“Hotel with a confused identity and manager”

Marina Playa Hotel & Apartments
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel was a mixed bag. It appeared the hotel was managed by a man (blue shirt) who was more interested in running the bar outside than the hotel itself. This was evident in the fact the front desk was not constantly staffed and on numerous times the bar staff were sitting on the front desk (unable to speak english or assist with basic requests such as additional towels). The manager of the hotel needs to focus more on the hotel and keeping things running rather than what appears to be his pet project/boyhood dream of running a poolside bar and chatting with the DJ spinning the decks.

Also the hotel cleaners were extermely loud in the mornings at 9am yelling and dragging bags right in front of our door. So make sure to get a room high up and not on level 1. Additionally the room cleaning was poor in that soap and shampoo were not replaced and a remote control was missing from the room. We also found a dirty ripped towel on the table in our room on checkin...

However the rooms were clean, the location good, pool clean and wifi fast. To enjoy your stay you need to be demanding to the staff and will have to ask for expected things to be done.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room the sunsets are amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pinklove
MariaServitur, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Marina Playa Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Pinklove,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m happy to hear you liked the rooms, pool area, location and the cleaning service and WiFi connection.
The hotel property is working hard every year, to improve and achieve that our customers feel comfortable, improving our facilities and services. We are doing a great effort and we appreciate the comments that we have so it helps us to keep improving and to change those negative opinions into positive ones, and decide to come back.
I am certainly disappointed by the lack of cleanliness you experienced during your stay. I sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations.
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay; we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

María Sánchez

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here for the weekend for my 35th birthday with my husband and I have to say I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Ibiza.

We were greeted by a very friendly man on reception who did not speak much English but never the less made check in a very simply and smooth process.

When we got to the room were delighted by how clean and spacious it was, in fact I would say it is one of the best self-catering apartments I have ever stayed in. The view from our first floor room was of the sea and pool area and was absolutely stunning.

The pool area itself is very clean and luxurious looking, with fantastic music playing all day, nothing heavy or too loud though. Free Wifi is available throughout the building including in rooms.

On the morning of my birthday, another staff member knocked on our door and fetched me a bottle of Moet and a note which they had printed off from my husband. They also fetched me a bouquet of flowers which the staff member had hand picked for me himself.

The location is great, only 10 minutes walk to the madness of San Antonio, but quiet enough if you just want to chill out.

The only downside was a group of girls staying here who thought it was acceptable to come in at 5.30am every morning shouting and screaming. It didn't bother me, this is Ibiza after all but there were a couple of families staying here with young children so to me this wasn't acceptable and perhaps they should have been asked by staff to keep it down.

Overall, a brilliant, clean apartment with excellent faciliti4es and very friendly and helpful staff members. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Ibiza.

Room Tip: Room 106 is Perfect!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 318Marie
Reviewed 7 August 2014

From the moment we walked in we were delighted with this hotel. The décor of the reception, the rooms, and the pool terrace overlooking the sea is stylish, cool and up to the minute.
The staff are lovely, friendly and helpful. The DJ is excellent, and will do his best to play the type of music you request. Laid back chill out music is played by the pool all afternoon, and often there is live music at night. The sunset view is fantastic, and the DJ plays suitably dramatic music for sunset. We enjoyed watching the sunset here as much as at Café del Mar (which was our reason for coming to Ibiza). The clientele when we were there didn't appear to be the 'clubbing till dawn' varierty - clubbers want to be closer to the 'centre' - this hotel is in a much nicer area, and not noisy. Good restaurant and beach café opposite give variety.
The food in the hotel is excellent for what it is - don't expect a 4 star restaurant menu, that's not the vibe here. Just enjoy - it's impossible not to!

Room Tip: We preferred a room at the side, but most people would like the front, overlooking pool terrace and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ZeldaBee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My friend and I were looking forward to staying at the Marina Playa because all of the reviews that we had read were so amazing.
Although we didn't have a sea view (we didn't know we had to book this in advance) we were more than impressed with the room, clean, bright, spacious and a huge balcony. In actual fact, to the right you could see the sea but it wasn't directly in front of us when we looked out. However, this wasn't an issue as the best place to be was on the hotel terrace by 8.30 pm to watch the beautiful sunset that San Antonio is so famous for. In the end we didn't even visit Café Mambo, or Café del Mar because we felt we had all we needed right where we were. The views were to die for and sipping a cocktail, listening to chilled out house music was by far a great way to start every evening. The vibe in the hotel is fantastic and all staff are really friendly and helpful. Throughout the day house music is played and it's really enjoyable, I never knew I liked House before I went but it made me feel upbeat, relaxed and the DJ was brilliant.

The food in the hotel is really good and not too pricey, I totally recommend trying the burger, it's homemade and whilst I would always say to try local food, if you're looking for a quick lunch, I bet you've never tasted a burger so good! Pizzas are brilliant too and sharing is a good option as they are big!

