“Cold atmosphere and loud classical Chopin music”

Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vicchio
Reviewed 19 September 2012

If you appreciate loud classical Chopin's piano concerts during breakfast, lunch & diner, then you must stay here! If you prefer a warm Mediterranean atmosphere avoid this place and read my review.

We booked this hotel for 5 nights, but decided to leave after 2 nights. Let me tell you why.

The arrival was good. I always appreciate when the host is shaking hands on arrival. So was here. The receptionist introduced herself and shook hands with us upon arrival. We were lucky because we were offered a free upgrade to a junior suite. So far, so good.

During diner we ordered Chianti wine from the wine list and to my surprise the waiter brought us a bottle which was already opened. I expressed my surprised reaction because it is actually normal that an ordered bottle is opened in the presence of the guest. I asked the waiter if there was any specific reason why he brought us an already opened bottle. The reaction was "I just opened it just a few minutes ago" and with an irritated attitude he pored the wine into the glasses and left the table.

In the morning, we experienced the good quality of the breakfast. However, I noticed the loud classical music that played an annoying piano concert. During lunch, all guests were disappeared. Although the hotel is serving lunch, there is no warm welcoming atmosphere that invites quests to go for lunch: the tables are not prepared and we did not feel invited by the lady that served lunch. And again: the loud classical piano concerts. Sometimes it felt like that the hotel is playing some auto-reloop classical CD without being aware that it must changed sometimes to create a warm Mediterranean atmosphere (e.g. Buena Vista Social Club, Cesaria Evora).

We decided not to have lunch or diner anymore in the hotel. Instead, we found some nice places in the area (like Ristorante L'antica Porta di Levante). We informed the reception about our personal opinion about the classical music and invited the receptionist to think about some alternative music. Politely, the receptionist informed us that we this classical music is the best music to create the warm and relaxing atmosphere. She even gets compliments about it!

We decided not to stay any longer here despite our 5 night reservation and to look for a warm atmosphere hotel and area, which we found in Fiesole.

7  Thank 276aleX
gemmapasquali, Proprietario at Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Dear 276aleX,
when Tatiana asked you after 3 nights you were with us - not 2 as you wrote - if there were any problems the answer you gave her was that you were leaving because there is not much to do here. We have to admit, this is the first time we've heard this complaint. Our website and our blog is constantly updated on the activities to do. There are no lies on it or in any of our descriptions. We work transparently. Here it is the list of the activities you can choose while staying at Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort (at the Reception we have many informative leaflets on all the activities at the Resort and in the Mugello area): truffle hunting with the truffle hunter and his dog, an unique experience to be in touch with the glorious nature surrounding our Resort; mountain bike trails with our free mountain bikes; nature trails in our private park of 120 hectares; olive oil tasting with an expertise entered in the national list of tasters (much like an educational then an olive oil tasting with lots of technical and strategic informations); extra-virgin olive oil massages - nice list of treatments - with an excellent price for the quality and the location of the treatments; cookery courses - 6 different courses - with our Award-Winner Chef Roberto Zanieri; painting courses learning the Renaissance techniques of painting. In the area, artisanal wine cellars for amazing wine tastings, splendid cheese makers, Museums of Renaissance Art and the glorious Florence just 39 minutes by train or 45 minutes by car. It's hard to believe that you left because there is not much to do here. I simply believe that Villa Campestri was not the right place for you but this is not our fault. You have been asked to pay the total amount of your stay and the review pop up magically. This is not fair. There are constructive, spontaneous, serious reviews from guests that really help growing our service and learning from our mistakes but we do not think it is fair to give misleading informations to other readers transforming a non-issue complaint (the story of the loud classical music, of the wine, of the cold atmosphere is pathetic and offensive) into really bad disappointment.
We work with our Maitre Dario Bogani for so many years and we trust him when he says that what you wrote is not correct. He opened the bottle in the main room where there is a small special table for wine tasting called "gueridon" a few minutes before serving it to oxygenate the wine since you chose a Chianti Classico La Pieve 2007. Our maitre open and taste every single bottle before serving it. This is a well known practice in every up-level Restaurant in order not to ruin your mouth with a bad cork defect. Also the maitre needs to check a second hidden potential defect called "vino spoglio" - empty wine. It is the way to do it. Dario offered to open a new bottle and your answer was "It's not necessary". It's not true that Dario was irritated, he was just uncomfortable for the situation that you created in the Restaurant and that never happened before. We are not here to cheat our guests. We are open since 1991, it's 21 years of activity, what do you think that we give our guests opened refilled bottles of wine? We are a very well known Restaurant all over the world and your insinuations do not touch us. We are replying to you only because of other readers using TripAdvisor with consciousness.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We came here convinced by the good reviews and the beautiful pictures but it wasn't what we expected. The location didn't have the views I was looking for and the whole "resort" was very small, dark and not cozy. If you call yourself a resort you expect at least a common area with sofas and lounges where you can sit quietly and relax in a decently lit separate space. Here the lounge area is between the reception and the dining area in a narrow, dark space where everyone walks past you. We had also a VERY BAD SERVICE from the lady at the reception who was rude and totally not client oriented. My 72 year old father didn't feel well after the first night and we had to cancel our three night stay. Instead of allowing us to leave and refund us the two remaining nights she told us they had to first find someone else to occupy our rooms to allow a full refund. An hour later we overheard two guests ( a young couple) discussing wanting to stay two more nights but wandering if there was still availability. We offered them our room (to get at least one room refunded) and they accepted and decided to take it. The lady at the reception reacted outraged saying we had talked into it and that that didn't count. The resort had to have ALL rooms occupied before we could get a refund (all of a sudden!)

