“dirty hole stay away”

Apartamentos Clube dos Arcos
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
Reviewed 29 June 2011

dirty disgusting apartments, bed filthy, bathroom filthy infact every thing filthy.
stay away you have been warned.....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank bernie1878

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Like most people i was a bit unsure about this hotel after reading the previous reviews and i suppose some of them did put us off a bit, yes it does need a wee bit spent on it but we found that the outside needed a face lift and new beds around the pool area although i can say that the pool itself was cleaned every morning at 7am prompt and even if it is a bit tired it was perfectly clean. The apartments themselves were perfectly adequate with towel changed 3 times a week and bedding changed once a week, We were in a one bedroom apartment with a good size bedroom . We had two balconies which was great as we always had a choice of sun or shade. The living room / kitchen area was of a good size as well with a fridge / freezer a 4 ring hob and plenty pots & pans we also asked for a kettle and toaster and cork screw which we got with no bother so all in all the only real problem with the apartments is that time has caught up with them a bit which i think is reflected in the price
The location is perfect with all shops bars and beech within 3/4 Min's walk .and the prices are reasonable in the bars and cafes, We also found that there were only small supermarkets around the area which were a bit dearer so we walked to the large Continente shopping centre (20 min walk) and done a big shop had a coffee and a pastry and a Taxi back(5 euro) and filled the large fridge . So remember what you are paying for these apartments and you wont be disappointed , we had a good two week holiday at a very good price and would have no worries if we were to go back at a future date.P.S look out for Bar Tac'a 1euro a pint or a glass of wine and a great snack menu at very good prices

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jimmy89
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I chose this hotel because it was cheap it cost me £71 for two for 4 nights sc. I read the reviews before booking and the only bad things I found was that the hotel was dated and had a dodgy lift.

When we arrived the hallways did look a bit like something from the shining but the dated factor doesn't bother me in the slightest, at the end of the day its a place to stay and I don't go on holiday to spend my time looking at hotel decor.

Staff were polite, checked us in easily. Room consisted of 3 seperate rooms, bathroom, which was decent but if more than one of you wanting a shower in the evening water tends to cool down and then go cold during second shower, bedroom had two single beds and plenty of wardrobe space, beds aren't too comfy but think I only noticed as I'm pregnant, and seperate room with kitchen facilites (fridge, hob, sink and kettle? - basically a metal jug you heat on the stove), there was sofa/bench but sunk a bit when you sat down and didn't feel too steady and dining table with chairs.

Balcony was huge and overlooked pool, pool itself was clean but very cold. After reading reviews on the lift I was a bit wary due to being preganant so only used it to go up and used stairs on way down, did look a bit dodgy but it is an old lift, only thing that put me off was previous reviews and the abrupt bounce when the lift actually stops.

Shops, bars and restaurants are literally 5 minutes walk away, not an awful lot to do though as mainly one strip which after you've walked up and down a few times gets a bit boring, luckily I was only going for a short break in the sunshine but think even a week would have been too long. Beach is gorgeous just down some steps at the front, you can hire deck chairs with a parasol and wind break at 10 euros for two for the whole day.

Food wise I would recomment cathys cafe, its cheap and breakfast is good also there was a place called annes which had a special offer of starter, main, desert and coffee after for about 7 euros pp, nice staff too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank W00DLAND
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Large two bed apt big entrance hall, big b/rooms, 2 large balconies, good sized bathroom and living area with large fridge and cooker top not used so cannot comment on that - cleaned ever day but Sunday.
Breakfast included - big mug tea coffee toast cereal jam butter ham and cheese as much as you want.
Staff bril if need anything just ask will provide quickly
position the best resort is fab
down side dated, some mold in bathroom
if you are looking to stay here my advice would be to book direct with hotel as only £50 per night for 2 bed apt.
advice for swimming pool use one at sister hotel were breakfast is served much nicer

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank sallymouland
Reviewed 26 May 2011

If you're averagely hygienic, have kids, are going during the wet/cool season, or just want to have a hotel which at least reaches the standard of your own home, don't come to this one!

Location - Excellent, literally about 4 minutes walk from the beach, though you can't see the sea from it.

