“A very special place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boliqueime
Quinta da Cebola Vermelha
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boliqueime
Guernsey
“A very special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2007

My wife and I searched the internet for somewhere quiet for a short stay before moving into a villa on the coast. The previous reviews were very complimentary and I can vouch that they are absolutely correct in every respect. When we walked in, to be warmly greeted by Ard, my wife and I uttered the 'whow' word at the same time. The architecture and interior design of the the Quinta is stunning and they have managed to create a warm, welcoming and beautiful ambiance everywhere. The bedrooms all have individual designs and are very comfortable and appealing. Ard's wife is an artist and the Dutch builder also had an artistic background and their influence is much in evidence all over the property. Ard himself is charming and charismatic and an excellent host apart from being a talented chef.
Having stayed in many properties all over the world, the Quinta da Cebola Vermelha, stands out in my mind as a very special place and one that we will definitely return to for a longer stay as it is the perfect place to 'chill-out'.

• Liked — The beautiful ambiance and mine host
  • Disliked — Nothing at all!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

I found this place from one of the supplements in a national paper, and my wife and I have never been so thankful that we bought the paper that day. As echoed in review below, our holiday was, without doubt, the most memorable stay we have had (along with honeymoon of course :).

The Quinta was stunningly decorated and furnished with not an oversight in its attention to detail. Our room was perfect; clean comfortable, beautifully decorated and quiet. The location was great, quiet and in the hills but within easy reach of airport (20 min) and local village.

The pool area was superb, stylish and comfortable and you are left alone to listen to the birds, read and go for a dip. As mentioned the food was better than most places you will eat. Ard is a spectacular cook, my wife is veggie and ard kindly put together some amazing dishes.

Finally, the hospitality was second to none. This is how a place should be run. Always friendly, helpful, polite, kind but also leave you to rest. You will not spend your money in a better place than this. Stop looking for other places as you will not find any better. If it is slightly over your budget (105 euros per room/night) trust me, find that bit extra as it will make all the difference...can't wait to go back...

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank jontuch
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2007

Without exaggeration, this is the nicest place I have ever stayed. To put our stay into context, myself and my girlfriend had spent the previous 2 nights in Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville and Quinta da Cebola Vermelha beats it hands down in every respect. The fact that Quinta costs only a fraction of the price of Alfonso is an added bonus but my comments are not based on money, they are based on quality of the service provided including a pristine and homely farmhouse, magnificent cooking and the nicest, warmest and most accomodating hosts you are ever likely to encounter.

There are 6 rooms in the farmhouse and we stayed in room 5 which couldnt but not bring a smile to your face so full of soft and bright colours every aspect of the room was including the prettiest en suite bathroom with painted wooden doors for the shower. This place is all about ambience and making you feel welcome (little shells are placed on towels and even the loo roll in the bathroom and a fresh bottle of water is placed in the bathroom each morning which sends the message that these hosts love what they are doing and they want you to love it too).

But dont be put off by the word farmhouse - Quinta is all about comfort - not many farmhouses in Ireland have underfloor heating in the beautifully tiled bedroom and bathroom.

The main living area is extremely spacious yet manages to retain a cosy feel (probably to do with the warm glow coming from the log fire). It is in this room where Ard andNoor and their son Sebastian bring a new meaning to the word customer service. (it was a bit cold when we were there but there are long tables outside in the lovely garden which is where I understand all the activities and dinners happen in the spring/summer).

From the introductions where you are told to help yourself to the fine collection of local wines and full bar (you are just asked to write in the book what you have taken for it to be incorporated in your final bill) to breakfast each morning, healthy and tasty and always served with warm conversation.

But dinner (which is served on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) - wow. Congratulations Ard because the meal I had last Thursday was bar none the best meal I have ever eaten. I consider myself a bit of a foodie (in as much as you can be in Ireland!) and have eaten in many michelin starred restaurants. Never before have I receievd three courses so bursting with different flavours that I didnt want it to end. And all this for under 30 euro, I felt like i was stealing. My girlfriend is a vegan and vegans are generally not particularly well catered for on the continent. I had advised Ard of this in advance and without any fuss, he provided my girlfriend with some of the best vegan cooking she has had in ages. Thanks Ard (who by the way ran his own restaurant in Holland for 15 years which explains why his cooking is so good).

A few practical pieces of information: Quinta is easy to get to - only a 20 minute drive from Faro airport. Although inland, it is only a 10 minute drive from the sea and has the bonus from being out of sight of the high rise coast of the Algarve. It is more suited to people who want to enjoy the good things in life (good chats and great food) and is not the place to go if you are planning a boozy holiday with the lads or even your girlfriend. However, if you do fancy a night out, you are only a 15 minute taxi to the razmatazz. The countryside is great and Ard is happy to provide bikes for your to explore the tiny roads lined with orange trees.

Finally I cannot emphasise enough how nice our hosts were. It was clear they loved what they were doing and it was a real pleasure to share in that for a few days. We will be back.

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank bolandogloom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boliqueime
BELA VISTA Hotel & SPA
#13 of 163 in Albufeira
Quinta Jacintina Hotel
Quinta Jacintina Hotel
#8 of 16 in Almancil

Been to Quinta da Cebola Vermelha? Share your experiences!