We left APPALLED by the lady and by the managers we got to talk to on the phone. Never again I would go back there nor recommend this place to anyone I love.

(FYI: I am Italian, my wife american and we were travelling with my parents for a three night stay in, what we thought would have been, a relaxing, green, cozy, friendly tuscan resort).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank msabu64
gemmapasquali, Proprietario at Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Guest,
every time we get a bad review (9 in total) the mood of the Villa Campestri's team drops, of course. We all try to do our best so it's hard to read negative words about us. We usually turn the negative opinions into positive, learning from the mistakes. But this review is an exception.

The Resort has 3 main lounges (about 100 square meters each) where guests can enjoy staying together or reading a book, drink something, have a chat or work on their computers. There is one at the ground floor of the Villa (the one the guest is talking about), one at the first floor and one at the second floor. These spaces are at complete disposal of our guests. We are surrounded by a luscious park of 120 hectares full of chairs, deckchairs, benches from which to admire the stunning view.

We have received your the reservation and inserted into our system. You called us several times before the arrival in order to fix all the arrangements and found out for extra informations. I have personally answered two of your calls. One was referring to your father who needed a junior suite at the ground floor with walk-in shower. Although several days were passed since we got your reservation (and in the meantime other reservations occurred), I have changed all the planning to find the right solution for your family. The second call I answered was to ask to postpone your stay at Villa Campestri. You required again the ground floor with walk-in shower for your father and again a problem for us to change all the room's assignments. You told me that the reason why you wanted to postpone the stay was not a disease or a physical problem of none of the family but the fact that the weather was not supposed to be nice and that you were afraid because of the traffic and you didn’t want to lose time on the road (it was a special weekend). So we agreed, of course, and very gently confirmed the new reservation to you. This is a demonstration that we are very much client-oriented and we care about our guests and want only the best for them (sorry, we cannot manage with the weather...for the moment!).

When you arrived everything looked fine and the sun was shining. The reservation was for 3 nights, two junior suites. The following morning some clouds in the sky and the problem of your 72 years old father’s health. We were fully booked and kept the rooms for you. Normally, if a guest wants to leave in advance we can be nice and cooperate where possible. You’ve been told you had to pay the second night and not the third, so we shared the loss but you didn’t want to pay either the second night. So we assured you that we would have tried to resell the rooms for the third night and let you know.

Along with confirmation by email explaining our cancellation policy, there is another policy as in all the businesses that is not specified in the confirmation e-mail but we all know: you cannot sell something that belongs to someone else. You can sell something which is yours. You had the courage to disturb two of our guests that wanted to extend their stay for one extra night. I will try to explain what happened even if it is so unbelievable, I'm sure something like this has never happened before anywhere else. As I said, a couple staying at Villa Campestri wanted to extend their stay and asked at the Reception. As you where listening as soon as the couple step out from the Reception area, you approached and proposed them the following solution: "I am leaving earlier so my Junior suite is available tonight. Why don't you give me the money of the difference between a classic room you are looking for and I give you my Junior suite?" The couple was surprised but thinking of an Italian way of doing, they said yes and gave you the money. So you sold our junior suite to try to get back at least some money (Euro 90,00). It looked like we were in a market contracting the best price. Sorry if I interrupted this situation in my hotel. I have never heard something like this, never ever. This is our business and we do not want money passing from a guest to another because it's just not fair. Simona, the girl at the Reception could not been rude, she was just shocked.