Interior - Utterly dreadful. Dirty, quite small, décor which (like everything else) has clearly not been altered or repaired since the place was built ... a long time ago. Taps come off when you turn them, ovens work but only whilst filling your room with a dreadful electronics-going-wrong smell, there's dirt everywhere that isn't easily accessed by the cleaners (as well as more obvious places) and broken bits (light fittings etc) just don't get fixed.

Staff - Generally unhelpful but I think this was partly to do with the language barrier. Most Portuguese are actually really nice. Staff here, not so friendly. When we needed to find a pharmacy they couldn't be bothered. When we needed them to phone to confirm our airport transfer they charged us a euro for the privilege. Cleaners come in twice a week and miss most of the stuff they ought to clean.

Security - Though we didn't lose anything, it seemed quite clear from the staff's attitude on our arrival that our valuables were not safe loose in our room. Back entrance to the hotel is not staffed and opens directly out onto the street. So your bedroom door is your only security.

Noise - People wise, it was quite quiet. If you don't like traffic, don't stay here. It's on a roundabout with dual carriageways both sides. It didn't bother me but might annoy some people.

Cleanliness - Very, very poor. I will add pictures to illustrate. We had self catering accommodation. Our dishes and cutlery were dirty before we used them, pots and pans the type of thing you'd expect to come across in an African mud hut. No kettle, no toaster. Oven smelt terribly whenever used and required the magical touch of my husband - would never work for me. I am not usually sensitive to detergents and such like but I developed a nasty rash as a reaction to the hotel's linen. Due to the staff's attitude, we didn't feel as if we could ask them to get me fresh linen. I had to spend my nights wrapped in the towels and jackets we had brought as every sheet I touched brought me out in a rash. Cleaners did very little. We passed an old cigarette on our way down the stairs each day.

Amenities - plenty close by but the hotel's own left a lot to be desired. The shops weren't open when we went (April). We used the lift once when we were first showed to our room. Cranky, old, sounds like it could give out any second. We NEVER stepped inside it again - even when we were burning with sunburn and struggling with our cases on the last day! Beds are uncomfortable. Floors tiled & cold.

Pool - Small, largely in the shade most of the day which made it a little too cold. Plastic seating around pool is very dilapidated and some are broken. Just be careful where you sit! Pool looks like it might have been quite prettily tiled at one stage but very uncared-for now. The daily clean of the pool is very minimal (we could watch from our window).

Décor - 70s style, dingy, orange and brown. Not very relaxing. Not very romantic!

They say you get what you pay for and we got our 6 nights in the hotel very cheap indeed. But I would never use the same hotel again nor recommend it . If you have really hot weather and want to be outside all the time to enjoy it, and just crash at night time, it might be OK. But beware, there is no air con!

Don't let that put you off the area. The beach is simply stunning.

Room Tip: Poolside doesn't get much sun, we found.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank portugaleveryyear
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I stayed in 2 studio rooms with my family of 5; my older brother and sister got the biggest and my mum and dad were down the hall. The rooms themselves were very 70's themed but clean. Also I advise anyone who stays in room 809 NOT to use the cooker as our electric cut out every time we did. There was no point anyway as they took 45 minutes to cook chips. The hotel would probably not pass for 3 star. I would say 2 at the highest. It got quite noisy at night and took us a while to get to sleep. The beds were not the comfiest and made a lot of noise when you moved. I am quite a coward so the lifts scared me quite a bit. They were bumpy and made a lot of noise. When we first got there one of the three wasn't working which made me wonder why. You can have a maximum of 4 people in them but you could only fit 2 and one time the lights went out when we were in one, SCARY! Ok enough with the negatives. The people in reception were very kind and helpful and the cleaners came every other day (I think). The little bar downstairs had a pool table which entertained us while we were waiting for tea to be ready. The beach was just up the road and was beautiful as well as the main stretch of clubs, hotels, casinos, bars, restaurants, etc. One thing I would not advise is going to Zoo Marine. The 30 Euro tickets each are not worth it. Save your money and go to Slide and Splash.
I would not recommend people going to this hotel unless you are going to be out most of the time because the surrounding hotels are like 5 star compared to this one.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The Dos Arcos.

