“Basic but a good choice”

Apartamentos Formentera I
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I actually lived in these apartments for 8 weeks! From june- august And had no problems, Room was reasonably sized with an extra room we used as a dressing room, we had the maids in every day with clean towels and sheets if asked!, a little nosiy as it got into height of season but expected this as I was in Ibiza, the hotel is a short walk away from sunset strip (mambos/cafe del mar), at the end of the road is a little beach called kanya (would also recommend the restaurant kanya aswell, food is amazing), a 5min walk from the westend but far away enough not to be kept up all night by the noise of the westend, great choice of food around the hotel, a British cafe called fatso is the best place for when you're maybe missing home.
Hotel Staff little hard to understand with language barrier so would recommend learning a little Spainish before hand. the pool is quiet (and cold but sometimes this was quiet refreshing) which is nice when you need to catch up on sleep but the sun dissapears behind the hotel early so would adise to go to the beach when this happens as u have at least 4 hours of sun left, hotel is very basic you get what you pay for and I was pretty happy with what I got, all in all an ok place to lay your head!, because not much sleep happens in Ibiza anyway :).

• Stayed: June 2013
There are newer reviews for Apartamentos Formentera I

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Firstly yeh the location is great and its a stone throw away from the beach and has a pool that's pretty much empty all the time which is handy as you can catch up on the sleep you don't get inside their paper thin walls. Got into room found our shower curtain was hanging on to the wall for dear life and our toilet was squinty which made you worried it was going to fall off. Had a scabby set of drawers which I think some one made in tech class as they never shut right. The staff in the hotel had absolutely no control over anything the guests did and you were left with people blaring music and banging pots and pans amongst a few other things they were banging. Constant shouting which really wasnt necessary as you could hear a snake fart three doors down. People throwing stuff onto balconies and generally being dirty gets. One of our rooms were also broken into by aformentioned thieving ghost as door was clearly Locked when we left and locked when we came back (clearly this was the staff) at least they locked it again so it wasnt a free for all and the guys on the beach would have been selling it all. Staff had no interest in helping when it was reported, and some how lost the report that was left for daytime staff and lied about needing a police report to view cameras. The girl then said she would call us when director came to look at camera and didn't and strangely the one camera that would have seen was some how blacked out must have been the ghost interfering with it. If you are gona stay here keep anything of value on you or in your safety deposit box which may not be entirely safe either.

1  Thank Mcdermott_t69
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This is a very basic hotel, you get what you pay for, which isn't much. The location is good for bars and restaurants, but terrible for a good nights sleep. We opened our curtains to be faced with the balconies of the next hotel, across an alley way (room 220) . It was full of young party animals who had no respect for anyone else. After one of their parties our balcony, and the street below, was covered with toilet paper and mayonnaise. This lay there for the week as, although the maids changed our towels, they didn't touch this. On the second last night, we were robbed through a locked door, which the thieves managed to lock after them? I phone, ghd's and an e reader gone. This was the first night some of our valuables were left in the room. We were told there was no camera, then it was blacked out and there was nothing could be done. We were also told it couldn't be checked without a police report and an outsider would have to come check it. Half an hour after the police report was handed over it had been magically checked by hotel staff, who's English was extremely basic, therefore couldn't understand or answer any questions we had. It was all a bit coincidental for my liking. From the reviews on here, it seems to have been going on for years and nothing has been done about it. Advice if you must stay here? Ask for a room with a camera outside, never hand your key into reception, put all your valuables into a safety deposit box (including straighteners) and take ear plugs. Oh, and the tiny swimming pool is freezing!

2  Thank Wee_Clare_81
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel is in a great location. The beach is at the bottom of the road and mambo is only 5 minutes away, plus it is surrounded by loads of reasonably priced restaurants and bars. I would recommend Bar Buddha for a Pina Colada to watch the sunset which I think we did nearly every night. The pool is small but most days we were the only ones at it so it was ideal.

Now for the bad. The hotel is very noisy from dusk till dawn and the hotel staff seem to have no control of this at all. Every day/night is party time and you expect this in Ibiza but going out to the balcony and finding everything covered in Mayonnaise plus toilet rolls being thrown in is a bit much. You have no chill out time at all.

On the second last night my room was robbed even though all the windows, balcony door and main door were locked and were so when we returned. An iPhone and ghd straighteners were stolen as well as my friends electronic ereader. This was the only night that everything was not put in the safety deposit box, although I don't think I would ever put straighteners in it!! I reported this to the guy on reception and a security guy who was there who advised me that they need a police report to look at the cameras on my floor. This was now 6am so I decided to wait till morning as the police station was far away. In the morning we asked reception to phone a taxi to the police station, the theft was not in the hotel log book or the note passed from the night staff to the day shift, strange eh!! After 10 euros in a taxi each way to the police station they informed me that this information was rubbish and that hotel staff can check the cameras at anytime. So I hand in said police report and was told the Director of Security would be in within the hour and would want to speak to me. After an hour I chase this up and am told that the camera on my floor (2nd) is too dark and you can't see anything, so the hotel can't do anything else.

