My wife and two sons spent 12 splendid days at Vilalara at the beginning of August. The flight was bang on time to Faro and MPV transit from Faro to Vilalara was around 45 minutes. So far so good and upon arriving, first impressions were really excellent.
It is really clean. Really clean, I don't think I saw a scrap of litter in our time there, and the very large gardens were all immaculate - Looked after by a squadron of charming and polite gardeners. At reception I was pleased to be greeted by Sandra Raposo, a delightful lady who had already helped me with my booking, and then assisted in making my wife's birthday a very happy one - I had flowers arranged for me with Sandra's help, and the hotel added a bottle of champagne and birthday cake too - On the house :)
We had two of the larger rooms, and they were fantastic - Clean, well maintained, and very very well equipped and spacious. I have never had such a large room at such a reasonable cost before.
I have no hesitation in saying how nice Vilalara is and how delightfully friendly and helpful all the staff were. Definitely would like to return someday. I am a B&G hotel lover anyway, as the whole organisation is dedicated to making you feel comfortable and happy.
The high points:
The staff - The rooms - The whole site - The beach - The view - The standard of food (Bit dear though!) - The evening entertainment - Sandra! - The whole attitude of nothing being too much trouble. You ask - It is there.
And Mojitos to die for...
Slight low points:
The mosquitoes - They were really rough this year, and apparently there was a reason, and it is unlikely to ever be as bad again. Something about the local contract for pest control not being administered properly? Anyway, it isn't the hotel's fault that there are mosquitoes, it's a hot country and it is near water - But it is worth taking some repellent, and anti-histamine treatments. I wish we had had one of those room repellents that you plug in. They were evil, greedy persistent little devils. Mosquitoes were a conversation theme with lots of people during our stay. You may like to be prepared! A river runs through the site and mozzies love water.
The shop is a bit of a mixed bag too - The stock is pretty erratic, and could cater a little bit better? Sounds a bit moany I suppose, but at least you could get a paper every day and the hotel could provide anything else I dare say (Chewing gum? Insect bite cream? Choccy would have been nice - I never asked, but I don't actually think the shop is part of the hotel)
Major plus - A bottle of water is delivered to your room free every day. A nice touch, and something every other hotel could make note of. I don't think water should ever be 'upsold'.
Some people suggested that the hotel was not child-friendly. This is total rubbish, the Portuguese people all love kids, and there were many families with kids and everyone was very happy and it had no miserable colonels smoking pipes and grumbling about the noise.
The hotel 'campus' is huge, it never feels crowded and everything felt relaxed and well run. I really can't recommend Vilalara highly enough.
Thank you again B&G hotels - sixth time lucky!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 50 kilometres from Faro airport (FAO, ALgarve - Portugal), the Blue&Green Vilalara Thalassa Resort is a lakeside haven of style, comfort and exclusivity. As you gaze out and enjoy the setting you will realize the resort’s true essence and magic. This is a fascinating place where every detail has been designed for your wellbeing. Located on the Praia das Gaivotas cliff overlooking the sea, with a 12-hectare area consisting mainly of magnificent gardens, the Resort has 100 junior suites, 11 suites and 13 apartments. The low-rise architecture is marked by soft lines and colours and appears to have been inspired by Gaudi. It includes one restaurant of Portuguese cuisine and gourmet, low-calorie menus, and another with theme dinners and barbecues. It also features six outdoor pools of fresh and sea water and one of its main trademark images: the Thalassotherapy and Spa Center, the first in Portugal and one of the most respected in the world. soft lines and colours and appears to have been inspired by Gaudi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HRS and getaroom.com so you can book your Blue & Green Vilalara Thalassa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue & Green Vilalara Thalassa Hotel Porches
- Blue And Green Vilalara Thalassa Resort
- Vilalara Thalassa Hotel
- Sofitel Armacao De Pera
- Vilalara Thalassa Porches
- Sofitel Thalassa Vilalara
- Blue & Green Vilalara Thalassa Resort Algarve, Portugal - Porches