in all, we loved this hotel, the views, the food, and the location. Finally, we felt this hotel was amazing for the price we paid. We've stayed in more expensive hotels in Tuscany, and they were not that good. So I would definitely recommend this hotel if your purpose is to discover Tuscany or even just to relax..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Halaokeili
villaibarronci, Front Office Manager at Villa I Barronci, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you very much for your nice review.
Yes indeed our location is really strategic, we are glad you managed to visit all the art towns we are near to!
We hope to see you again soon, in one of our independent rooms or in the main building, trying to satisfy your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Casciano in Val di Pesa
Villa Bordoni
Villa Bordoni
#1 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Castello Vicchiomaggio
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti

Been to Villa I Barronci? Share your experiences!