“Good hotel... A little disappointing”
Review of Hostal Apolo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Hostal Apolo
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Good hotel... A little disappointing”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Me and my three friends got there around midday and checked in at reception pretty much straight away. We knew that you have to pay a deposit of 50 euros as soon as you check in but they only have a small sign on the back wall to remind you. The rep got us all in one room and started telling us all about the events that 18-30 provided for the week. We already knew we wanted to do a few things by ourselves such as Avicii, Calvin Harris and Sebastian Ingrosso but we agreed to do two of the 18-30 events. Harriet (the rep) wasn't too pushy which was good and she was lovely too.

We chose to go on the sunset cruise which was amazing! Definitely recommend that. We also chose to do Candy, which is set in an abandoned zoo. When the day came for Candy it had been raining all day so when we got to the pre-party the reps told us that Candy had been cancelled and that they would reschedule it to the next day. We were told the next day that it had been cancelled again and they had decided to have a 2 hour, 1 euro drink event at a bar on the west end which i thought was a ridiculous comparison to a 30 euro event we had originally paid for, so decided not to go and complained to our rep Emma Jane, but she told us there was nothing the manager could do.

The hotel was lovely and clean, the staff were really friendly and the pool was a decent size. The rooms were clean too. We asked for the top floor as it has air conditioning however we got the first floor instead. We were directly in line with the roof of the bar, and we noticed that people from the floors above us kept chucking kebabs, tabs, bottles etc. onto the roof. next to our balcony. The mess got so bad we complained to our other rep Blair and she got the cleaners out there straight away.

All in all, great hotel, friendly staff and reasonably priced food and drink. Hotel Apolo is a good place to stay but i have been put off by the whole 18-30 experience so will be choosing somewhere else next year.

Room Tip: Try and ask for the top floor if you can as it has air conditioning.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel was great clean and basic, great atmosphere round the pool all staff are very heplful the only time you see the reps is your welcome meeting when u first arrive then the odd time round the pool, about ten min walk to the west end so not that far. hotel really cheap an very nice food me an my mates had a great time and I would deffinitley stay there again, you do pay 50euro deposit and you do get it back when you check out I had a grat time hope you who's going too has a ball.... Ibiza 2013 amazing!!!!

Room Tip: Request top floor balcony with a pool view best rooms as they all have air con and a nice view noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Rooms are very basic but if you're anything like us it'll be covered in cosmetics and clothes and wet towels! they cleaned up some horrendous messes broken bottle etc The hotel is clean enough, but not to Kim & Agy standard! there was no air con in our rooms but to be fair we were never in there! the bar staff are polite but firm and the food is basic burgers etc but when you're that hungover that's all you want! Its a good 15/20 min walk to west end but there's a garage on the way so grab some San Miguels and time will fly! It's in a residential area so its quiet and you will get told off by the night staff if you're too loud/wild which was every night for us! The pool is really clean and quite big compared to some of the other 18-30 hotels in Ibiza! but put your towels down early if you want a lounger! if you don't get a room with a pool view don't panic your rooms will be a lot cooler which was a blessing in the end! The reps are ace (Blair) we got into a pickle with our lamp burning our blackout curtain and lost our deposit they wanted more money from us which was extortion (€150) so be messy but just don't trash the room because they will get you for it! Apart from that I had an amazing week met some awesome people and can't wait to see you all in 2014.

Room Tip: If you don't get a room with a pool view don't panic your rooms will be a lot cooler/quieter...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Eastleigh, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have been to Hotel Apolo for the past two years and have really enjoyed my stay! I would definitely go back there again, the bar staff are extremely friendly, the reps working there are ace and the hotel is very clean. Ignore the bad reviews, if the hotel was that bad i would not have gone there twice!!!

Room Tip: Higher up with pool view as the lower rooms are hotter!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Myself and a group of friends stayed here in August 2013 and WILL NOT be returning to the Apolo. It's such a shame as the hotel itself is clean and basic and the staff were really helpful but one of the reps just about ruined our holiday.

