Having done extensive research on the list of hotels offered for my chosen dates in Ibiza, I decided to book into the San Remo hotel. We turned up at this hotel to be told that we had actually been allocated rooms in the other “block” and directed to a completely different hotel which was a good couple of minutes walk away. We duly checked in at the Hotel Club S’Estanyol, strange. We had booked 2 single rooms and were allocated rooms 225 and 227. The first problem was the ridiculous numbering of the rooms. The lifts deposit you on a corridor which goes up to 224. We thought we must be on the wrong floor but, upon investigation, the 3rd floor rooms all started with 3, so we came back down again and started walking along the corridor with the room numbers decreasing….until they suddenly started increasing again! Very confusing and I really think the receptionist (wish I had got his name) could have mentioned this. Found 225, opened the door and were greeted firstly by the most overpowering and unpleasant smell of mould and drains. Lovely. The room was also dark and tiny with a view of a wall. So disappointing. My mother was trying to get into room 227 but her key didn’t work. As we had to go down to reception to resolve this I thought I would also ask why we had ended up in this hotel and not San Remo. The explanation offered by the (same) receptionist was ridiculous. OK, so they are a complex and you can use the facilities in both, I understand that (although it hadn’t been made clear anywhere when booking, I had a vague recollection of reading about it on Tripadvisor), but why bother to call them different things and allow guests to choose between them?? He told us that there were no single rooms available in the San Remo. Erm, the one room we had seen so far (and indeed every room we experienced or saw as we passed by) had, as is usual in these hotels, 2 single beds pushed together. How is that a single room??? Upon questioning what constituted a single room we got no satisfactory explanation. We then asked what the situation would be if we wanted to upgrade, apparently this would not be possible. I mentioned the view and room were horrible, apparently this was what the single rooms were like. We left very unsatisfied by the explanations and his attitude, but with a key which worked for room 227. Imagine our surprise then when we opened the door to “single” room 227 to find exactly the same bed configuration but a MUCH bigger and lighter room with a bay view (NB a review a couple down from this stayed in room 227 as a couple, how odd…..). Realising the explanation we had received was total BS we went back down to ask if there was another “single” room like this as 225 was frankly unacceptable. We ended up with 127 which was the same as 227, with a slightly more pungent odour. Other points about the hotel;
• The food is really not good, extremely bland, boring and unappetising. The staff really struggled to keep things topped up, especially at breakfast and were not pleasant. This was in October, God help them in August. The restaurant in S’estanyol was like a school dinner room, the one in San Remo was slightly better. The alcohol was fine and, for once, the spirits did not seem to be watered down. The snacks were minimal and it was not clear what was on offer and how it should be ordered. It was all available at the bar, there was no separate snack bar.
• The pool is a joke. Tiny and an extremely odd shape, no wonder everybody resorted to the sea. The one in San Remo was not much better. There is hardly any space for sun loungers at either place. Everything (entertainment etc) happens in San Remo.
• The reception staff were not friendly and a girl had to complain several times about water flooding her room (327, also looking at the review about 227 this seems to be a problem in those rooms and room 227 had a lot of mould near the bathroom ceiling) so they were not efficient either.
• The housekeeping was ok but nothing (towels, soap etc) were no replenished. I also found it odd that they provided a toothbrush and toothpaste but no shower gel. All you got was a sachet of shampoo (just about enough for 1 wash) and a bar of soap. In the days of hand luggage only flights and the ridiculous 100ml restrictions on liquids I would have thought a bottle of shower gel would be very much appreciated by 95% of their guests.
• The air con does not work if you have the balcony door open. Very clever but it would have been good if there had been any mention of this within the room!
Having said all of this, we got a very good deal on this hotel so I have reflected this in the rating I have given it. It is in need of some TLC and some staff who care, both about the hotel and the guests. The way the rooms are sold also needs to be made clearer, why give people a choice of hotel if you can be allocated to either regardless of what you booked??
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel designed for you to totally disconnect and enjoy Ibiza's delights. A dream location, right next to the S'Estanyol beach, where every day you can enjoy the magnificent sunsets in the San Antonio Bay (one of Ibiza's must-visit places) and have fun with a wide variety of water sports. You can really disconnect in our large rooms with views of the San Antonio bay, and the new terrace by the sea. Lie back in our sun loungers with a delicious drink in a chill-out atmosphere. If you want more, then the "all inclusive" package is your best bet. A buffet restaurant with show cooking, shared with the adjacent San Remo Hotel, where you can enjoy an exquisite variety of dishes catering to all tastes. It all adds up to create a wonderful stay which offers you everything you were looking for and which will make you feel 100%. A unique experience, a different way of spending your holidays ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Grupo Playa Sol, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Club S'Estanyol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- s Estanyol Hotel
- Hotel Club S'Estanyol Ibiza, Spain