“All Round First Class Holiday Destination”

Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Took my two older teenagers here for a 9 night break in July 2012, absolutely beautiful hotel, first class service from the minute you walk into reception. Super rooms, we had a sea view even though it hadn’t been requested or paid for especially, which were kept spotlessly clean for the duration. Indeed, everywhere was clean and tidy, staff seemed to have been trained very well and nothing was too much trouble.

Entertainment team were great, the shows slightly amateurish but super fun; the animation team did a good job in getting everyone involved, however they weren’t pushy, if you wanted to be left alone, that was fine.

Food was amazing, something to suit everyone even the pickiest of teenagers; not that I need them, but I even saw gluten free items available on the buffet.

Location was fine for us, we didn’t however go on any trips or anything, so can’t comment on that, we did take a taxi (4 euros) into Playa Blanca one morning for a shopping trip which was very nice, but that was as far as we ventured this holiday - I was unwell :( which was nothing to do with the holiday resort though.

All round super holiday!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a central location if you want to be near to the main restaurant / pool / sea...
1  Thank JLS0311

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We were greeted by cava and fantastic reception staff. We were taken to our rooms by a golf buggy which my 13year old son enjoyed . The room was fantastic , a queen size bed and bed settee for son in separate section with sliding doors. Rooms were clean and maid service excellent. If we had any problems ie our safe played up this was sorted within an hour. My brother in law stayed next door , had problem with television, sorted promptly .
Food excellent in main restaurant and Chinese. Gluten free options limited but available at breakfast. Abdullah brilliant chef. Sports bar good, thanks to Katarina. Animation team fabulous, Janetta was fantastic .
Would definitely recommend to families . As per other reviews sun beds can be problem however noticed more put out, also pool bar food improved with new containers.
No cock roaches seen apart from outid areas, all staff work exceptionally hard. The manager should be proud of such a good team.. Thank you for a fabulous holiday. Can we have coffee/tea making facilities in room please?

Room Tip: We had 6470 which was a way out however very quiet and on 6th floor
1  Thank Alison B
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Me, my wife and 2 sons aged 7 and 12 stayed for 12 nights 21st Jul - 2 Aug. On arrival we were given a glass of cava each and the boys a glass of oj. check-in was very efficient but lacked some information on kids clubs etc. We found some inconsistancies the first few days, for example on our first visit to the restaurant the waiters came and asked what we would like to drink then other days we would have to get our own, the pool bar area would be immaculate most days but occasionally really messy with lots of food on the floor not cleaned for hours? At this bar you could get snacks which was great as long as you got your bread before the pigeons did! the bread was often left uncovered by guests. Some staff worked very hard at the hotel whilst others had a lot slower pace, in general though the staff were friendly and polite.The hotel is basically split, one side is where all the kids club and activities are and the other is where the main pool and buffet restaurant is, we were in the latter. Our 7 yr old tended to stay at the main pool with us because most of the activities were to young for him in the kids club and he was too young for the older club, on the one occassion he wanted to join in and play table tennis, it was too late by the time the member of staff from kids club got him there (this is on the other side of the hotel) to his disappointment he just had to watch.
In the evenings we found the majority of the Spanish to be quite arrogant, pushing in at the bars and forcing their way into the seating areas to watch the entertainment.
These faults though would not be enough to put us off returning to the hotel, on the whole the hotel is great value for money, the food is of a good quality and the drinks on the all inclusive are fantastic, lots of international brands (Jim Bean, Smirnoff and Gordons for example) and my wife enjoyed the red wine and cocktails!
The rooms are very nice and cleaned to a high standard every day, we had a sea view which was definately worth paying the extra for.
The two extra restaurants are a pleasent change, the italian has tasty pizza's and the chinese has a limited menu but the food is ok, we could book these as many times as we wanted.
I would not recommend this hotel to couples wanting to have a relaxing holiday, this is definately a family hotel where the kids can have fun and not feel restricted.

The walk to the marina is great along a coastal pathway and takes about 15-20 mins strolling, it takes approx 30 mins into Playa Blanca town. The marina itself is beautiful with some lovely restaurants.
I would strongley recommend the trip to the volcano's, very informative and has stunning views our boys loved it!
On the whole this hotel is situated in a stunning area and is a great value family hotel.

