“Fun and Sun on our holiday”

Flor da Rocha - Apartamentos Turisticos
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had a wonderful holiday in Portugal in Praia da Rocha (our first time and definitely not our last....) in July just gone. The self-catering apartments were just what we wanted... clean, spacious and just a short distance from the beach. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. Our kids, ages 10 and nearly 8 loved the swimming pools and they were not overcrowded which was even better.
The resort of Praia da Rocha is all about the beach during the day and then all the bars and restaurants come alive with the hustle and bustle in the evening. We happened upon some go-karting just up from the beach and the kids loved that. Other than that we visited the two waterparks Zoomarine and Slide and Splash which we a huge hit also.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Eve031

Reviewed 3 August 2010

Upon arrival after midnight we were greeted by a friendly member of staff. The corridors were dimly lit but this is due to energy saving and light switches are along the corridor. The room was bigger than we expected. We had a kitchenette with plenty utensils, a large dining table, sofa bed, large fridge and best of all a balcony. The room was spotless. My only concern was that the safe wasn't working-we asked at reception for this to be rectified and it wasn't (my only complaint.) However, we kept our passports safely. The bathroom was meticilous also! The apartment was cleaned every day! The pool was of good size and there were plenty sunloungers available! I was more than satisfied with these apartments! If you intend on spending the main duration of your sunholiday indoors choose a more luxurious apartment! For me, the price was right, the location was excellent and the place was spotless! I would recommend this to any age group.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank marann26
Reviewed 22 September 2007

We have just returned from this hotel and I must say initially I thought it was going to be a holiday from hell, having read the latest reviews before departure.
On arrival our room was facing the dreaded building work opposite and as stated the work does start early as 7am but only noise was tapping and the occasional grinder. I complained to reception and was subsequently moved to a much better room on the other side of the building facing the pool and was very pleased with this.
I know kettles are not provided but a simple tip is to use the saucepan that is provided which resembles a teapot anyway and boiling water in this was more than adeqaute.
The games room could do with an upgrade and a lick of paint but we only used it for playing some pool etcetara so did not spoil my holiday at all as there much to do in the surrounding area. The staff were all great and very pleasant and had no problems whatsoever as has been stated in previous reviews (so has there been some staff changes??). The pool was clean and tidy and maintained well as was the kiddies pool and inflatable beds,rings and toys were provided. The entertainment was not that good (even though the Karaoke was fun!!) but again the surrounding area had much to offer. I cannot comment on the kids room and entertainer as my daughter is 14 and did not use it , but it was open and seemed okay.
I also found that the corridors were well lit so whether this has also been improved since last reviews I am not sure.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for a cheap break but if you are put in a room facing the site , have a complaint entered into the book and get a room change.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank briffy
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Large building site about 40M away. Very noisy, not for sleeping on. Pool very small and overcrowded and book your beds early as there is not enough of them. Apartments OK but esential items taken out (kettle, toaster etc.) and avaliable for hire @ €10 per item per week. Rip Off. Bar closes early no entertainment worth talking about. Games room need some games. Pool tables but no cues. Drab interior. Cheap but not cheerful. Keep away until building work is finished.
PS. Last photo on web is not this hotel.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 10 August 2007

just returned from this apartment complex.most of the staff were fairly unfriendly except for the two ladies at the pool bar. I was half afraid to ask for something most of the time.Balcony looked on to a building site with jack hammers going at eight in the morning till seven or eight in the evening

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We visited this hotel in August 2007. We thought the hotel was good for a base. We had our breakfast and lunch in appartment and had dinner out every night. It is in a great location. I felt the kids club could have been better. The appartment was clean and spacious. I thought they could have put on more entertainment at night. Overall i would recommend these apartments. The location is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank donal5132
Reviewed 29 September 2006

Went with group of friends late September 2006. After reading reviews, I was very anxious that it was going to be awful but we were all very pleased with it. On arrival, we were allocated with 3 two bedroom apartments, rather than the two we ordered/paid for, but we were not about to complain about that-especially the bargain price we paid for the rooms. The apartments were very spacious and clean, kitchenette basic, but we weren't concerned as we ate out most of the time. Sheets and towels changed regularly.
I agree with other reviews that the staff weren't particularly friendly, it depended who was on reception at the time.
The pool area was clean and pleasant (with highly uncomfortable sun loungers-no padding!) I imagine it would be packed at height of season-but as the beach is so beautiful and only about a five minute walk, it wouldn't matter.
I would recommend it to people who wanted clean and spacious accommodation who don't mind that the staff are hardly gushing towards the residents.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
Hotel Apartamentos Mirachoro II
Tivoli Marina Portimao
Tivoli Marina Portimao
#6 of 75 in Portimao

Been to Flor da Rocha - Apartamentos Turisticos? Share your experiences!