When I talked with you over the phone I apologized as I was not in the hotel and that I could have been there in some hours. You did not want to wait of course so I let you talking and tried to persuade you that it was not possible an exchange of rooms with money passing from guest to another, this is just not correct. You have been really aggressive and rude to me but never mind. What really made me upset was that you insulted me saying that you was going to write a very bad review on TripAdvisor....and here we are! I told you that the decision to write a bad review was only yours and that my position would not change. I also told you that I did not care that he threatened us with the sword of bad reviews. We are right and will continue on our way. You had to pay two of the three nights (one used and one for late cancellation).

The bad review arrived months later, maybe because you were hoping we did not remember all these details...but you know what? We are client-oriented and remember everything!

For the readers: you wonder what happened in the meantime to the father? He was just fine.

Dear msabu64, I am happy to say that your review did not change the mood of anyone in the team at Villa Campestri and did not teach us anything.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

My wife and I went to the Villa Campestri resort for 10 days.
It was one of the most beautiful place that we've been: Peaceful, the view is incredible, the food is absolutely delicious, and the staff are absolutely pationnate with what they do, so the service is perfect in a family atmosthere. You don't feel like a customer, but a friend.

If you wish to relax only, it's a great place to be because the scenary is beautiful and their are courses to take.
Otherwise, if you desire to visit around (Chianti, Florence, Cinque Terre, etc), there is many places to see by car or train (available in minutes from the resort), and the staff can also help you organize tours.

While you are there, take the olive oil course which is so instructive, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: We were on the room 46, which has a nice view, but if you can a room on the second floor, the view m...
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We chose Villa Campestri from its Trip Advisor reviews for a single night stay during a Tuscany driving tour and were not disappointed. The hotel has been fitted to a very high standard without losing any of the truely authentic touches. The reception staff could not have been more pleasant but for us the crowning glory was the evening meal; it was one of the best we've ever eaten and served with descrete panache. Around €100 for the two of us including drinks, not cheap but worth every cent. The breakfast too was a wonderful affair, genuinely delicious.

The hotel offers massages at €80 and olive oil tasting sessions at €50 which we felt were a little pricey, but on the other hand is pleased to offer free use of mountain bikes for exploring the surrounding countryside.

We'd thoroughly recommend Villa Campestri and would definately consider returning when next in the area.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was a last minute short trip for myself and my two 17 year-old children. We all thought it was blissful. I hope the aroma from the cedar trees and lavendar bushes with the clear mountain air will remain with me for a long time.
The staff were lovely. We got lost finding the hotel on the first evening (take good maps, a sat nav or a phone with GPS) and they held the kitchen open for us. The welcome was warm and the food was manna.
I expected we would want to sight see and only use the hotel as a base but the truth was that it was so relaxing and the views/walks so fabulous we really could not bear to leave.
Only down side was getting used to the italian mountain roads and that was my lack of experience more than anything. I becme quite laid back after a few days.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed two nights and would have extended a third night but the resort was booked.
Location: In the middle of nowhere. We arrived late and it was quite a drive up the mountain to reach resort. The view from our room made the whole trip worthwhile. The property is beautiful and very well maintained. This location is an excellent base to tour the area. *****

Service: Excellent. The owner is on site during the day and evening. ****

Room: Wonderful furniture and bed. Clean bathroom **** 1/2

Food: We ate all our dinners in the hotel restaurant. Food was excellent. Prices while not cheap were reasonable for a hotel. **** The breakfast was adequate. ***

Things to do: There is a nice pool, after dinner many guests sit in the lobby and chat. I would say there was an equal mix of European and North American guests.

Wi-Fi: free worked in the main part of the resort

Summary: This is a small resort, very well run and a different hotel experience than a Hilton type hotel. This is a resorts operated by a family who clearly love what they do. Note: the resort does not have a/c. While it was warm during the day (early Sept.) evenings were cool so this was not an issue. I hope the high trip advisor status does not hurt service, quality or value. We really enjoyed our stay one of our favorite hotels during our holiday ****1/2

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had a fantastic stay at the Campestri, A big thank you to Viola and her team for looking after us so well.The hotel grounds are a haven of tranquility and the view from the pool is breathtaking. The restaurant has a lovely ambience and the food served there is delicious.
We will be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vicchio
Villa la Borghetta Spa Resort
Residenza di Campagna Montelleri
Albergo Diffuso - Locanda Senio
Albergo Diffuso - Locanda Senio
#1 of 3 in Palazzuolo Sul Senio

Been to Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort? Share your experiences!