“Nice 3 storey bed and breakfast hotel with a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel VilAzul

Hotel VilAzul
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ericeira
Hotel VilAzul
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Ericeira
Toronto
“Nice 3 storey bed and breakfast hotel with a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Cant beat this little gem for its location, a few minutes walk downhill and you are right front and central to the beach area, go uphill a street and you are in the heart of Ericeira's shopping district with hundreds of little stores and taverns. food is great in this town and we felt really safe walking around even in the evening. Owners were very hospitable but we found that the older wife of the senior owner was not very good with customers. Think this was just a language barrier though, her husband and son were very fluid in English and their service was wonderful.

Room Tip: Just got back from 10 days in Portugal, spent 2 days in this lovely quaint 3 story guest bed and bre...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank maybeme1

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We checked out, The owners gave us a ring saying we had left without paying, dispite us having said we are checking out, handed over room keys and asked if there was anything else we needed to do.

They told us we could not pay over the phone or the internet and we had to go back to the hotel. We traveled back to the hotel a long way. The owner proceeded to shout at me. She said that We should have left the Pin number for our Visa card! She did not know how to operate her own transaction machine and wanted our personal information she was not intitled too. Very incompetent. Her attitude was not calm or professional. We had to go out of our way because she wanted to bring us back to the hotel, despite having the means at her disposal to sort out the situation.

Her husband tried to intervine, lieing and blaming us again. We gave up, paid and left without any compencation for their incompetence.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ricardo S
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in hotel Vilazul in Ericeira. The rooms are basic and clean, the hospitality great and the relation between price and quality of the food very good. We enjoyed our meals, they were of excellent taste. We also had some typical Portugese dishes that were not on the menu. If you ask one day beforehand, they are willing to prepare anything you like. The wifi was good, there is a terrace and the centre is nearby. Furthermore there is airco and specially the shower I apppreciated, the pressure of the water is great. We'll definately go back. Ericeira is not far from Lisbon, Sintra, Mafra, so there's plenty to see.

Marlies Philippa and Rita Selle

Room Tip: On the third floor you get a small private terrace, on the second the rooms are bigger and you can m...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed at hotel VilAzul and had a wonderful stay! Very well run and clean. Had an ocean view too! The owners were very very nice and had a lot of charm! We checked out a handful of hotels upon our arrival and we definitely made the right choice. Very affordable too.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Whistler, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

We booked this hotel as it advertised free-wifi, which was importnat to me, as the reason I was in Europe was for a family emergency. Thus, I needed to be able to check my email as often as possible for updates.

When we got there, the wi-fi did not work in our room, as well the toilet seat was broken and half the lights didn't work. We went to the desk and asked about this, and was told that we would be able to switch rooms in the morning, but I noticed the girl didn't write anything down regarding this discussion. So, I asked her about that and she responded "I will remember, don't worry!" in a friendly manner.

The next morning we packed, went to the desk and the girl seemed to have no memory of what was discussed and gave the room away to another customer...and acted as though she had never promised us that she would switch the rooms.

So, we contacted the company that booked us this hotel and explained to them what had happened, only to find out an hour later that we were to leave the hotel by 12. The owner was extremely rude, and raised his voice at us, stating "if you're not happy, then I do not want unhappy people here, please leave by noon."

We did get a full refund back, but it was embarassing, and humiliating the way we were spoken to, and the girl behind the desk...who promised us that new room said nothing, sat back and watched us be treated this way.

I do NOT recommend this hotel, it has false advertising, the rooms were small and the beds were very hard, However, the view from the terrace was beautiful.

It was a blessing in disquise as we found the most amazing boutique hotel as a result to stay in!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank lilmissmonty
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I chose this hotel because the price was right and the reviews were, for the most part, very good. Having now stayed there, I find the good reviews quite surprising and advise that you read every single review and take into strong consideration the poor reviews, because if I had read the poor reviews properly and what happened to those people, I would not have chosen this hotel. We had a TERRIBLE experience.

Upon arrival we soon discovered that the wifi didn't work in our room. Wifi had been one of the key factors in our hotel choice due to needing to stay in touch with a sick family member and for work purposes. We asked the receptionist about it and whether there was a problem. She told us that despite what it says on the website, the wifi actually doesn't reach every single room but that she would be willing to move us to a different room the next day. She did not write this down and when questioned about whether she should write it, she said she would remember and that it would be ok. I got the impression that she had received wifi complaints about this particular room before. There was no surprise on her face at all.

