“New Year´s Eve dinner”

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Porches
Price range: US$56 - US$337
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ocean Restaurant is VILA VITA Parc Resort & Spa's fine dining signature restaurant, established in the southernmost region of Portugal, the Algarve. Austrian Executive Chef Hans Neuner - named Portugal's Chef of the Year 2009 & 2012 - and his team have been awarded Two Michelin Stars since 2011. Every dinner at Ocean restaurant is a sensorial experience, always with breathtaking views over the Atlantic ocean. The Ocean Restaurant is located at the VILA VITA Parc Resort & Spa, part of the VILA VITA Hotels group.
Faro, Portugal
“New Year´s Eve dinner”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just spent where New Year´s Eve. Food was tasty, just in one dish meat felt a little rubbery... The selection of wines they recomended was really exellent! Service was nice and attentive,
The firework that hotel fixed up for the guests was a really nice touch.
But.. there was a promise of life music that didn´t happend!
Parking is quite far away, but we were ofered buggy transporatation from the reception. Still, one had to walk not a nice distance till there.
The overall impression is that we purchased service that wasn´t good enough for the money spent!
I´m not sure I´ll back here...

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Edinburgh
“felt like we should be grateful to be there......”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Having booked Ocean well in advance of our holiday to the Algarve as a treat for my husband and I who really love Michelin Star dining. We were both really looking forward to 2 Michelin star experience.

What a disappointment! My husband had pre informed them that he doesn't eat fish and given the restaurant is called Ocean and is by the sea he wanted to give them plenty of notice to offer alternatives. When we arrived we were presented with standard tasting menu's, when my husband said what are the alternatives to fish, the waiter had to go and get the manager.......

Anyway, after being made feel pretty awkward they spoke to the Chef and alternatives were offered. We chose a 5 course tasting menu and matching wines each. The quality was good as you would expect and the extra courses were all very imaginative, until for one of his starter courses my husband was served poached egg wrapped in caviar. Having informed them no fish or shellfish this was really pretty unacceptable.

The meal was good but no better than some of the 1 Michelin star restaurants we visit and the service really needs to improve for special requests. It did feel like you should fit in with them.....

And the cost..... at €550, we will not be back.

We visited La Cabana in Murcia last year and had a significantly better experience for a fraction of the cost. And our home town of Edinburgh with it's 5 Michelin star restaurant, every one different and ever one better than this......

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Familyof4Edinburgh
bmateus, Director of eCommerce at Ocean Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Sirs,

It saddens me to hear our services disappointed you and that you did not have the experience expected from our 2 Michelin starred Ocean Restaurant.

The incident related to the one starter which did not meet your special requests is indeed most regrettable and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I am surprised that you feel the food is not up to a 2 Michelin star standard, as the Ocean Restaurant is renowned for its outstanding service, amazing food and exceptional wines. I truly regret that we were unable to provide you with the level of service we consistently strive to provide each and every one of our guests and I apologize that this had an impact on your overall experience.

Should you come back to our resort and restaurants, I would appreciate to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at VILA VITA Parc,

With kind regards

Kurt Gillig

(posted by Bruno Mateus)
northern ireland
“Adega in vita parc...a gem”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Adega is one of several restaurants within the vita parc complex.....Portuguese style menus
and musical entertainment all adds to the splendor of the complex.....food was great and service
Just made you feel...a birthday celebration in May 2013 at this restaurant was fantastic Complete with electric buggy transfers and supplies of water for our onward transfer home....another visit will
Be made next year

• Visited October 2013
Braga, Portugal
“Paradise”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

The food, wines , everything was perfect.Peraphs the service was too formal, but the experience was so good. I know several restaurants , like Cavalli in Dubai, Al. Mahara (Burj el arab),Olivier(London) and, believe me, Ocean is WOMDERFUL.Dont miss it, PLEASE

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Otilia12-12
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Sorry not 2 star”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Really Michelin 2**?

Times must be changing if Ocean is truly a two star Michelin restaurant.

The service was appalling we waited over two hours for our first course to arrive while we watched the couple opposite us who arrived five minutes after us have the whole of their meal before we had any of ours!

I don't know if there is a head waiter but no one takes charge,be aware the little room off to the left of the dining room is one of those blind spots and the settee on the left is the blindest of blind spots.

I lost count of the number of times waiters would walk in looking right and walk out looking left so never looking at our table.

The food arrives in an array of fantastic vessels but rather than enhance the dishes it overshadows what is quite bland food.

The only other Michelin starred Portuguese restaurant I know is Il Gallo d'oro in Madeira which is better than this on every level but most importantly the food.
Would we have enjoyed it more if the service had been better ? Probably.

• Visited August 2013