“Get the safety deposit box and DON'T hand in your room key”

Apartamentos Formentera 1
“Get the safety deposit box and DON'T hand in your room key”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel is in a great location. The beach is at the bottom of the road and mambo is only 5 minutes away, plus it is surrounded by loads of reasonably priced restaurants and bars. I would recommend Bar Buddha for a Pina Colada to watch the sunset which I think we did nearly every night. The pool is small but most days we were the only ones at it so it was ideal.

Now for the bad. The hotel is very noisy from dusk till dawn and the hotel staff seem to have no control of this at all. Every day/night is party time and you expect this in Ibiza but going out to the balcony and finding everything covered in Mayonnaise plus toilet rolls being thrown in is a bit much. You have no chill out time at all.

On the second last night my room was robbed even though all the windows, balcony door and main door were locked and were so when we returned. An iPhone and ghd straighteners were stolen as well as my friends electronic ereader. This was the only night that everything was not put in the safety deposit box, although I don't think I would ever put straighteners in it!! I reported this to the guy on reception and a security guy who was there who advised me that they need a police report to look at the cameras on my floor. This was now 6am so I decided to wait till morning as the police station was far away. In the morning we asked reception to phone a taxi to the police station, the theft was not in the hotel log book or the note passed from the night staff to the day shift, strange eh!! After 10 euros in a taxi each way to the police station they informed me that this information was rubbish and that hotel staff can check the cameras at anytime. So I hand in said police report and was told the Director of Security would be in within the hour and would want to speak to me. After an hour I chase this up and am told that the camera on my floor (2nd) is too dark and you can't see anything, so the hotel can't do anything else.

I would not recommend this hotel and if you do go then get the safety deposit box and don't hand your room key in as the theft from my room was obviously an inside job.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Francene_7543

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'd definitely say this hotel should probably be chosen for those wanting a livelier type of holiday. The hotel itself is in very close proximity to the one next door, so if you overlook that hotel then it's basically a battle of the stereo's from morning till night.... and then all through the night too. Ideal for probably late teens/early 20's.

Unfortunately I'm not in this category, so although I like a drink and a party as much as the next person, I also like a bit of quiet 'recovery time' which didn't really happen all week. The walls are paper thin therefore you can easily hear what goes on in the next room... which isn't that great when 'young Davie' manages to pull and brings a delightful young lady back to the apartment... Thankfully in his youthful exuberance I don't think he put in much of a performance, so he only lasted about 5 minutes.

The location is really well situated. Just 5 minutes walk to the Sunset Strip and Cafe Mambo and an easy 10 minute walk to the West End if you want plenty of pubs etc to choose from. Around the hotel there were loads of supermarkets and restaurants to choose from with a massive variety of foods from Thai, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Steakhouses all within a few minutes walk.

The Apartments themselves are very basic, but very clean and tidy with a daily maid service.

The main thing that caused concern though was on our second to last night thieves managed to get in through a locked door without damaging the door and were then kind enough to lock it again after stealing an iPhone, e-reader and some hair straighteners. Night staff advised they couldn't view the CCTV without a request from the police. After then going to the other side of the island to the nearest police station they advised the hotel were talking nonsense and the security staff could view it any time they wanted. On return to the hotel the report we had filed the night before wasn't handed over to the day staff, so had to be repeated all over again.... The CCTV was then viewed, although we weren't allowed to see it, and then we were advised that the camera for that area had been blacked out, but were also told there was no camera in that area?!

All a bit too 'convenient' for our liking if I'm being honest, but we couldn't prove a thing. From reading other reviews it seems that we're not the only ones this happened to.

If you were to go here I would advise that you use the safety deposit box (which we had ironically used all week except that single night... so had they been in before checking? Or was it because they knew we were leaving and may not have bothered chasing the police?). Also, I wouldn't hand my key into reception again, as they then know when you're in and out the apartment.

This is all easy to say with hindsight though.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the building facing neighbouring hotel...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KevMcAuley

Travellers are raving about these Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

For the price you pay for this hotel, you get a great service. We paid £140 (i think) for 6 nights and we got more for our money than other hotels near by that charge more.

The maid cleaned our room every day, ive paid more and before and not seen a maid for the full week.

I find it hard to believe all these stories about rooms being stolen (or that people would leave anything of value in ANY hotel room), For the first three days, the guys on reception checked who i was by my name and from my picture they scanned from my passport before i was given our room key, it was only when they recognised me that they stopped doing this, im not sure what more they can do.

