“Why can't all hotels be like this?”
Review of Hotel Gran Sol

Hotel Gran Sol
Wirral
“Why can't all hotels be like this?”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I have been to Ibiza more times than I can remember, and the last time I was in San Antonio it was probably around 30 years ago - as I much prefer Santa Eulalia. However, as my partner and I were invited to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday in San Antonio, we had no choice but to stay there. I was really pleasantly surprised.

I won't write a long review, just a glowing one. Although built in the 60s/70s, the Gran Sol is a beautifully kept, clean and modern hotel - aside from its retro styling, you'd think it was new. We were greeted at the reception desk by the owner of the hotel - Anne from Heswall in Wirral - she was so friendly and welcoming, she put us immediately at our ease. Then she told us the fridge and safe in the room were free! something i've not experienced in any hotel before. the room was well appointed with air con, a ceiling fan, Satellite TV, lovely bathroom with toiletries and hairdryer, comfortable beds, very large balcony and enough space to store all your holiday gear and to spread out and relax.

The dining room, bar area, pool, terraces and gardens were all immaculate and really comfortable places to be. All staff were friendly and always eager to help where necessary and the whole ambience was one of calm and serenity. What's more, there's even a tennis court (beautifully maintained, of course!).

The hotel's location, too was one of surprise. Out slightly to the north of San Antonio (far enough away from the west end but close enough for the harbour) and perfectly located for some spectacular beaches, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the chill-out bars of Cafe Mambo and cafe Del Mar - now world famous not just for the music, but for those spectacular sunsets.

In short, this two star hotel is two stars too short. I usually stay at the four star Tres Torres in Santa Eulalia and yes, it is a lovely hotel - but it could certainly take a leaf out of the Gran Sol's book. There aren't many things that would make me stay in San Antonio - but my friend's birthday and the Gran Sol are definitely two of them.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, UK
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Arrived at this hotel with some trepidation- we had gotten such a good deal that something had to be dodgy, right? Wrong. From our check-in to check-out we had a near perfect stay at this exceptionally clean hotel. All 3 of us have very high standards and yet we really struggled to find a single thing to nit pick. The staff were very friendly and helpful, for example, our flight home was not until 9pm- we checked out at 12pm. They not only offered to book us a taxi for 6.30pm (30euros btw) but offered for us to have a shower before we left-even supplied us with fresh towels(which were the whitest towels I have ever seen). There was a free luggage lock up - it made our last day so stress free. There was also a free safe in the room.
The location is quiet which was just what we were looking for,but there were also some great bars right round the corner- the golden buddah was great for relaxing on the sofas and Kanya was host to some of the pre-parties- we caught the free bus out to Privilege from there which left about 12.30am. We also bought our tickets to Space and Privilege from reception- the tickets to Space were about 10 euros cheaper than on the door.
10 minute walk down to Cafe del Mar/Mambo.
We had lunch at the pool bar a couple of days-tasty and reasonable. Plenty of choice at breakfast.
Pool was clean and there was a lovely garden area also- plenty of space and loungers.
A real mix of people, families, couples and groups of friends.
Honestly, what's not to love. I'd defintely go back there with friends, or equally with my husband or Mum for a few days in the sun. We did ask why it was only 2 star, and Anne said that when it had been reinspected for regrading, the inspector had stated that they would need to upgrade the downstairs to up it to a 3 star hotel. Absolute nonsense. They definitely deserve to be at least a 3 star. Spot on.

Rossendale
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed for a long weekend at the Hotel Gran Sol. On arrival check in was swift and we had requested 2 x sea view rooms via email which they receptionist mentioned and gave us the keys to the 5 & 6th floor with good sea views. The hotel is clean and basic and the staff are very helpful..The rooms again were very clean!! The location is not in the heart of the busy area but is a nice 10 minute walk to the sunset strip....

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2010

A basic and clean hotel. Friendly and comfortable. Marked it down for sleep quality as the sound of moving beds by the cleaners on the floors above woke me at 9:30am (I'd only been in bed 2 hours after a night at Eden but the sound through the concrete was loud). A few door slammers too - but in San An I am sure this hotel is far better than the hotels full of full-on ravers in the West End etc!

