“A wonderful, relaxing break - will go back!”
Review of Vila Rosa Hotel

and 1 more site!
Vila Rosa Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
Wilsden, West Yorkshire
“A wonderful, relaxing break - will go back!”
Reviewed 1 October 2010

My partner and I have just returned from Vila Rosa today. We are in our 30's and have been fortunate to have experienced some wonderful holidays, so can be a tad fussy. As we had already spent a lot of money on our earlier summer holiday we were travelling on a budget and only chose to go away again due to the fact that this holiday was so cheap and also came highly recommended.

We paid just under £400 for flights and accommodation for one week - amazing!. We went not really expecting much due to the price we paid but we were pleasantly surprised. Firstly the weather was fabulous, hot with a lovely constant breeze. I am soft and feel the cold and thought it was freezing on an evening. Even my partner shivered a few times and we were well wrapped up. We have arrived back this evening, very sad to leave it all behind. I would definitely return, tomorrow if I could. This place is a wonderful find and would highly recommend it.

The hotel was recommend by my partners parents who travel 10+ times per year and have been there 4 times. Experienced travellers recommendation cant be far wrong.

We flew with Ryanair - what a performance that was - delays, terrible service and more delays. Once finally in Faro we queued for over two hours and had to wait in a mile long queue to be told where our transfer coach was. One man dealt with every passenger??? madness!!

Once finally on the coach, which was modern and air-conditioned the transfer took over an hour and we were the very last to get dropped off. It was 2.30am ( we arrived in Leeds airport at 3.30pm to fly at 4.30pm and the flight was only 21/2 hour long - so you can see we had a lot of waiting around) - we were waiting around for 8+ hours.

We were shown to our room by a mute man who I can only presume was very tired like us, and he never offered any help or even a smile. The room was really tired and dated and had a uncomfortable feel to it but we thought for the money we paid we will have to put up with it. Anyway the next day, it felt worst - it was small and dark so we asked to be moved as we could not bare to be in the room for any length of time. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful - particularly Tania and Sonia. We were offered a superior room for £150 for the remainder of the week. The superior rooms are so much nicer with a small garden over looking the pool but we did not want to spend that much so we asked for an alternative and we were given, for no extra, room 403, lotte 4 - it was so much better. Though very dated and basic it was fantastic compared to the other one and it has a huge balcony. The view was not that spectacular but with the sun and long distance views it was more than enough. The room was on the top floor next to the lift. The lobby area was lovely and light sensors were activated once you entered. The lift was perfect and did not disturb us as first thought.

The room was huge. Small kitchen (no oven) but everything else. Table and chairs. Sofa Bed and chair. The TV was a small naf portable and we could only get BBC1 but it had a perfect picture and was fit for purpose. The bathroom, only a tad tired was clean and always had hot water. Both a shower and a bath and clean fluffy towels were provided every day and the apartment was kept spotlessly clean daily.

The beds are not that comfy and no double beds, two singles. There are extra pillows and blankets. But again we soon got used to it (and I am a bit fussy) . A huge wardrobe and a patio door onto the balcony. It was bliss once you got past the dated decor. Light and airy and huge. 2 further patio doors in the lounge area.

You need to take a hair dryer and a iron if you are staying in the standard room - if you are lucky enough to get a superior room then I noticed that they provided an iron, ironing board and hairdryer - also the superior room has an oven. It was much more equipped and modern.

The pool area was lovely and compact and peaceful. The pool water was like ice and only the brave dare enter. It was so relaxing with only a few couples scattered around the pool. So tranquil. The majority of people staying they were over 50 with a odd few young couples with young children.

The hotel is in a great base and only 10 min walk to main strip and the glorious beach. The main strip is a bit tacky and very expensive. The Irish Bar on the corner did the most enjoyable breakfast and fresh orange. It was not cheap at 6 euros for the breakfast and 3 for the orange, not far off £20 for breakfast is a bit steep but it was nice and it over looks the sea and the service was second to none.

