“Entire safe contents stolen , no forced entry, made complaint and thrown out”

Plaza Real Atlantichotels
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
Reviewed 31 July 2013

arrived 20/07/13 paid £3500 for entire holiday,2 adults and 3 kids aged 15,16,18 , due to leave 30/07/13, 1st impressions where good as other reviews have said like the apt size,air con and facilities etc.the only main flaw in that dept was cleanliness in rooms and pool area very poor.
but what happened on day 4 and from then on was not only unbelievable but truly shocking and has put so much stress on our whole family , on the morning of day 4, I was on balcony from 7.30 am, enjoying the sunrise and coffee, my partner joined me at 9am and we then left the apt and went for breakfast and lay at the pool, the children came down and spoke to us at 11 am and said they where going to the beach , I went up to the room at approx. 11.40am used my key to unlock the door and went in everything seemed normal until I went up to the main room where the safety deposit box was located , to my shock it had been forced from the wall and smashed open ,1800 euro cash,5 passports,my partners purse with bank and credit cards driving licence etc,and all travel and insurance documents taken. nothing else had been touched kindles,phones,my wallet in my jean pocket on chair still there thank god . at 1st the hotel staff helped ,they phoned the police etc , they arrived 25 mins later and took details , fingerprints etc. A staff member took us to the british consulate to get new passports which are temporary to get u home and cost 580 euro.The next day we went back to consulate as a party of 5 , spent 4 hours to get our new passports , they advised us to make a complaint in the hotel complaint book and ask about their safe insurance etc. So we started to ask these questions to the manager and also about checking cctv , when we started to ask these questions after our shocking and stressfull experience what came next was the biggest shock of all,the manager told us we had caused her 3 days of hell,and cause we told a few guests what happened to us so they could take extra care with security,the manager also told my partner we came here to cause trouble she phoned the police and we where told to get out totally unreal we where all in shock and very emotional.we did get to fill in the complaint book which the manager obviously didn't want us to do and we will be sending this to the relative authorities with a cover letter . we had to pay a further £260 to move accommodation plus a transfer and my partners brother had to send us £1500 to survive the rest of our Holiday from Hell
We also noticed that the upstairs doors in the rooms looked like they where locked but didn't and in fact when we asked to move into another room cause the children felt uncomfortable a maintenance man had to repair one of the same door locks,the rooms where 115,114
A truly shocking time at this hotel !!!

52  Thank Stuart M

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Arrived in this resort late sat evening of 20th july. First couple of days not too bad and rooms like everyone says below. Wednesday 24th july holiday from hell started, my partner got up around 7.30am sat on balcony to have a cup of coffee and I got up shortly after and we were both ready and by the pool by about 9.30am, 3 kids aged 18, 16 and 15 all wanted to go to beach so they left the room around 10.45, my partner and I sat at pool for another short time until he went up at around 1140 to go to safe. Door had to be unlocked when he arrived so up the stairs he went into our room and the safe was lying in middle of bedroom floor, cupboard drawers on bed and wardrobe smashed and chip wood everywhere. Safe had been physically removed and forced open with some kind of tool also surrounded by pillows, I assume to try and muffle the noise, 1800 euro taken all passports all travel documents my purse from home which contained credit cards and debit cards. Hotel at start seemed shocked and rang police who arrived about 25 mins later, the first thing they asked was where r the kids and could they have done it!!! Seriously like, the csi thenarrived and took fingerprints and photos. The police then left and said they wld be back around 4 with our police report, i asked hotel manager whar we do now and she said a cleaner wld be along shortly to tidy mess. As u can imagine we were in shock for most of day and when kids returned from beach we had to tell them what happened. We then went to reception and asked to move rooms the staff had changed and she said no when we explained why it was obvious she hadnt been informed of the robbery. I could on forever but basically what happened over the next few days was unreal, we went to embassy to get new passports etc and they gave us advice and said we should ask about safe insurance and also fill in a complaint form as soon as we tried to do this the older manager got nasty and defensive and refused to let us do it, we then went back again a day later and she told us we were causing her trouble and was phoning police to have us removed from premises! Police arrived quicker than the day of robbery and finally afer talking in portuguese with managers told us we had to leave because we had broken the rules of hotel by telling other guests to be careful. We were allowed to pack and then had to leave trailing our suitcases behind us with no help from no-one. Seriously folks u couldnt write a book cause no one would believe you. There was no forced entry into our room so how did they get in. This place is not safe I would advice you check all ur doors as when we were moved one of our door looked locked but cld be opened with a little shove, a maintenance man had to come fix it next day. I have been going to portugal for years and love the country but I'll never set foot in this place again, the managers have no respect for humanity and were only worried about there reputation. They have probably down themselves more damage by doing this as I intend on letting as many people know

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
43  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 29 July 2013

the apartment was quite good the staff was amazing and the weather was perfect. 10 minutes away from the beach but I have a lovely holidays. definitely come back again. Thanks to the staff of plaza real. paulo Baptista

