“I had booked the San Remo....”

Hotel Club S'Estanyol
London, United Kingdom
“I had booked the San Remo....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having done extensive research on the list of hotels offered for my chosen dates in Ibiza, I decided to book into the San Remo hotel. We turned up at this hotel to be told that we had actually been allocated rooms in the other “block” and directed to a completely different hotel which was a good couple of minutes walk away. We duly checked in at the Hotel Club S’Estanyol, strange. We had booked 2 single rooms and were allocated rooms 225 and 227. The first problem was the ridiculous numbering of the rooms. The lifts deposit you on a corridor which goes up to 224. We thought we must be on the wrong floor but, upon investigation, the 3rd floor rooms all started with 3, so we came back down again and started walking along the corridor with the room numbers decreasing….until they suddenly started increasing again! Very confusing and I really think the receptionist (wish I had got his name) could have mentioned this. Found 225, opened the door and were greeted firstly by the most overpowering and unpleasant smell of mould and drains. Lovely. The room was also dark and tiny with a view of a wall. So disappointing. My mother was trying to get into room 227 but her key didn’t work. As we had to go down to reception to resolve this I thought I would also ask why we had ended up in this hotel and not San Remo. The explanation offered by the (same) receptionist was ridiculous. OK, so they are a complex and you can use the facilities in both, I understand that (although it hadn’t been made clear anywhere when booking, I had a vague recollection of reading about it on Tripadvisor), but why bother to call them different things and allow guests to choose between them?? He told us that there were no single rooms available in the San Remo. Erm, the one room we had seen so far (and indeed every room we experienced or saw as we passed by) had, as is usual in these hotels, 2 single beds pushed together. How is that a single room??? Upon questioning what constituted a single room we got no satisfactory explanation. We then asked what the situation would be if we wanted to upgrade, apparently this would not be possible. I mentioned the view and room were horrible, apparently this was what the single rooms were like. We left very unsatisfied by the explanations and his attitude, but with a key which worked for room 227. Imagine our surprise then when we opened the door to “single” room 227 to find exactly the same bed configuration but a MUCH bigger and lighter room with a bay view (NB a review a couple down from this stayed in room 227 as a couple, how odd…..). Realising the explanation we had received was total BS we went back down to ask if there was another “single” room like this as 225 was frankly unacceptable. We ended up with 127 which was the same as 227, with a slightly more pungent odour. Other points about the hotel;

• The food is really not good, extremely bland, boring and unappetising. The staff really struggled to keep things topped up, especially at breakfast and were not pleasant. This was in October, God help them in August. The restaurant in S’estanyol was like a school dinner room, the one in San Remo was slightly better. The alcohol was fine and, for once, the spirits did not seem to be watered down. The snacks were minimal and it was not clear what was on offer and how it should be ordered. It was all available at the bar, there was no separate snack bar.
• The pool is a joke. Tiny and an extremely odd shape, no wonder everybody resorted to the sea. The one in San Remo was not much better. There is hardly any space for sun loungers at either place. Everything (entertainment etc) happens in San Remo.
• The reception staff were not friendly and a girl had to complain several times about water flooding her room (327, also looking at the review about 227 this seems to be a problem in those rooms and room 227 had a lot of mould near the bathroom ceiling) so they were not efficient either.
• The housekeeping was ok but nothing (towels, soap etc) were no replenished. I also found it odd that they provided a toothbrush and toothpaste but no shower gel. All you got was a sachet of shampoo (just about enough for 1 wash) and a bar of soap. In the days of hand luggage only flights and the ridiculous 100ml restrictions on liquids I would have thought a bottle of shower gel would be very much appreciated by 95% of their guests.
• The air con does not work if you have the balcony door open. Very clever but it would have been good if there had been any mention of this within the room!

Having said all of this, we got a very good deal on this hotel so I have reflected this in the rating I have given it. It is in need of some TLC and some staff who care, both about the hotel and the guests. The way the rooms are sold also needs to be made clearer, why give people a choice of hotel if you can be allocated to either regardless of what you booked??

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank beeza1
Director_SR_E, Gerente at Hotel Club S'Estanyol, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Beeza

First of all, thank you for your extensive review, we appreciate your comments, but we must clarify some points.

San remo-S'estanyol hotel is a complex and can be allocated in any of the buildings, as you said you had booked two single rooms and were given two doubles, like an up-grade.

Once again sorry if your stay was not pleasant, we take note of your requests and invite you to come next year.