As you will read in countless other reviews on here, as soon as you arrive after travelling for ages you are accosted by a rep trying to flog activities for the week ahead. First negative - she burst in my friends room while she had only underwear on and proceeded to sit down on the bed and say "ooh already stripping off are we?!" - its not a Carry On film, we found this so inappropriate but preceded to have our 'initial meeting'. We were shattered and just expected hotel rules and regs but she went on to tell us everything Club 18-30 had on that week. We explained that we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted to do (I.e visit some of the main clubs,sunset at mambos, avicii and Sebastian ingrosso and alesso). The rep scoffed and said "Ibiza virgins" always come with an idea and leave disappointed cos they don't what they're on about which made us feel a bit stupid and why would we doubt our lovely rep? We stupidly booked stuff with her due to a combo of tiredness And ignorance. This turned out to be a waste of €150 – an escorted walk to the strip which was only 10 minutes away And entry into bars that were free anyway. The big club that she had promised was actually play two on the West End which was free entry and was like something You would find in Blackpool. I could go on but won't bore you basically a lot of things happened and we had launch a complaint with Thomas cook. When our rep was asked for her turn of events, She cornered me in the breakfast room and said "like My manager would ever believe you over me". Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

I absolutely love Ibiza as a place and I will not hesitate to book another holiday there for next year however hotel Apollo was absolutely appalling. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Rant over!

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Just arrived back from a week there and would love to go back. That said there are some minor issues..
When we arrived at 5 in the morning we had to stand outside for 45 minutes to check in they are not organised and it took so long to get everyone through to their rooms. When checking in you have to pay €50 deposit, not a great start so just make sure you do not break anything a girl lost her deposit and had to pay an additional 45€ for a scratch on a chair! When you get in to your room you haven't even had chance to put your case down before there is a rep barging in trying to sell you a weeks worth of activities for €200, stupidly we agreed as it was 5 in the morning and I just wanted to get her out of our room. I would advise everyone that the "bar crawls" are not a free bar they just basically round you all up and escourt you down there kind of like a school trip, also a lot of the activities started very early so I only went on two out of 6, so if I could give you any advice it would be to not buy into any of their rubbish as they don't speak to you again after a couple of days.

The rooms were quite small but sufficient for what is needed, bathroom includes bath and shower but no hair dryer but you could rent one from the reception. I dont mean to scare anyone but a lad died whilst I stopped there, he slipped on his wet bathroom floor so put a towel on the floor! You could also rent a fan as the first floor does not even have the option for air con. There are no fridges and believe me you will get so sick of drinking warm drinks when you wake up with a hangover so we bought bags of ice and used the sink as an ice bucket. Down stairs is a vending machine only selling pop or beer no water and the bar shuts at 12.

The pool isn't huge but was heated so you don't need to wait for it to warm up all day and it was always clean.

The food was lovely! - minus the spag bol! The drinks are fairly cheap in the bar too and you can get a packet of 20 l&b for €4.75 from the cig machine.

There is a shop a 30 second walk from the hotel which sells food and alcohol but not cigs, a litre of vodka in there is €7 stock up and drink before going out as the strip is almost as expensive as the big clubs!

A 20 minute walk to the beach and into the town centre and an added 5 minutes to the strip. A taxi to the bigger clubs cost roughly between €16-30 depending where you go.

The staff at the hotel were fairly friendly especially in the bar not so much behind reception. The reps were okay but I would steer clear of the money grabbing so-and-so's given another chance.

It's cheap and cheerful you get what you pay for its up to you to make the most of it if I could offer any advice it would be to not buy the weeks activities from the reps, go down to the bay and book boat trips etc yourself, look after your room because if you break something you lose your deposit and have to pay extra for repair a patio door was something like €400 and if you have €400 to spare at the end of Ibiza you haven't done it right, and make friends within the building especially your neighbours if something happens its so nice to know you have someone to help at short notice, by the end our floor was like a little family. Also if you're going to do the strip and the big clubs go to the strip first you will not want to go after you have been to the clubs, privilege and dc10 in particular are not to be missed well worth the money!

Money saving tips for Ibiza would be get drunk before you go out then stick to water whilst out, buy one bottle of water with a cup of ice pour out only a bit of water and then just keep asking for more ice and keep letting it melt, ice is free, water will cost you at very least €7, also Burger King sell a euro burger and they are fab!

I hope this helped anyone thinking of visiting, there are some poor reviews but I tried to make the best of it and I would give anything to go back!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank X-ekb
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

DO NOT GO TO HOTEL APOLLO, WORST HOTEL EVER 50 EUROS FOR DEPOSIT AND EVEN THEN THEY TRY TO CHARGE YOU ON ANY LITTLE THING.

One guy got charge 20 euros just because his mirror was not clean and another girl got charged 15 euros for a broken keyring on return of handing back her key to the hotel.

This hotel was terrible and I would never go again but what I would say is they threaten youto pay the deposit and make it look like they will kick you out when really they cant as you have paid your money. I did not pay for the deposit so because of that we had to sign a declartaion form. I simply said i did not budjet for it.

STAY AWAY FROM THAT HOTEL