“people friendly”
Review of Pikes Ibiza

Pikes Ibiza
Reviewed 21 August 2014

we thoroughly enjoyed our 10 day visit, high on a hill, up a bumpy dirt road, a hacienda style complex, away from the maddening crowds, nice and quiet casita style units. nice pool, bars and restaurants, very friendly English speaking staff ,mostly young and hip clientele. Night life around bar and pool, if you want it, good restaurants nearby. suggest renting a car at the airport.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Silvia S, Director General at Pikes Ibiza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Oratorw,

Thank you for your review. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to your next visit to the island. We are already working on improving and surprising our guests next year! Stay in touch through facebook or our website to be informed on the House news!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have just returned from spending 4 nights at Pikes. It was my fourth trip to Ibiza in as many years. I am well aware that the island, for almost everything, is incredibly overpriced, especially in peak season. 12E for a bottle of water in the clubs is sufficient evidence of this. It is the price you pay for having so much fun on such a beautiful island and for the most part I am happy to accept it. But, even by the island's own spectacularly high prices, Pike's is on a completely different level to anything I have ever experienced. This is my first negative review that I have left on Trip Advisor. Coming from the hospitality industry I tend to live by the philosophy that if I don't have anything good to say I should not say it at all. I accept that ultimately that is not that useful for the Trip Advisor community, and, on this occasion I felt compelled to break my policy. I also note that the other reviews for Pike's are overwhelmingly positive. This is not so much surprising to me as completely mind blowing.

4 of us paid 500 Euros per night to be crammed into an incredibly basic suite that was closer to a youth hostel offering than a luxury hotel. I have included photos in this review as evidence. As a functional bed for the night it was completely adequate but nothing more. I often stay in youth hostels around the world and have no issue with the relative lack of comfort. The difference is I tend to spend around 50 Euros a night for a room when doing so as opposed to 500 Euros. I am not someone who requires luxury in order to have a positive experience. But I do look for value. As a Euro for Euro experience, Pike's represents the worst value for money that I personally have encountered, not just in the hotel industry, but across any commercial exchange I have ever made. If you pay 500E for a room per night, your expectations are automatically higher. You assume certain basic facilities, services and luxuries that you wouldn't if paying significantly less.

These are some of the issues we found to be unacceptable given the price we paid.

Our bathroom was tiny and incredibly basic (see photo). The shower flooded the entire bathroom on each occasion that it was used. There was no bin provided in the room. We had to use a plastic bag instead. We had one chest of drawers for 4 people. My clothes were stored in a pile on the floor in the build-in cupboard. The beds and linen (see photo) provided were more suited to a youth hostel than a hotel. Our wi-fi connection dropped in and out consistently throughout. The terrace furniture (see photo) provided was for 3 people not 4, and was staggeringly uncomfortable given the price we paid for the room, in fact, so much so, that we were unable to really spend any time on our terrace. On the Sunday the hotel was so busy with visitors that we were unable to find space by the pool, meaning we could stay inside our room or else leave the hotel altogether. We had an ant infestation in the room (see photo). Again, not the end of the world, but not what you would expect when paying such a high price. On the one occasion I went to ask for pool towels (amazingly not provided with the room or at the pool itself but to be collected from reception) I was told that only one was available and I should come back later for more. The food was adequate at best, but realistically I would describe it as poor. On three occasions that we ordered taxis to pick us up we waited over half an hour for them to arrive and had to consistently check back with reception to find out what was happening. At the price we paid per night, I would almost expect a concierge service, or at the very least the attentiveness of the staff to ensure that they chased the taxi on our behalf. We tried to get assistance in organising some nights out, but were told by reception that they had no connections with the places we wanted to go, and they would prefer us to call the establishments ourselves. They did manage to book us a table at a restaurant on one night however.

Of the positives, I would say that the staff were at least all very friendly and genuinely nice people, if not always the most accommodating. The Idris Elba party they threw on the Saturday night was outstanding. The pool area was nice enough without being special.

I am beyond astounded that my views have not been echoed by other visitors to Pikes on Trip Advisor. It is a mystery to me as to how this is possible. I and my friends who came along do not consider ourselves to be particularly difficult or high maintenance in any way whatsoever. Given the price we paid however, we left bitterly disappointed with the overall experience. Pikes has build a legendary reputation for throwing parties since way back when. In my opinion, it dines off this reputation and charges an exorbitant amount because of it. The hotel bills itself as a rustic and authentic Ibiza experience. I like rustic, but this I would describe as very basic. It belongs to a bygone era and is in desperate need of updating or at the very least a serious review of it's pricing strategy. If I had paid roughly half the price, my review would have been different. I would still consider it expensive, but at least it would be palatable. As it is, it represents the worst value for money experience that I have encountered anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Joshua K

Dear Joshua,
Thank you very much for your review and for offering us such a great input to improve.
After reading your review with we have to acknowledge that we have not been up to your expectations and we take it on board.