Later that day we came back and asked if they knew which room we would move to, the gentleman on the desk said he knew nothing about this move and that the receptionist was 'young' and knew no better. Again, we brought up the lack of working wifi and the fact that the website advertised it. He rudely told us that we should be grateful that wifi was free and that we were welcome to sit in the hallway to use the internet! I said this wasn't a great solution as I'm sure people in neighbouring rooms wouldn't appreciate someone conducting business outside their room during the night. He just shrugged and walked away!

We weren't really too sure what to do the next morning as one person had told us we would move rooms and the other not, so we packed our bags just in case and headed down for breakfast. After breakfast we asked what was happening and were told they had taken more bookings and we couldn't move - we would just have to deal with it! I had also mentioned to the receptionist that the toilet seat was falling off and that we had discovered that the main light in our room did not work. I said that they could fix this at any point during the day as we would be out all day so it wasn't too urgent.

I did decide however that I would call my travel agent in the UK. The customer service was abysmal and they didn't seem to want to help with anything. He didn't answer the phone but I sent a quick email outlining the problems we had encountered thus far and left it with him.

A few minutes later, a member of staff came to our door and said they were willing to move the wifi router to see if that would help which seemed like a good compromise to me. The wifi started to work by the door of our room, not ideal but better than having to go upstairs and sit outside somebody else's bedroom to work!

About 20 minutes later, we were ready to leave for the day and as we were leaving, the older gentleman (I'm fairly certain he was called Luis) shouted after us and asked us to come to the desk. He stood behind the desk and starting shouting at us instantly 'you aren't happy with your room and I don't like my guests to be unhappy so you should leave! I will refund you.' I asked if we had a choice in this matter and said that I was happy with the internet solution. He said no, I had sent a nasty email to my travel agent and that it would be best for all parties that we leave. It turned out that my agent had forwarded the email to try to assist us but this nasty man decided that rather than try to rescue the situation, he would just get rid of it. I would be happy to forward my 'nasty email' sent to my agent to anybody interested. It was certainly not a 'nasty email.'

We decided that this agressive behaviour was definitely not worth dealing with so left right away and didn't fight for it. I spoke to my agent a couple of times during the day as were were pretty much out on the streets and needed somewhere else to stay. Luis had told him that he had not asked us to leave and that we had left on our own accord. I can definitely tell you that we did not leave on our own accord. We were kicked out of the hotel. The man tells lies as well as shouts at his guests! What a great start to our holiday.

We did eventually find a new place to stay. We also discovered, after speaking to locals in various establishments, that Luis is a piece of work and our story was not the first time this had happened. I would recommend that you avoid this place at all costs. If the price is right for you then go in with an open mind and don't expect anything more than a tiny little bed, no working lights, a grumpy hotel manager and some stale bread along with warm ham and cheese for breakfast. Oh and the wifi only works in *some* rooms despite the advertising on the website.

I will also mention that prior to any of this happening, we had asked for suggestions about where to go in Ericeira, what to do, which the good surfing beaches were etc. The girl waved vaguely out of the window and said it was a 35 minute walk to the beach and they didn't have any maps. What about rentals, restaurants etc? The response was 'the shops are good if you ask in them!' We weren't given any maps or useful information at all. I'm really confused about who the other reviewers were talking to in order to be given such useful information about the town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank snow_junkie
Spånga, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We found this hotel in the travel guide "Eyewitness Travel Portugal" The book said spotless and very well maintained. Being a carpenter I can see that this is absolutely true. The staff and owners made us feel very welcome. We extended our stay in Ericeira and Portugal because the hotel was so very pleasant and comfortable. The breakfast was included and it went far beyond 'continental' We strongly recommend this hotel. If you wonder why we gave it a middle rating for Sleep Quality it was not because of the beds or the room but it is somewhat noisy sometimes on the street below.

Room Tip: I would select a room in the back of the hotel as it will most likely be much more quite.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ericeira
Vila Gale Ericeira
InterContinental Estoril
Laneez Ericeira
Laneez Ericeira
#5 of 55 in Ericeira

Been to Hotel VilAzul? Share your experiences!