Driving into the Chianti hillsides took our breath away but driving into the gates of Villa Mangiacane just overwhelmed us even more,sadly when we walked into the beautiful reception area we were received far from what our expectations were.There seemed to be chaos and untrained people working at the reception,they were very polite and nice but not efficient at all.
We were not taken to our room but just given the key and they assured us that our bags were on their way but 30 minutes had passed and I decided to get it myself,I was dismayed to find my luggages with valuables just sitting unattended by the parking lot .The first room we got was terrible,room 21 was a superior room which was by the pool kitchen or bar area and you could hear the employees talking,we quickly changed rooms and we were moved to a better room which was more expensive but they did not charge us for the upgrade.
The pool area was wonderful and lounges were abundant and well spaced.I noticed that there are 2 sides to the hotel,the Main Villa where the owner stays when they are in town which is well maintained with beautiful furnishings .The other side where our room was ,you had to pass a gravel pathway which was not very nice,the garden in front of the rooms were moldy and tiny ,definitely needs some work.The plunge pool was so dirty and had so much algae ,I did not even dare go in.
I want to warn readers that if the main Villa is closed for an event or for a wedding than you would really not get to enjoy the Villa Mangiacane.It was unfortunate that the night of my birthday there was a wedding and we could not have a drink at the beautiful Loggia instead we had to go out to another restaurant ,it did not make sense ....why stay somewhere special on a special occasion and not be able to celebrate there anyway?The following day the Loggia was open for hotel guest but it was raining and foggy.
Overall Villa Mangiacane is beautiful but since it is run and owned by people who do not need money therefor could not really care about service and hiring better staff ,the Mangiacne is just like a hobby to them .There are far better places in the area with half the price tag.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A unique villahotel, where every room is different, from cardinal-red opulence of Medici or Borgia times via african art, sculpture and paintings to ladies rooms with pastell yellow, green and rosè. Guest will enjoy the view from the grand loggia or the first floor loggia over our vineyards and olive groves to the cupola of Florence cathedral. Two pools, an indoor restaurant and the herbal garden al fresco dining invite to stop and enjoy florentine and italian as well as international cuisie. The fluidum of long bygone days will be reawakened when you look at the frescoes and remind yourself, that Nicolo Machiavelli lived and worked here over 500 years ago , and it is purported that Michelangelo did some work during the 7 year's stay of Machiavelli stay here. Add to all that the winery, tasting wines at leisure in our barrique cellar or try our olive oil during our cooking classes -you have let yourself in for an unique stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Mangiacane reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Mangiacane Hotel San Casciano In Val Di Pesa
- Villa Mangiacane San Casciano In Val Di Pesa, Tuscany, Italy