The hotel is situated in a fab location, to the right and a ten min walk is the crazy town and to the left about the same distance is quieter with other bars, I recommend the Irish bar! The West End is something else, totally packed, loads of bars but very young, not really our thing but worth a look at if you're interested. By 2am it's a bit of a meat market with teenagers everywhere and some not very nice views! Ibiza Rocks is a cool place though!

Some lovely restaurants around San Antonio and overall an amazing week away with my best friend! Would I go again? Yes! Would I stay at the same hotel? I wouldn't go anywhere else now!

A cool, classy and very current hotel. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Book a sea view in advance, especially in the summer!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Danielle F
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Location: Very close to the San Antonio walkway, which is popular for its bars, vibrant nightlife and mostly packed with tourists from the UK. If San An is your choice of stay, then this hotel makes sense as it is situated at a corner of the walkway (the other being San An bus station). Thus, you are close to the activities, but will have a sound sleep at night.

If you are looking for a more touristy place, Ibiza town may be more appropriate, with its Mykonos styled edifices and roadside shops.

A more classy location would be Santa Eulalia and there are the hidden treasures in the vast island like Casa Tarida for a relaxing vacation.

Accessibility: Taxi from the airport will cost you about 30-35 euros. In summers, the airport buses shuttle from San Antonio bus station at the start of every hour. The closest stop from the hotel is Es Pueto. This is a very convenient option even with luggage. Charges are 4 euros per person.

Service: The room service has a lot of scope for improvement. Beds were not made up on certain days. They are quite stingy to provide soaps.
The wifi reception is poor in the room.
The restaurant downstairs offers decent food, but is owned by a different company and you cannot charge to your room.
The swimming pool has a very nice view of the sunset, and the poolside has a lovely ambiance and a DJ. It opens up as a bar for outsiders in the evenings.
However, there is a charge to even use a beach chair at the poolside for patrons.

Room Tip: With poor wifi and only spanish channels on TV, pool and beach facing rooms may be entertaining whil...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank virtual_nomad

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I’m happy to hear you liked the pool area and location.
It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell short of your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.
Thank you once again for your review.
Kind Regards
María Sánchez

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed there with our child in May (around Easter) 2014 for 4 nights. All was very well presented, good size rooms in the apartment we got on the second floor, 3 terraces as well. Close to the beach, not too far from the centre of San Antonio, kept clean on a daily basis. The breakfast was basic continental style but only two choices, tasty though. Little restaurant on the beach across the road is a MUST - cheap cheerful with very large portions of food and lots of options on the menu - recommended! We had couple of cocktails at the pool bar which cost too much for what they were (as much as the ones we had at Café Del Mar). The policy to use the lounge covered beds at the pool only if you spend 60 Euros is outrageous! Other than that - good value for money hotel. We would recommend it for couples and families alike.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank I P
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Seaview room July 2014 £300 booked in Sep 2013. we are a 30 something couple looking for a decent weekend getaway.

Looks very nice on the outside, nice pool area, and bar. They have put effort into this area and it looks the part. The rooms are VERY basic and bit shabby (first floor), but you don't go to Ibiza to sit in your room. Location is brilliant and near enough to walk to the action and far enough not to be in your face. We didn't eat or drink at the hotel but did note the beer is half price down stairs next to the sea and the food comes from downstairs too, looked pretty nice. All these things were fine until we found our passports had been stolen, from our room!

It must be noted that we are a couple who don't do drink and drugs, and not too proud to admit if we'd lost something or done something wrong. The passports were not lost and had been placed in our room, not in the safe admittedly. They were not taken out of our room on excursions or lost.

When we packed to go our passports were missing, our flight in 6 hours. I informed the receptionist who all of a sudden could not understand English. He was told our passports are not in our room. They have either been stolen or picked up by staff accidently. I asked to speak to someone who did speak English and got told to wait.......

My priority was to get home to our babies. I didn't go accusing or pointing the finger. Sometimes mistakes happen and items get picked up accidently by cleaners, perhaps?

I spoke to the manager who was completely unhelpful and rude. I asked if they had been picked up or handed in and was given the non English version of, 'bollocks your passports have been stolen, you've lost them, go to the police if they've been stolen.'

I asked for advice, numbers to call, location of embassy and was given vacant expressions.

I was on the phone calling for advice sourced independently. A member of the cleaning team searched our room which was a futile task with it having already been turned upside in the search for them.

We left on a very sour note.

To report of a theft from a room I would expect staff to be more concerned, but must say no one was bothered. I had to ask them to look in the lost and found and speak to the staff If they had been picked up or found.

I do not know who stole our passports. I do know its not the first time a theft has occurred at the hotel having read other reviews.

Room Tip: sea view is a must
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ady l

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our customers and I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the ambiance of our property and the new Terrace area and liked the location.
I have been investigating your review and we found the passports at Reception, perhaps they were there from check in. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Please contact me by e-mail to marketing@servituribiza.com.
If you come back to our hotel, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me.
Very kind regards,

#1 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa
Aguas de Ibiza
Aguas de Ibiza
#2 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio

Been to Marina Playa Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!