Kind regards,

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

from what I can make out 90% of guests get bumped to the sister hotel next door, estanyol, well this place is just plain awful! - food is cold, and below any standard that would be described as acceptable. bland, boring, repetitive. was cold every day even when you were first in at the start of service. fresh cooked meat was as tough as old boots. only acceptable food was kebab night, and the meatballs. as for snacks, the only "HOT" snack which is in no way hot!, is a hotdog. apart from that its a selection of dried biscuits and cake. the very worst all inclusive I have every experienced. the only saving grace was the alcohol!! - there was plenty of it and even tho it all inclusive stops at 11pm nothing stops you stocking up 10+ before then :) - the wifi... well if you want to pay 40 euro`s for the slowest wifi in the world then your good to go!.. apart from that there are plenty of bar`s offering free wifi. and can highly recommend Donnegens which is just up the road, has high speed wifi and the food is AMAZING! the staff are extremely friendly and its just a good place to sit and chill. - the only purpose for this hotel is for groups of people who want a basic room to crash in if your getting hammered every night. if you have a family FORGET IT! - if you want to swim in the pool - FORGET IT! - if you have booked RE THINK! - even if you got this on the cheap, its not worth it... pay extra and get somewhere with edible food, real snacks, and a pool that's not more like a garden pond than a pool. SERIOUSLY - AVOID AT ALL COST - we spent 7 days there flying back sat 14th. and if we could have gone home on the Wednesday or swap hotel we would have. the only shame is that we met a really nice girl on our last night, the only person we actually had a decent conversation with called michelle I think it was who worked for m@recr@ft, gave me some real good advice on my diet! (if you read this and remember me and the mrs I was 11lb not 2st like I thought!!) if you fancy a chat drop us a email with your FB details @ ukmr2@hotmail.com)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darren_Mandy_Pullen

Travellers are raving about these Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

have just returned after a brilliant holiday, what a view from our 1st floor room, the whole hotel was so clean in gleamed, reception on arrival was great, the bar and restaurant staff also great as was everyone else. food was good always something to enjoy only down side was not warm enough but there was a good microwave so all ok. cannot understand why people moan about here. you couldnt get any closer to the sea and the views were wonderful, we met many nice people here as well which always helps. shame there was no entertainment only a load of rubbish at san remo , the only bad thing that everyone moaned about.

Room Tip: room 123 which was ours was great large with beautiful views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We appreciate this nice comment about our S’Estanyol hotel.

We are very happy to receive this kind of comments because allows us to check our work and it’s a huge motivation for improve day by day.

We are glad that you spent a good time in the hotel and you felt comfortable, because is our main goal.

We will consider your opinion about the entertainment, and will try to improve for next season.

Once again, thank you very much and we hope to see you again; our staff will be very happy to receive you.

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel Club S'Estanyol October 1st - October 5th 2013 on an All Inclusive basis.

Things I wanted to know, but struggled to find out before arrival.

1) Taxi from Ibiza Airport to San Antonio Bay and vice versa - no more than 30€ Roughly half an hour transfer time.

2) Bus from Ibiza Airport to San Antonio Bay and vice versa - 3€ Per person. 30-40 minutes transfer. An hourly service each way the L9 drops you two hotels away from the S'Estanyol.

3) Is there wi-fi? No - dreading my phone bill.

The review:

The hotel has a variety of guests, from the drunken 18 year old doing shots of tequila at the bar to the elderly gent, who would be seen with his daily whiskey at the poolside.

On arrival we were promptly checked-in, the chap on reception was friendly and answered any questions we had, we were checked into Room 227.

Trying to find our room was admittedly a bit of a mission to start with. The instructions of "down the corridor, take the lift to the second floor and then right" left us a little bewildered when we eventually made our "right" turn. The room numbers don't tally to start with, but, if you carry on walking through the "rabbit warren" you will get to your room.

The room was small, basic BUT clean, TV, safe and off our balcony we had a bay-view. The balcony was small and private - however, you could see straight into the neighbouring hotel and their guests bathroom if their window was open - not a pretty sight first thing in the morning. The bathroom was a good size, jacuzzi bath with shower above, large mirror, hair dryer and again CLEAN towels.

We only stayed in Room 227 one night as the bathroom above started leaking into our bathroom and into the entrance of our room. The staff sent hotel maintenance quickly and moved us to a new room.

Our 2nd room 407 as above only large plus an additional sofa. The balcony again private, large with a view to die for - an ocean, beach and bay view.

Food at the hotel was fine, breakfast consists of either your typical continental or an "English Breakfast" - there is a hot drinks dispenser, so if you need coffee in a morning, I would avoid at all costs (Awful) and has a good selections of teas and soft drinks.

Lunch usually consists of fries, lasagna, rice, salad bar and a hot grill at the front where the chef will cook to order fish / chicken dependant on what is on offer at the time.

Dinner - again, fries, salad, pasta, curries.

I can't say I had the most amazing food there, but it fed me and I wasn't ill - so that is the main thing.

The bar tends to be the top of everyone's list whilst stopping All Inclusive - the draft at the hotel is "Estrella" (available internationally). The booze is NOT watered down. The bar also has fresh coffee - so better than in the restaurant / buffet area.

Staff could be a little short at times, but it's ibiza, and in October they're probably ready for the season to be over and not have to deal with drunken louts.

The hotel was quite, on occasion it got a tad noisy due to people walking on the beach drunk - but let's not forget, this is IBIZA and does get loud.