The beach was lovely, there is a charge 10 euros for two plastic sun beds so we decided to do what the locals do and lie on our towels and it was perfect. We even had a picnic which again, was surprisingly enjoyable. The walk along the beach is so lovely and if you follow the decked path to the end it brings you out to a more cosmopolitan marina and restaurant area. Sadly we only found this late on our last night.

There is a great bus service, surprisingly expensive but again you can over look this when travelling in comfort. We travelled to Alvor which was a 15 min bus ride and I am told you can walk there across the beach front but it was too far for me. The bus fare was for 7 euros for 2 one way - we ended up getting a cab back which was 9 euros. Alvor was a quaint village with some lovely restaurants and buildings. Well worth a visit, again more cosmopolitan. Lots of fresh fish for the fish lovers. A lovely place to stay. I had a curry, my partner did not fancy one - I thought it was a bit steep - ½ bottle of house white wine, 1 curry , rice and nan bread £26 and the restaurant was very tired and it was just ok - we were tricked in there by a very friendly Indian man who told us it had a lovely sea view - we actually saw a brick wall with graffiti on but it did amuse us.

Alberfuria was 1 hour bus ride, 17 euros return for two. Once a the bus station there is a 15 min walk to the beach front. This was the old town. This was just ok - the beach was not as nice and the shops were pretty much the same, expensive and tacky but slightly cheaper that Praira but I am told it is really nice so there must have been parts that we did not get to see. You can catch a funny looking blue bus that looks like a childs train to the new town and main strip which we were told is more for young people.

Portamao is a 30 minute walk from the hotel and it is a lovely walk along the marina and well worth a visit. Take the steps by the pink entrance and turn left, then left again and you can either bare left of continue straight on across the round about.

The main strip in Praira is a bit tacky and the restaurants weren’t that great - the best one being the Chinese call Asia - the service and food here was brilliant.

If you are still reading this, I will be surprised lol. If you have any questions feel free to ask. It was my first visit to Portugal and will definitely be returning for more adventures - it would have been even better if we had of hired a car and the roads look so easy to drive along. Well sign posted but you are fine on foot and on the bus. Enjoy!!!!

If you are going soon - we were told it stays warm/ hot, through the day up to November.

2 Thank Lorraine4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
lancashire
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Just returned from 10 days at vila rosa the weather was perfect the whole time we stayed in lote 4 our apartment was large for the 2 of us but was very clean well stocked kitchen ( pots and pans cutlery toaster 4 ring hob kettle microwave ) everything you need for quick meals table and chairs settee and chair tv with bbc no charge nice bathroom and seperate bedroom plenty of storage space large balcony with table and 2 chairs mixed view could have been better no air con but patio doors all have shutters that worked very well pulling them down ment you could keep the doors open even at night there are plenty of parking spaces under the apartments if you have a car vila rosa has 2 pools that are set amongst nice gardens both have pool bars one serves food all day at a good price it is about 10 mins walk to shops and the beach a little bit hilly but not to bad very nice clean beach looks very child friendy but it is down steps once down there are board walks and plenty of beach bars and shaded areas all in all had a good holiday and would go back

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Just back from 10 days at villa rossa and it was absolutely fabulous. As I was approaching 6 mths pregnant coming up to trip, I made a request to have a 1st floor apartment, and when I arrived they had done this and given us one with extra space and air conditioning as I was pregnant....
it was near the small pool and overlooked the gorgeously maintained gardens...
the girls in reception, especially nadia and fatima were so helpful and gave me advice where to go where there was less steps to beach ect..
there was seagulls but as someone said its beside the sea. thats hardly a complaint!
we did hear dogs barking every now and then in the distance but never to the level to keep one awake where we were.
the cleaners came very day and did a fabulous job.
In fact, the whole place was kept amazingly spotless and security at night made sure one had a peaceful nights sleep.
the town is about 10mins walk downhill and then a small hill to reach the main stretch.
the food in the bar is really lovely and very reasonable, and takeaways to your apt can be got until 11.00pm at night.
For bigger shops, I would recommend Continente, 5 mins in cab but long walk in heat. Costs €4.00 in cab, which is well worth it.
We had a lovely relaxing peaceful holiday, which was based mainly on staying in this lovely hotel. Would recommend to all age groups.

Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 4 September 2010

You get what you pay for and at the Vila Rosa, if you pay that weee bit extra, you get that.
We had no problems with dogs, seagulls(it is beside the sea, what do expect !!!) or anything else, in fact i would go as far to say, i never had such a relaxing holiday, ever and if i didn't relax, it was due to my 6 year old son who thought he was 16!!!, it wasn't down to the Hotel to look after him. I read everything on Trip Adviser before i went and now i wish i hadn't, cos all i did was worry for a fortnight before i went, FOR NOTHING!!!!
I cant wait to book it again for next year, thank you Vila Rosa xx

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed in a 2 bed timeshare apartment right next to the smaller pool. The buildings are a little old in style but immaculately clean inside. Lots of space. Air conditioning in lounge and bedrooms. (You do pay for electricity at the end of stay - ours was 20e for 1 week) The smaller pool was right outside the door and we only used this one as the other one was louder and busier. It had its own pool bar which was very well run. Very good sun loungers and umbrellas.

It is about a 10 min stroll to the 'strip' where you will find the beach and numerous bars and restaurants. It is a little hilly but not too steep as long as you are reasonablly fit. You do not need a car to get about in the resort and a taxi to next town or hypermarket was about 5e each way.

All the staff at Vila Rosa are very helpful and polite and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Manchester
Reviewed 11 July 2010

After holidaying in Albufeira for the few years previous we decided to try Praia da Rocha. Vila Rosa is a lovely hotel, we stayed in a self catering apartment by the small pool which is much more peaceful than the large pool. The staff were extremely friendly and remembered us from the previous year. There are closer hotels to the main street in Praia da Rocha but its only about five minutes walk.Take time to walk to the end of the main strip where you'll find a beautiful quiet beach , the new marina and beautiful restaurants. Couldn't recommend it more...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We've just arrived home from a two week stay in VilaRosa on the Algarve and I've got to say it was the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in and I'll definitely be booking another holiday for next year. As I'm sure everybody else did I checked reviews before I went and I was slightly concerned about comments made about dogs barking constantly and how it was the luck of the draw which 'lote' you stayed in. I'm glad I didn't take any notice, heard dogs barking a couple of times but they certainly didnt interrupt my holiday. Members of my group had a one bedroomed apartment facing the residential area with th dogs and it certainly wasn't a problem for them. We stayed in a studio in the main building, with a lovely view of the pool. The room was a good size, cooking facilities quite basic but it suited us fine. The room itself was spotless and was cleaned almost everyday we were there. The pool was fantastic, great size, good layout and very clean. Grounds of the hotel were lovely, well maintained and lovely to explore. During our two weeks there was a number of sport and other fun activities which was great for my 10 year old nephew, all were free and it helped create a lovely atmosphere between everybody at the hotel. The hotel and staff were very family friendly, everybody made a fuss of my daughter and were very helpful with requests we had concerning food for her and anything else we needed. All of the staff at the VilaRosa were lovely, very friendly, very helpful and very welcoming, everybody seemed very genuine, especially Elias. I travelled with my 18 month old daughter and found them very accomodating for my needs. There was a mix up on check in and the cot I'd requested was in another room, they spologised profusely and the cot was in my room within the hour. Location of the grounds was fantastic, about 20 minute walk away from the beach and main strip, bit of a steep hill but don't let it put you off. The only setback I had was accessibility for our pram, lots of stairs. But this wasn't just in the hotel it was the same outside on the walk to the strip, so it wasn't a fault with the hotel and it definitely wouldn't stop me from holidaying here next year!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family