Day one

Arrival at the hotel (dropped off at the rear of the hotel) no indication from our driver exactly where the hotel was, looked like we had been dropped off at a building site, very rough looking. We was shown where the hotel was and made our way into the Reception area. Check in was very easy although our request for a low level room was brushed under the carpet and was given a room on the 4th floor (9 floors). Check in was easy and the staff on the desk very friendly.

We made our way in the lift which was a very odd experience, an old style lift which seemed to be rickety and shuddery. It gets to the level stops then drops slightly, a little scary to start with but fine when you know what to expect. We found our room, (409) we struggled to open our door due to the very odd looking key, but after some fiddling we managed to get in!

The door opened to a red tiled floor which was clean and tidy but VERY VERY dated, clean albeit. The lounge area had a kitchen which had limited facilitys and as many others mentioned no kettle but not an issue as we can eat out. The bedroom had 2 single beds in which we pushed together to make a large bed for my wife and I to sleep in. We then wandered into the Bathroom, Bath with shower attatchment and Toilet, beday with the most garish looking tiles reminding me of my nans house when I was younger. White with a vile Blue pattern on, as mentioned before this is one very DATED Hotel. (see pics) There is a TV but only 2 viewable channels both in Portugese.
We made our way towards the doors to find metal shutters on the exterior, so we found how to open them and up opened a double balcony with the same red tiles as inside, with a nice table and chairs to look over the resort and at the stunning new hotel opposite.

Beds
After our first night of little sleep due to the annoying noisy beds (everytime you turn in the bed it sounded like you were jumping on the bed) almost the sound of a comedy from the 60's where you turn over and hear twanging and pinging from the bed springs. A KNIGHTMARE, but bearable for that first night.

For the 2nd night we mastered the pull out sofabed style contraption in the lounge and made that up, not the most comfortable once again but bearable for the remainder of our holiday. (7 nights)

We took a walk out to the Bar onsite to find it very friendly the lady there is an absolute gem and is so friendly and helpful and is always happy to take a beer to your room or offer you advice etc..

Swimming Pool...

100% SHOCKING - I would not go into this filthy, vile looking pool if someone paid me, it really is vile. Black bits floating around the bottom, painwork/lining of the pool has been ripped and exposing tiles underneath, tatty, dirty HEALTH RISK! Needless to say we did not use the pool. ( see pics)

Maintenance

We had a bulb go in the room and this was reported to reception, they fixed it straight away (within 5 mins of reporting it) we also had a slight issue with the hot water which was also fixed in super quick time! A1 to their maintenance team!

Location Location Location...

The hotel is actually in a perfect location, it was 5 mins walk to the strip and the beach which is very useful but watch any little ones as the road you have to cross is very busy, plenty of zebra style crossings to use, the cars do actually stop for you!!

Cleaners

We stayed for 7 days and they cleaned the room the day after we arrived and the day before we left!! they did not clean the balcony area or did they clean the bathroom and kitchen area but we done it ourselves so not a major issue.

The local area (Cafes/Bars)

We can highly reccomend....

Kathys Cafe on the strip on the left hand side which is amazing value and the greatest Breakfast we had during our stay and Kathy is a star, helpful, friendly and the best service! (full english breakfast 4 euros)

Taffys Bar - Steve (Taffy) runs this bar, which if you hadnt guessed, is Welsh... Friendly and a great laugh, worth a trip to listen to Steves storys!! Ian also works at the bar (usually the evenings) and is the host to the Pub Quizzes, endless banter and fun fun fun!!

WIFI - NO WIFI at the hotel, but there is FREE wifi at Taffys Bar and the On the rocks bar on the strip...
There are so many others that I need to tell you about but will get individual reviews done shortly...

Would I return to the Dos Arcos... MAYBE, but would rather pay the extra for a little more comfort...

I hope this review helps make your decision..

Dan

Room Tip: All rooms had good views!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
#3 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Plaza Real Atlantichotels
Plaza Real Atlantichotels
#6 of 20 in Praia da Rocha

Been to Apartamentos Clube dos Arcos? Share your experiences!