On top of this, all the hallways were monitored by CCTV so if it had been reported, then the CCTV could have been looked at.

If your room has been robbed, any hotel in the world would tell you to report it to police (this is from first hand experience of having a room robbed elseware), The closest Police Station that i know off is just outside San Antonio and would cost about 4 Euros in a taxi, i know this because ive been there with a friend.

Saying the nearest Police station is 11 miles away is completely wrong, The island from Ibiza town to San Antonio is only 10 Miles wide!

Overall we had a great stay 15th September till 21st September, Valubles left in THE SAFE!!! and the fact the hotel is a two minute walk to the Sunset is amazing for what was effectively a £25 a night room.

Check out the Bhudda Bar for some nice cocktails and sunsets, Capprici for some cheap breakfast or nice Pizzas for lunch, Villa Manchega have some great Tapas and Caló des Moro is a small but nice beach, all within a 3 minute walk form the front door of the hotel and none are 100% brits which was nice.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Me and a friend stayed for 6 days and were apprehensive after reading reviews.
Everything went well, wasn't sure about the deposit box but our items were safe all week.
The staff were friendly when we had a room mix up and sorted the problem quickly.
A draw back was the lack of balcony and the small pool.
It's cheap, cheerful and I'm a great location! Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Last night went out for tea door locked windows locked no damage do to the door or window yet iPhone and Prada sunglasses STOLEN all hotel reception could say is go to the police which is 10 mile away!! The thief must have been able to walk through locked door!!!!! Or shock horror must have used a key?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen_B846
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed in Apartamentos Formentera for 11 days. I loved my apartment- room 103. My sister and I had
-a kitchen with amenities like a microwave, hobs, fridge, cups, plates, bowls, cutlery and a kettle (but electric kettle would be better than the normal one) with a table and a chair,
-lounge area with a table and two armchairs,
-bedroom
-closet with a mirror
-en suite bathroom
-two balconies- one for hanging the washing, second with a view on the sea with a table and two armchairs. (we asked for balcony with the view on the sea)
The hotel has also got a swimming pool which is a bit small but better than nothing.

The hotel staff are really friendly especially Rebeca who was extremely helpful when I needed help.
I did not get robbed in the hotel like some people but I would advise to keep your valuables in a hotel deposit box- it costs 4 euros.
It was clean but if you want the cleaners to clean your room you must hang the -please clean me leaflet on the door handle.
Deposit for aircon remote control is 10 euros, for remote control for the TV as well, but when everything is ok you will get the deposit back when you check out.
You have a 5 minutes walk to Cafe Mambo and Cafe del Mar from the hotel and 10-15 minutes from San Antonio main port.
It is often loud at nights so I do recommend the hotel to party goers or to people who like to party more than sleep.
Opposite the hotel there is a nice bar with flamenco dancing on Thursdays, beer costs 2,50.
Next to the hotel there is a bar-restaurant with free wi-fi so don't worry if you don't have free wi-fi in the hotel. you can have a coffee there for 1.50 or English tea for the same price but a tea is served in a tea pot so you practically have two teas for the price of one :)
Two turnings from the hotel there is a road called Carrer de la soletat- there is a cheap supermarket where you can buy for example 1.5 litre of water for 33 cents whereas opposite the hotel the same water costs 1 Euro. Beer in that shop is also cheap- 89 cents per a can of Heineken. There is also a tobacco shop on that streets where ciggies cost 4.10 euros per packet of 20 cig. Also a couple of steps later there is Cerveceria Urban where you can have a lovely half a chicken with chips and salad for 4.50 euro! Hamburgers are good as well and cost 1.85 euro!
I would come back to that hotel if I was in my early 20s but I am not and I had a bad experience in Ibiza- I got poisoned and robbed in San Antonio- where the pubs and cheaper drinks are. Please be careful and don't take your all money or cards with you- better keep them in a safety deposit box in the hotel.
Hope that helps.

Room Tip: when booking mention you would like to have a balcony with a view on the sea otherwise you might not...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank jo w
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Overall you get what you pay for. You pay very little and get very little. Saying that it's right by the beach where you watch the sunsets. Plenty of bars, restaurants and supermarkets nearby and about 10mins walk to the crazy West End. Next door is Pub Neptuno where I watched Andy Murray win Wimbledon, The British Lions beat the Ozzies and England won the first Ashes Test.

• Stayed July 2013