Food was well above British catering standards at this price (not too difficult). Location very handy for the Sun-set strip (5 mins walk)! Half board appears good value!

If offered the option to pay in Euro or Pounds, take the Euro option as they failed to mention (even when asked) the commission rate charged (which was higher than our Credit Card charge). Ended up paying 20 quid over the odds. Pay in Euros unless you have a poor Credit Card deal.

We would not hesitate to stay here again! ;-)

Stockport
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I have been staying at the Hotel Gran Sol for 20+ years (and I'm only 31!) and it is the great service and friendly staff that keep drawing me back. My family have been coming here for years and we have never been disappointed by the welcome we receive at the Gran Sol - in fact, we are almost treated like part of the owners' extended family and the staff go out of their way to accommodate our every need!
Anne (one of the owners) is English, so if you need any advice you will get an excellent and fully comprehensive service in this respect. However, the other reception staff also speak very good English and they always go out of their way to help with any queries you might have.
It is not only our loyalty to this hotel that warrants our warm welcome - we have brought several friends to the hotel over the years and all of them have returned independently, commenting on the excellent service and staff.
The hotel is suitable for all ages. May and September are good months for more mature clients, whilst the hotel is ideally located for clubbers in the high season (July and August) with the sunset bars (Mambo, Cafe del Mar etc.) within a couple of minutes walk. You can also walk into San Antonio's West End within 10 minutes, so even on a night off from the big clubs near Ibiza Town, you are always within reach of a good night out. When you do wish to go to the bigger clubs, you can always catch the free club-bus from Kanya which is literally across the road.
Jose, Vicente, Pepe and Tony are excellent bar and restaurant staff and they are always willing to have a friendly chat ( - make sure you try a mojito!) I have visited hotels in the past which are rated more highly than the Gran Sol in brochures, but often the service is anonymous and impersonal, meaning that I am more tempted to avoid a drink at the bar before I go out! At the Gran Sol, this is not the case - in fact, there is a really pleasant atmosphere at the hotel bar and I recommend any guest to have a pre-dinner drink here.
The rooms are outstandingly clean - the maid service is daily and moreover, the maids will clean your room until the early afternoon so they cater well for the island's partygoers!
The pool area is pleasant and the garden is excellently maintained - if you want a rest during the daytime, head to the garden area as it seems to preserve a really calm and quiet atmosphere that is brilliant at curing a hangover!
If you want a brilliant holiday with friendly service and good accommodation, stay here! I know I will be booking up soon ready for next year! See you there. Michelle and Paul (Stourbridge.)

Havant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Have just retuned from a weeks holiday staying at the Gran Sol. This hotel is ideally situated for families not wanting to be in the middle of the hussle & bustle of club land, but equally good for youngsters who wish to make the short stroll to all the fun!

The staff are very friendly, food good and the hotel itself is immaculately presented and very, very clean.

We will definately be coming back next year.

Thank you to Anne, Pepe & staff.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I don't normally write reviews but this really is a cracking hotel and I have to express my thanks for a great holiday - Believe all the good reviews!

literally 50m to the beach, 100m to Cafe Del Mar, sunset strip and the centre of San Antonio. Yet in a suprisingly quiet location! We heard no noise during the night or from other rooms/guests.

Hotel is faultlessly clean, the rooms are large and our room had excellent air conditioning and ceiling fan. I think all the rooms are twin/double. Well ours was, I asked for a double and got a room with 2 single beds next to each other, not really an issue.

There is an excellant large selection of fresh food, hot and cold, 'British' and 'European' for both breakfast and dinner.

Friendly staff that couldn't be more helpful.

We were suprised to find this hotel had no large single sex group staying while we were there or too many children dispite being UK school holidays?!

Great pool and poolside bar, lots of activities - pool table, table tennis, tennis. No shortage of poolside loungers or parasols, pool and poolside very clean.

Shower, towels and luggage storage are all available if you have a late flight on the day you check out so you can still use the hotel facilities and beach.

Ideally see if you can get one of the higher floors facing the beach, we were on the first floor, just not quite high enough to see into the bay.

Reception desk open 24hrs, we checked in at 2:00am, also there is ample free parking outside if you hire a car or motorbike like we did.

I can't fault this place and I'm not sure how anyone else can.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant Antoni de Portmany