The front desk manager and myself we are already working on some of the issues you mention and on which we can improve. The staff has been informed on the fact that you did not find they were helpfull enough about the taxis or organizing the nights. The truth is that we can not do anything about the taxis being too long to arrive to the hotel, as in peak season there is a taxi shortage around the island that can be frustrating, but we agree with you that the staff should have informed you on the process.

About the concierge requests, I have to say it surprises us that you were told to do it yourself. It is definetly not our guests approach and if it was the case I can only apologize and guarantee that this is not our philosophy. We are here to show that we care for our guestsand we want you to enjoy your time among us, so if in an individual situation one member of our team has not been up to our beliefs about hospitality, I thank you for pointing it out. As you can see in any other review, this is not our normal way of doing things, actually what distinguish us is that we go beyond procedures to give our guests an amazing experience. i am working with the teams to minimize the cases in which we are not up to the guest´s and our own expectations. I understand that you are astounded that it has not been echoed but the truth is that it hardly ever happens that the guests do not feel that we are extremely helpfull and that it shows that we actually enjoy taking care of our guests.

About the ants, I can only say that we work with a pest control company, and we use all the products that the law allow us to use prevelling the safety of the guests. Also we provide products from reception for punctual cases. We are in the countryside, and it is hardly impossible to keep them out completely but in cases like yours we always find solutions so guests are not bothered by them. If a guest let us know there is an issue we always try to solve it and with the ants we have options, but I am afraid that you did not let us know.

I would like to make it clear that we never sell ourselves as luxury hotel. What we sell is not the most luxurious rooms and we never promise that in any of our marketing tools or social media. What we offer and is the guideline of the House philosophy is the authenticity and the history of the place and a team that goes the extra mile to meet our guests wishes. We offer a round experience which has nothing to do with luxury and our guests normally appreciate the value of it. That is the answer to the mistery of how can it be that all our guests feel the House is such an unique place to experience.

We feel confident that our rates are in line with what we offer. Luxury hotel rooms in Ibiza in August starts from 2000€ per night and the rate of the Junior Suite you booked is 389€ with taxes included. Your room is for two people, and we charged you for the extra two people you inluded in the room after you booked. Probably that is why you felt the room was not adequate and you were uncomfortable, as it is actually for two people, not four. As an usual traveller I am sure you know that not many hotels, and specially in Ibiza in August would allow it but we let you have two more people in the room, instead of getting another room. This is actually in line with our philosophy, as we try to accomodate to our guests capacity and wishes but obviously the comfort when you are four, can not be the same as if you were two.

That being said, all the department managers have read your review and we are working on what we can do to improve the areas you have raised, specially about the staff communication and attention to your needs. We feel and take the responsability of offering an honest and genuine experience so that our guests feel they have been taken care of, and your review is showing that there are areas that we can improve and as a team we are already taking actions.

Again, thank you Joshua for your input and to help us improve.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Went here for dinner and stayed for the club night afterwards at the beginning of July. It was the best night of our holiday, we loved it.
The evening didn't start well as the taxi driver tools us to the Ibiza Rocks Hotel in the centre of San Antonio, we were too busy chatting and didn't realise! So if coming from outside San Antonio, take the address with you to give to the taxi driver!
However once we got there everything got better, the staff were friendly and attentive, the food was amazing, we then had drinks by the pool bar where they filmed the video for Club Tropicana, which for girls who had been big Wham fans back in the day was great! At midnight Freddie's Bar opened and the rest of the night started.
All in all a fantastic night, didn't want it to end and wished I was staying there. Can't comment on any of the rooms as I didn't see any but if you can't afford the full experience of staying there, dinner and some dancing afterwards is a good second choice

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Silvia S, Director General at Pikes Ibiza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Hi vjg278,

Many thanks for your review! The team is glad to hear our guests get so much enjoy partying with us. We already have some new party tricks up our sleeve for next season so we hope you will be joining us again! Keep in touch through Facebook to stay up-to-date on all of the House fun!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Sunday lunch is absolutely fantastic coupled with being able to entertain my little boy in your pool. Loved it here.

we cannot wait to come back and this time stay overnight.

Next time I most certainly will stay a while and without a doub recommed you to everyone I know.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank tiggerpip

Hi tiggerpip,

Many thanks for sharing! It is the best motivation for the team to read that our guests enjoy so much their time with us. That´s what Sundays at the House are all about; taking it easy whilst enjoying the good vibes, food, music, family & friends and ofcourse a good dip in the pool! Hope to see you soon again!!! We will keep the sundays moving until October 12th!!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I gave this hotel a 5 star review a few years back for our stay in a standard room. We have since stayed here twice. For this past stay we were in a junior suite and the time before that we had a suite. I have to say that I found these rooms no better than the standard room. They were only bigger, but not nicer. I found them to be dark and gloomy with a lot of useless space. The bathrooms are in desperate need up updating. In fact I think the nicest of the 3 rooms we’ve stayed in over the years was actually the standard room, which is sad because the suites cost much more. The only advantage to booking a suite is that you are guaranteed to not be directly over Freddie’s club which has laud parties that last until 6am and sleep is impossible.

