“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I got a VERY good deal for this hotel so wasn't expecting too much, but was very pleasantly surprised. I had sea views and a double room with bar fridge and free use of the in-room safe.

I thought breakfast was to be charged at 4 euros a day but it turns out that was complimentary too. Nothing flash there, but it's still a free breakfast!!

It's not located right in the thick of the main street, but I see that as a positive thing. It's only a quick stroll down there though.

Downsides: there's no pool. I went at the end of the high season so wasn't too worried about this. I'm sure there's access to other pools if you're grabbing a drink or something there. Perhaps the Hotel Algarve across the road.
: they play music in the corridors. While this isn't booming like a night club or anything I'm a very light sleeper so could still hear it. I did mention it to the staff on checking out so hopefully they'll adjust it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Michelle-a-roo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
southampton
Reviewed 13 October 2009

just got back from a 3 night stay at the Santa Catarina and you can't really fault this place. Great seaviews, large wardrobe, safe provided for no extra charge. Mini bar charged 1E for water and 2E for a soft drink, but you can take these out and put your own drinks in (enough room for about 3-4 big bottles).
Breakfast was charged at 3.50E each per day if we pre-booked for the full 3 days, otherwise it was a 4.50 on the day price. As we were on a budget we chose to pre-book and you can't really complain about the food; frankfurter sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs and toast were the hot items, amongst various cereals and fruit.
This hotel is far enough from the main strip of hotels and pubs for it not to be noisy at night, but it only takes a couple of minutes and you are suddenly surrounded by neon lights, boards advertising "english breakfast" and shops selling lilos, bucket and spades and other touristy things. This is not normally my cup of tea, but it wasn't rowdy like I thought it would be, and I actually quite enjoyed it, but had we of gone during the peak summer months I probably would have had a nervous breakdown as I like somewhere away from randy teenagers, but lively enough that you aren't bored silly!
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, they spoke English very well, and when we first arrived at 11am they apologised that our room was not ready but put our bags for storage and said it would be ready within an hour. We used this as a chance to have a walk around. There is a small supermarket to the left of the hotel, but we found one in the main part of the "strip" that sold large bottles of water for 35 cents.
Only downside for me was that the beds were quite hard, but there are plenty of blankets to pad it out. My husband wasn't bothered by the beds. Some people may be put off as there is no pool, but the beach is across the road, and it is such a fantastic one, you can walk along for miles as there are tunnels through the rocks to get to the other side.
Oh, decent shower too, not one of those dribbly things! I would definitley recommend this hotel.
and a casino across the road!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jimilia
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We got a relatively cheap deal with Easyjet and were pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

The rooms are spacious with plenty of storage space and were very, very clean. Maid service was frequent with towels changed each day. We had a sea view and balcony which was fabulous. Mini bar is big enough to use as a small fridge so you can buy your own alcohol, juice and water but the mini bar prices were reasonable.

Breakfast was typical of hotels in the Algarve: hot food (hot dog sausages, bacon and scrambled egg), cereals, breads, cold meat, cheese, yoghurt and fruit. The staff member was sometimes slow to replenish some foods but he was working most days on his own. We had no problems with any of the staff within the hotel.

The hotel doesn't have a pool but it is right across the road from the stunning beach (although steps to the beach are steep so maybe not suitable for elderly or young families).

I would definitely stay in this hotel again especially since it appears to be a lot cheaper than most of the hotels in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Herfordshire
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I am a single female and travelled with my mum for a 9 night holiday in September 2009. The hotel is well situated right opposite the fantastic beach, although access to the beach is down cobbled steep steps so therefore would not be suitable for disabled or elderly people. The hotel is exceptionally clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant is welcoming and offers a varied menu although it is somewhat limited for vegetarians. The hotel is on the main strip of bars shops and a couple of nightclubs but if you are a young person looking for all night clubbing and action this resort is more suited to older people and families looking for a relaxing holiday. The hotel is directly opposite to a casino which is free to enter if you fancy a flutter! It also allows people to smoke inside. The weather was fantastic, sunny skies and temperatures averaging in the 80's with a lovely sea breeze. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone but, please be warned this is a non smoking hotel which is certainly not mentioned on the website. I would definitely return to this hotel for another holiday. Although the hotel does not have a bar or a swimming pool this is not a drawback as it is right opposite the beach and the bars and restaurants are literally outside the door. Overall much more like a four star hotel. Fantastic!

• Stayed September 2009
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We got hold of a fantastic offer from hotelconnect.com for this hotel - 10 pounds per room per night and we booked 3 double rooms for 7 days, and yes this only costed us 210 pounds in total. The hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. Breafbast is not included but only 4 euros per person per day with good choice of hot and cold food. The beach is just a 5 mins walk away. Praia da Rocha was reasonably quiet at the beginning of June but we were not disappointed with the trip. We've even made two day trips to Lisbon and Seville. Would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Hongwei Z
Lancs. England
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Stayed with 4 other females as a cheap girly holiday in May 2008 and loved it!
Went back in July 2008 for another week with my husband.

Going back in September 2009 with family party of 6.

The hotel is very very clean! The beach is the best I have ever seen, and I have been to Kenya, Australia, Dominican, Canada.

This is the best place to stay in the area for cost and location.

Also I love a little flutter and it is across the road from the Casino. If you play poker like me or the tables, you have to pay a fee to enter the gaming room, this is not a Casino rule but a law of Portugal. You can go to the slot machine room free and it is huge compared to British ones. Lucky me I won £1000 last holiday. I love Praia da Rocha and the Santa Caterina Hotel and will recommend them both to anyone who will listen.

PS I know the Hotel has no pool but the sea and beautiful beach are just across the road.

• Liked — The location and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — I can honestly say nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds England
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We booked this hotel on [--] and have just returned from 10 days in the Algarve.

We can honestly say that the hotel was the best value for money hotel we have stayed in.

The hotel is German owned and the staff all Portugese were very polite courteous and really couldn't do enough for the customers. The hotel itself is spotless and clean, with rooms being cleaned and bedding and towels changed every day.

We booked in for bed and breakfast and although the cooked breakfast wasn't too much to our liking (frankfurters and scrambled egg and bacon all together) there was always a wide selection of fresh fruit, cerals, bread, ham cheese etc available.

Although on the 'strip' of Praia De Rocha the Hotel is away from the crowds and although only a 5 minute walk from all the bars, pubs etc was really quiet.

It is ideally located for travel into Portimao by the very frequent shuttle buses which stop across the road from the hotel.

The only thing I missed in the hotel was a swimming pool but the sea is only 60 metres away - and although the beaches at Praia De Rocha are down a cliff there is plenty to do when you get down there, including several reasonably priced cafe bars and they are well worth the climb -either by steps or by ramp, back up again as the beaches are golden sand. There are sun beds etc and also water sports for those who wish to try the jet skis pedalos, etc.

I have no hesitation in highly recommending this hotel. We travel all over the place and as already stated we believe this hotel was the best value for money hotel we have stayed in.

Stayed August 2007