I would not recommend this hotel and if you do go then get the safety deposit box and don't hand your room key in as the theft from my room was obviously an inside job.

2  Thank Francene_7543
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'd definitely say this hotel should probably be chosen for those wanting a livelier type of holiday. The hotel itself is in very close proximity to the one next door, so if you overlook that hotel then it's basically a battle of the stereo's from morning till night.... and then all through the night too. Ideal for probably late teens/early 20's.

Unfortunately I'm not in this category, so although I like a drink and a party as much as the next person, I also like a bit of quiet 'recovery time' which didn't really happen all week. The walls are paper thin therefore you can easily hear what goes on in the next room... which isn't that great when 'young Davie' manages to pull and brings a delightful young lady back to the apartment... Thankfully in his youthful exuberance I don't think he put in much of a performance, so he only lasted about 5 minutes.

The location is really well situated. Just 5 minutes walk to the Sunset Strip and Cafe Mambo and an easy 10 minute walk to the West End if you want plenty of pubs etc to choose from. Around the hotel there were loads of supermarkets and restaurants to choose from with a massive variety of foods from Thai, Chinese, Indian, Italian, Steakhouses all within a few minutes walk.

The Apartments themselves are very basic, but very clean and tidy with a daily maid service.

The main thing that caused concern though was on our second to last night thieves managed to get in through a locked door without damaging the door and were then kind enough to lock it again after stealing an iPhone, e-reader and some hair straighteners. Night staff advised they couldn't view the CCTV without a request from the police. After then going to the other side of the island to the nearest police station they advised the hotel were talking nonsense and the security staff could view it any time they wanted. On return to the hotel the report we had filed the night before wasn't handed over to the day staff, so had to be repeated all over again.... The CCTV was then viewed, although we weren't allowed to see it, and then we were advised that the camera for that area had been blacked out, but were also told there was no camera in that area?!

All a bit too 'convenient' for our liking if I'm being honest, but we couldn't prove a thing. From reading other reviews it seems that we're not the only ones this happened to.

If you were to go here I would advise that you use the safety deposit box (which we had ironically used all week except that single night... so had they been in before checking? Or was it because they knew we were leaving and may not have bothered chasing the police?). Also, I wouldn't hand my key into reception again, as they then know when you're in and out the apartment.

This is all easy to say with hindsight though.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the building facing neighbouring hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 23 September 2013

For the price you pay for this hotel, you get a great service. We paid £140 (i think) for 6 nights and we got more for our money than other hotels near by that charge more.

The maid cleaned our room every day, ive paid more and before and not seen a maid for the full week.

I find it hard to believe all these stories about rooms being stolen (or that people would leave anything of value in ANY hotel room), For the first three days, the guys on reception checked who i was by my name and from my picture they scanned from my passport before i was given our room key, it was only when they recognised me that they stopped doing this, im not sure what more they can do.

On top of this, all the hallways were monitored by CCTV so if it had been reported, then the CCTV could have been looked at.

If your room has been robbed, any hotel in the world would tell you to report it to police (this is from first hand experience of having a room robbed elseware), The closest Police Station that i know off is just outside San Antonio and would cost about 4 Euros in a taxi, i know this because ive been there with a friend.

Saying the nearest Police station is 11 miles away is completely wrong, The island from Ibiza town to San Antonio is only 10 Miles wide!

Overall we had a great stay 15th September till 21st September, Valubles left in THE SAFE!!! and the fact the hotel is a two minute walk to the Sunset is amazing for what was effectively a £25 a night room.

Check out the Bhudda Bar for some nice cocktails and sunsets, Capprici for some cheap breakfast or nice Pizzas for lunch, Villa Manchega have some great Tapas and Caló des Moro is a small but nice beach, all within a 3 minute walk form the front door of the hotel and none are 100% brits which was nice.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Me and a friend stayed for 6 days and were apprehensive after reading reviews.
Everything went well, wasn't sure about the deposit box but our items were safe all week.
The staff were friendly when we had a room mix up and sorted the problem quickly.
A draw back was the lack of balcony and the small pool.
It's cheap, cheerful and I'm a great location! Would stay again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant Antoni de Portmany
#48 of 97 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Apartahotel Maritim
Apartahotel Maritim
#5 of 7 in Port d'es Torrent

Been to Apartamentos Formentera I? Share your experiences!