Since we’ve stayed at the hotel before, we made the assumption that things remained the same. But on our first morning, after checking in at 2am, we showed up in the breakfast room at 11:30 and were told that breakfast (which is included as part of the rate) was no longer being served, that the chef had gone, and that if we wanted to eat we had to order from the pool menu. (Odd that they still have food when the chef is gone)..
I complained to both the waitress and the front desk staff, because when we had checked in -the man at reception had told us that breakfast was served until noon-. And since I have stayed on multiple occasions before, I assumed this was correct because breakfast had always been until 12.
Most hotels would apologize and offer to comp our food if we ordered something else, because after all we had to pay for it as part of our rate, and we had been misinformed… but the staff at Pikes did nothing of the sort. They expected us to pay for breakfast twice since we had missed the continental breakfast (not our own fault). I was pretty upset about this. I know you may think it’s silly to be so upset over a breakfast, but the breakfast until 12 in one of the things I really enjoyed about the place. It’s one of the things that made Pikes different, and it’s one of the ways in which the hotel had embraced the laid-back, party atmosphere of the island. If you’re recovering from a 12 hour party session as we were from the day before, it was nice that you weren’t forced to get up at an unreasonable hour to enjoy your breakfast. Unfortunately this is no longer the case. What makes it worse is that they do not offer a rate that is not inclusive of breakfast, so you are stuck paying for it no matter what.

After our non-breakfast we went down to the pool. Luckily all of the nice sun beds are still there to lounge about on, but the pool was absolutely filthy. It was cloudy and had lots of stuff floating around in it, not just leaves and such, but also trash. It remained like that for the entire day, no one cleaned it. We did not use the pool for the rest of the week so I can’t comment on whether or not it was ever cleaned.

Our room was number 8 and aside from being gloomy, it was full of ants. They were mostly in the bathroom, but I also did find a few crawling on me when I was in bed. The safe was also broken so we were not able to use it during our stay. We didn’t make a fuss about it because after we complained about the breakfast and the staff did absolutely nothing to rectify the situation, we thought it was pretty useless to complain further.

Not all of our stay was negative. The food at the restaurant was delightful, and the staff was pretty good except for the first day with the breakfast mishap. However since the first day really ruined it for me I’m quite put off, and on the fence as to whether we will book here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank copahc
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hidden at the end of a desolate road some 2 km from Sant Antoni, you have a little piece of paradise called Pikes. From an accommodation point of view, this place is nothing special; basic rooms with older infrastructure. But you forget all of this as soon you immerse yourself in nice atmosphere and good vibes this hotel offers.

How do they manage?
First of all, it's the staff and their management, they are extremely helpful and friendly, they don't feel to be staff at all, they act as friends.
It's the decoration, a collections of chique kitch well chosen and scattered all over the place.
It's the music, 24 hours a day well adapted to the time of the day.
It's the bar, poolside with great cocktails.
It's the parties, the after-parties ... yeah they sometime get a little loud at the end, but anyway
It's the people, Pikes attracts a special breed of cool people of all ages that likes to party in style.

And Pikes is not just hotel ... it is also a very remarkable man. Tony Pikes gave his name to this hotel. Despite his higher age today, he is still present, cool, in style, with charisma to watch if his place remains the little piece of heaven he envisioned. He's the living proof "age ain't nothing but a number"

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Luc D

Hi Luc,

It was such a pleasure having you and your family stay with us at the House and we´d like to thank you for your incredible review. You really got the true House experience! We could not agree more with you.
What we offer to make our guests visit something special with a lasting feeling is mostly about the people. We enjoy the House, its personality and its history, and we love to share it with the guests! We promise to stay loyal to those values, but also to keep improving and surprising.

Stay in touch for more surprises coming next year!

Un abrazo!!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here on our wedding night and it pretty much topped off a perfect day (don't worry, this isn't going to get all soppy and romantic!), we got dropped off and the after party was just starting and it felt like one of the most chilled out clubs/bars you'll ever go to. We stayed in room 2 which is the perfect blend of simplicity and style. The second day/night was the perfect contradiction to the party fuelled Friday night where we saw the other side of Pikes and sampled the great food and drinks while relaxing in the sun. Over dinner Tony was sat at the next table and regaled with stories of his and the hotels past. All in all I don't think we could have had a better stay

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear James,

Congratulations for your wedding! Good to hear we could add up to such an special date.

James you did an amazing job at getting the most out of your experience at the House and only in 24 hours!!

We are already working to improve and surprise our guests next year so come to share your anniversary with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant Antoni de Portmany
#3 of 51 in Ibiza Town
Hostal Mari
Hostal Mari
#21 of 97 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Pikes Ibiza? Share your experiences!