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
2  Thank Paulo B
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I and our 2 year old son stayed at the Plaza Real for 8 nights from the 1st July. We booked through low cost holidays, this was a holiday on a tight budget so we weren't expecting anything fancy. I requested a ground floor apartment but when we arrived we were given the top floor. I asked the receptionist if they hadn't received my request to which he replied, yes it was there in front of him on the booking form. He wasn't sure why this hadn't been observed, he kindly moved us to a ground floor apartment without any hassle. The one thing that I wasn't happy about was the cleanliness, our apartment floor and the outside terrace was filthy, we asked them to clean it for us but outside wasn't ever done so we didn't use the terrace at all. I bought a mop and bucket and cleaned the apartment floor myself. The pool area was also dirty and we never saw anyone cleaning there. However, the pool did have some sanitizing tablets in the filters.
The area did feel a bit like a ghost town with so many empty apartments around. The beach was a 15 min walk and was lovely. 20 mins walk in another direction took us to a large supermarket with a lidl and aldi in the same area too, so a good choice of food.
I wouldn't go back to the Plaza Real again for the reasons I've listed above. But it was ok for a cheap holiday.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
3  Thank Loncy77
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This review is unbelievable but unfortunately it's very real. My sister arrived on Saturday to stay for 10 days and was happy enough with place. She spent 2 days enjoying the start of her holiday An then arrived home about 11.30am from a morning stroll with her partner an 3 kids. The rooms had been ransacked an the safe had been ripped from the wall and crowbarred open. All their passports an a substantial amount of cash had been stolen. They phoned the police and reported it in the normal manner. Obviously the children were upset but they felt that the insurance would kick in an all could be made good. How wrong they were. After sorting out new passports etc they were advised to ask the hotel to report it in their "accident book". Once this occurred the staff completely changed their attitude. The next day the supposed manager arrived and told them they had to leave. They had breached the confidentiality of the complex an had to leave. The police then arrived an they were put into the street with no further consideration. They had to get sorted with other accommodation and costs for transfers etc. apparently the accident book means the matter is reported to the local authorities An this caused concern. The staff also refused to allow them to see CCTV footage. Thrown out of your own apartment for being burgled!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE....

Room Tip: Make sure your safe cant be removed by a crow bar,,,,,,,,
30  Thank lynseycrooks
Reviewed 23 July 2013

These apartments are great, as a couple staying for a week there was more than enough room in the one bedroom apartment with separate kitchen, bathroom and lounge / dinning room. Air con throughout apartment worked without fault. Maid service every day. Pool is decent size and clean - more sun loungers arrived during our stay, which was needed as the pool got a bit busier in the afternoon. Early rise recommended to get a sunbed. Bar and restaurant is also decent although we had lunch just once as mostly ate in apartments during day and went our for dinner every night. Lidil is 20min walk away, but we went to mini supermarket direct opposite hotel for fresh bread / rolls every morning :) Hotel is 10min walk from beach and strip via a very short dirt track road or 20mins walk should you not want to use the shortcut. Being just a little bit a away from beach meant the hotel was nice a quiet late at night. Would recommend to couples and family's who enjoy the strip night life as hotel does not offer entertainment.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Genuinely cannot fault this place! Myself and 4 friends booked through travel republic and were amazed at the deal we got. I personally found the location brilliant - There was a shop at the top of the road, and the Continente shopping centre was a 10 minute walk away! The strip was roughly 10 minutes in the opposite direction, if you walked through a dirt track, and sometimes we also walked back at night, but if you get a taxi, it is roughly €4-5! If you say the strip/beach is too far away then you're just lazy. The hospital is also pretty close by too (5 - 10 minute drive). On the ground floor we had a good sized kitchen, a small toilet, lounge/dining room, and a pretty large balcony which easily sat all 5 of us. We had the view of the sea which I had personally wanted, but had not requested! There was also air conditioning in the lounge and satellite TV. Upstairs we had a massive bathroom that was bigger than the bedrooms, and included a shower cubicle, which was kind of broken, but I just held the shower head instead. There was a double sink, a bath which also had a shower in it, a bidet and of course a toilet! The master bedroom had a double bed and we took the fold out bed from the lounge up to the bedroom and there was still plenty of space and the twin bedroom was a brilliant size as well! The grounds of the hotel were also lovely and had a good sized pool, with not very many sunbeds, but we were always able to find 5, so can't complain there, and also a baby pool. There was a games room too, which we never used. The WiFi was only a euro per hour, which ran on for like an hour and a half. The hotel restaurant was reasonably priced, but we only ate there once for lunch. The staff were lovely and very helpful. Overall a brilliant stay and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Room 213 had a view of the sea!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Apartamentos Jardins da Rocha
Apartamentos Jardins da Rocha
#7 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Flor da Rocha - Apartamentos Turisticos
Flor da Rocha - Apartamentos Tur...
#10 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Jupiter Algarve Hotel
Jupiter Algarve Hotel
#2 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Tivoli Marina Portimao
Tivoli Marina Portimao
#6 of 75 in Portimao

Been to Plaza Real Atlantichotels? Share your experiences!