“Don't Stay in the Newer rooms, Stay in the main Villa”
Review of Villa Mangiacane

Villa Mangiacane
Taipei, Taiwan
“Don't Stay in the Newer rooms, Stay in the main Villa”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The owner is a white African and thus the Villa has a lot of African art. Nice art outside in the sculpture garden, but not so nice in our room. Ugly leopard print throw pillows on the bed. There was a plunge pool and it was full of very cute little baby frogs and other things. Not very clean. The Wifi didn't work in the room. The satellite TV also didn't work. The owner now lives in Monaco. I think he should move back to maintain standards but then maybe this is his standard? I stayed in one of those new rooms he made not in the main villa. Nice photos of other rooms. This room was not nice. Bathroom was not that great. I mean not of any Tuscan style. The grounds are nice. The main villa is nice. The annex rooms or new extra rooms, whatever they call them are not so nice.

Room Tip: Stay only in the main villa.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HobartMJD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Our stay at Villa Mangiacane was MAGIC…. There really aren't words to describe how beautiful this 300 hectare Tuscan Estate really is. I am not sure any picture or website does not do it justice, seeing everything in person really blew us away. In a nutshell the villa sums up what we all imagine Tuscany to be… rolling hills, olive groves, vineyards, as well as beautifully laid out gardens which are a backdrop for unusual African Shona sculptures in Italy (I loved this contrast)…. The views from our terrace were idyllic and with Florence in the background, what more could you wish for!

The dining options in Florence and around the villa are really endless (from Tuscan family restaurants to fine dining… highlights include a finer dining experience Osteria di Passignano in Tuscany and a simple dinner at 13 Gobbi in Florence for dinner)…. We pre- booked all our dinners and spent only one dinner at the villa, in retrospect we should have done a second at the villa…. The service at the villa on the one dinner we spent there was friendly and warm and the food was exactly what you want from Tuscany- simple flavours that let the local ingredients shine! I believe the chef is local young man and we loved the approachable food he cooked that everyone can enjoy but in a beautifully presented way! The table next to us had pre ordered a salt baked Branzino for dinner… something I would suggest pre arranging when booking. Really looked so delicious! Breakfast focussed on local meats, cheeses, yogurts sourced from the Northern part of Italy (best diary comes from the North of Italy!!) and great pastries and fruits. Not to mention the yummy coffee!

We were travelled a little early in the summer season to enjoy endless long days at the pool- which looks SUPER chic and cool… but instead we filled our days with visits to Florence (the Villa’s shuttle makes this a 15 minute drive to the city a breeze), enjoyed for the most beautiful walks on the estate, excursions to a few Tuscan villages and a wine tasting at the villa itself which was great and a visit and tasting at the brand spanking new Antonori cellar, a 100 million euro architectural masterpiece only 10 minutes away from the villa! UNREAL!!! While satisfying shopping cravings in Florence I would definitely not miss the Ferragamo exhibition at their new museum in Florence that only ends in April 2014!

The only down side was we only booked for 3 nights, we ended up extending to 4 nights and still felt it was not long enough…. I would properly recommend a 4 night stay to really fully enjoy and experience what the Villa, Florence and Tuscany has to offer! I also found out that I had booked our trip to Villa Mangiacane a week after the world famous Mille Miglia race which passes through the village San Casciano VP, the village that Villa Mangiacane is located in! Any car enthusiast (like my husband) should definitely be staying at the Villa over the weekend that the Mille Miglia passes through San Casciano VP and experience the iconic race. It is one of those boxes in life everyone should try and TICK ONCE….. we have already earmarked that for 2014!!! :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Villa Mangiacane for five nights after eloping and getting married on the Isle of Capri. Upon arriving at the villa (built for the Machiavelli family), we were greeted by pleasant staff who quickly informed us that we had received a complimentary room upgrade from our booked junior suite to the Terrace Suite. Our room was beautiful, with our initial entrance greeted by a bottle of wine, and a fruit and cheese tray on the table, and flowers covering the bed. The terrace (fronting the side of the villa designed by Michelangelo) overlooked the villa grounds and had a view of the Duomo. The grounds are dotted with unique sculptures from the collection of the villa's owner, a very nice Zimbabwean investor (who sometimes stays on the grounds; look for his helicopter below the terrace). Wander and explore the villa and grounds--rather than feeling like another guest at an expensive hotel, you will feel like you are simply an invited guest of a wealthy Tuscan villa owner. Do not miss the complimentary happy hour on the terrace, if your schedule permits it. The restaurant served excellent food, both at breakfast and dinner. The pool provided a very relaxing experience. This is a great place to stay if you want to be close to Florence, but want to avoid the significant hassles of actually staying in the city. The Villa Mangiacane is only about 7 miles from Florence, and is close enough to one of the main highways that it makes traveling around Tuscany very easy. We would highly recommend the Villa Mangiacane for anyone looking for a unique Tuscan experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My wife and I loved every second of our stay here. From the picturesque views to the delicious food and the luxurious accommodations, we didn't want to leave. Try the homemade Picci pasta, it's amazing- and the wine ain't bad either!

• Stayed June 2013
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Hard for words to describe how wonderful Villa Magiacane was.
My wife and I stayed 3 nights in early May for 20 Anniversary. I looked long and hard to find the perfect place and Villa Mangiacane went way beyond expectations.
The staff was unbelievably helpful, they even helped me ship back my iPad I accidentally left behind. The grounds were impeccable and the views of the Tuscan landscape from the terraces were breathtaking. We hand chose room #14 from TA and manager Helmut's personal recommendation. It was luxurious with postcard views out every open window, including the bathroom! The food was every bit as good. We ate on the terrace, the main dining room, and a private candlelit dinner in the wine cellar on our last nite. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Room #14 was recommended by the manager and had beautiful views of property and Tuscan landscape.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ray J
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed at Villa Mangiacane for 3 nights. Upon arrival , the most friendly staff welcomed us and made us feel right at home straight away. The Villa is set on a hill with spectacular views and has a beautiful garden of its own which includes two swimming pools. The food we ate at the restaurant of the Villa was world class. I highly recommend the Villa if you are looking for a magical experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gina a
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This place exceeded all my expectations. The food was amazing (the cooking lesson with the executive chef Luca is not to be missed-he was great!), the views were more beautiful than any picture I've ever seen of Tuscany, the rooms were cozy and updated, and the staff was very attentive and helpful. I will always have a special place in my heart for this hotel because my boyfriend proposed on the property. He took me on a walk down to the olive trees behind the main villa and put a ring in a red italian poppy. :) It was so romantic, and the setting couldn't have been more perfect. I didn't want to leave!! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
Castello del Nero Hotel & Spa
#1 of 4 in Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Hotel Le Fontanelle
Hotel Le Fontanelle
#1 of 1 in Pianella
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti

Been to Villa Mangiacane? Share your experiences!