I've never stopped in a 3* before and any preconception I had was shattered. Would I go back? Yes - maybe not All Inclusive, but if the price was right, it's worth it for the alcohol alone.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheManWhoKnewItAll
Dear Themanwhoknewltall,

Thank you very much for this nice and massive comment.

The only thing we should point out is that we have free wifi, but only at the bar area at San Remo bar.

Once again we want to thank you for your nice review about us.

Kind regards
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was our 4th stay at S'Estanyol, we have had 3 excellent and 1 indifferent stay. This year I requested a higher floor with a sea view as last year we were allocated room 001 which had no privacy at all.
We arrived at around 2am and what I had requested in advance in a room type (via Alpharooms) was given as the receptionist asked did we still wish for a higher floor with sea view. We were checked in within 2 minutes but we had to wait till the next day to obtain a safe as this needs to be reset with a maintenance guy.
The room was more than adequate for the 2 of us with twin beds pushed together along with a pull out settee bed in the room, lots of storage space and the room was sparkling clean!!.
The room next to us did have varying amounts of noise and arguements from a young couple but this was over 2 days (they were told to leave apparently) and was generally over in 10 minutes anyway.
The rooms have been recently renovated and had new memory foam beds fitted (which personally I don't like and have only given a 3 star for that reason alone) which has cost the hotel thousands. The cleaning of the rooms if you wished was every day along with towels etc.
The food choice is good and their is something that you always like that is available, we were on an all inclusive stay and not once could you say their wasn't something that you didn't like. The food area never gets over busy and the staff are hardworking. The chef always has 'show' cooking for fresh meats on the lunch and evening meal option and again this was very good.
The only 'down side' to the hotel is the souless bar area with no entertainment, drinks are aplenty but this year we stayed an hour then had to leave as their is no atmosphere at all, but a plus side is you can start your night chilled out with superb views of San Antonio at night.
As I stated above this was our 4th stay at S'Estanyol and we will be returning next year, I recommended this hotel to my in-laws for their stay in May and they loved it also. When I first booked this hotel for our first stay 3 years ago it got terrible reviews, much of these from my own personal opinion are way off the mark. In 4 stays we have encountered no problems (except room allocation last year) and spoke to many people who have also had enjoyable stays at the hotel. It isn't the Ritz but it is modern, clean, excellent location with friendly staff.

Room Tip: Room 114 has an amazing view across the bay to San Antonio. Ask for a room on the 4th floor with a s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sandonred,

Thank you very much for this nice comment.

We are very happy that you´ve been coming every year and still enjoying.

The hotel staff will be very glad to see you again next season

Best wishes
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

we stopped here from 20th...till 27th had a fab time views from the balcony looking over the sea was amazing was lovely 2 wake up 2 every morning.Food was ok nice selection could not fault the staff there very pleasant and lovely wud recomend this hotel only fault i wud say was the entertainment was in the sis hotel so after having dinner u had no time 2 get a seat but overall had a fab time and can not wait 2 go bck 2 the hotel again .....sharon from west mids xx

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for this nice comment. We are very happy that you felt comfortable in our Hotel S’Estanyol.

We appreciate comments like yours because they are a huge motivation to improve and work hard day by day.

We hope to see you again.

Kind regards,
Elsecar, barnsleyl, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We was booked to stay in the San Remo hotel, but when arrived at 3am we was transferred into the e'staynol hotel just next door. We could use both hotels during our stay but mainly ate at e'staynol. Just our choice that it was little quicker there. The sea view was amazing, we stayed in room 219 and my parents were next door in 218. Omg the rooms were huge, with alittle sitting area with a flat screen tv on the wall. The view was great over looking the water/bay. Only had bbc world news channel in English but it was ok for us. I did notice that rooms on the ground floor had smaller rooms and a big backed tv.
My husband and I have traveled around and can honesty say that the food was lovely, different choices every meal time. We stayed a week and never saw a meal repeated. The maids clean the the rooms, make the beds and clean towels every day. The hotel tried really hard, even have a shower room for your last day. We checked out at 11am, kept our all inslusive bands on until our transfers arrived at midnight.
We walked into San Antonio town which takes approx 25 mins. Lovely walk it is too. Water taxi stop is just outside the hotel.
At the front of our hotel there is a strip with plenty of bars, shops, spar shop etc. we found a pub called sun and moon which had bingo and singers etc, we found this pub good and relaxing. There are pubs on this road for 17+ yrs old with louder music etc. also has a nice take away right outside the hotel.
We have just returned today at 6am, we traveled home in night and it wasn't too bad to be honest. We have just looked at priced for next year because we are going back.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Tagomago
Hotel Tagomago
#30 of 105 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
azuLine Hoteles Mar Amantis I & II
azuLine Hoteles Mar Amantis I & ...
#29 of 105 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Nereida Aparthotel
Nereida Aparthotel
#1 of 1 in San Antonio Bay
Ses Savines Hotel
Ses Savines Hotel
#8 of 105 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Hotel Club S'Estanyol? Share your experiences!