6  Thank duffs123
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Phillips family (Anthony, Carol and 18 yr old Nicola) arrived at the hotel on sunday 22nd July 2012 for two weeks.
A lovely welcome with a cool glass of cava handed to us and our cases taken to our room which was so nice.
ALL staff we came into contact with were courteous and very helpful.
Our room was beautiful, clean, spacious with a brilliant shower and bath. We had a view of the pools and the sea. (3107)
The food was lovely with lots to choose from, the chef serving freshly prepared hot food who we christined "Enjoy" as he said this to every person he served, what an absolute delight and we fell in love with our waiter Tony who made sure we never went short of a drink, he always had a smile for us whenever he saw us.
We did at times find the dining room a bit manic due to the number of people congregating in the one restaurant. The hotel has now changed from two hotels to one, leaving one main restaurant and one main entertainment club I feel this is why at times they both felt packed.This we felt was a disadvantage.
During some evenings we had a drink outside whilst we were being entertained by a beautiful singer and a male saxaphone player at other times.
We agree with the comments some have wrote about the sunbeds, people were reserving them, including beds for very young children who hardly used them.
We liked to sit away from the pool as some children were running about and splashing the people trying to relax. We found our perfect spot and settled quite happily, but we did have to get up early to reserve them. I am not against sharing my holiday with children but as I work in a primary school I do like to have time to myself when away, so for me, I would like the hotel to have SOME separate areas for adults who fancy a bit of peace and quite, I noticed a pool at the top end of the hotel where I do believe the second hotel used to be, this had slides for the children but hardly any children were there, perhaps because it was so far away. That's where I went wrong, I should have gone there myself.
The animation children were brilliant with the children, but one in particular was extremely annoying getting people to watch cocktail making and then pouring the finished product down peoples throats whilst hollering at the top of her voice this went on most afternoons. (Felt like an 18/30's holiday)
Some of the evening shows were really good with the animation team giving their all.
A couple of niggles but overall a really lovely holiday, we have arrived home relaxed and happy. A big thank you to all the team at Gran Castillo.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank carol636
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Just returned from a great two weeks at a great hotel. We had seen the hotel last year and decided to book for this year. We weren't disappointed Cava on arrival, luggage taken to our room and friendly reception staff got our holiday off to a great start.
We had a superior room which was spacious and clean, it had partition doors which was great for our 14 yr daughter to have privacy. We asked for a quiet location and got one.
Ample sunbeds around the pool we used and even saw more being put out still had the issue of people reserving large number of beds as early as 6:30am but we still got beds and there were spare. Could do with a few more umbrellas though but when asked the pool staff found us one. The grounds were kept very clean and tidy as were the pool areas.
Bar service was good with brands available, Sipping cocktails from the outside bar on the terrace with the seaview in the evening is a must.
Food was excellent "one or two, enjoy". Tried all the restaurants liked the Chinese but found the choice in the main buffet with a reserved table was great for us. We never ate out!!
The animation team was the best we have ever come across. Don't really get involved but they made you want to because of the way they organised things and their easy going approach. Splash dance is a great way to finish off your day sunbathing.
Entertainment at night was either an act or the hard working animation team who put on shows including the young children and then a show themselves.
We went into Playa Blanca on a couple of occasions. I would recommend walking in and getting a taxi back cost 4-5 Euors. I would highly recommend this hotel for families with children of all ages as well as couples, look forward to a return trip.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

This was our first trip abroad with our two daughters (6 and 8) and we were a little nervous but the hotel was totally amazing! They were very friendly on arrival, the rooms were exceptionally clean and the beds were comfy!
Lots of choices of pools, there could be a few more loungers although the one day we couldn't find one we asked a staff member and he went and found 2 for us.
Food was very good, lots of choice available and 2 choices of fish and 2 of meat cooked fresh in front of you every day!
We didn't have any problems with long queues at the bar to wait for service although the waiter service in the evening was sometimes slow due to the number of guests.
Shows were entertaining, the girls both loved the Queen - We Will Rock You show.
The animation team were brilliant, the kids loved them, they got to know your name and were always happy to talk and see if you wanted to join in with any of the activities.
Can't wait to go back next year!

5  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed here the week before the UK schools broke up for summer for 9 nights and it was me, my husband and our 5 year old son.

The room was spacious, well designed and clean and the bed was so comfortable I slept really well from night 1 - we should have requested a sea view though as our view was of the children's pool - which our 5 year old son loved, but I much prefer gazing out on to the horizon across the sea!

The fridge wasn't cooling and there were no tea or coffee making facilities...not a huge deal but I know lots of people that rely on such things!

The food was very good, couldn't fault it - but along with a sea view, what makes a holiday for me is trying different restaurants and lots of local food. This obviously caters more for the international market and did so very well. The Italian restaurant was pretty good and much smaller than the main one so nice for a bit of peace and quiet!

The pools were plentiful and clean with different vibes from the noisy sports pool next to the kids club to the one between the two main parts of the hotel which was very chilled. There are no two ways about it - there IS a sunbed problem and with all the Spanish families taking long siestas in the afternoon it was a little bit frustrating watching families taking up enough beds to accommodate every member of their crew, including their 2/4/6 year olds and then leaving them empty for hours on end, when we always made sure we only used two for us two and our son as he's only little and was in the pool half the time!

The staff were trying to monitor this, but took it a little too far and 'told off' a family sitting next to us for one of them going off to get a drink and taking too long - she'd only been gone for 15 minutes and her husband and teenage daughter were still using the two other beds. They just need to get a balance - and enough beds!

They did bring some new beds in with very comfy stripy pads after a few days, but then each night they took the pads in but wouldn't give them back out until at least 10am which for those with young children who like to be out in the earlier part of the day made things a bit uncomfortable!

With regards to entertainment, the kids' club was great and staff obviously genuinely love working with children - our son used it twice and would have liked to have gone more. The singer they had outside on the bar terrace on a couple of evenings was far from your usual club singer and I was very impressed with her.

Our son didn't want to take part in the mini-disco but again, I can't fault the team leading it getting most of the children involved. I can't comment on the evening shows but I understand they were again done with complete gusto by the team. I only ever really observed them chatting to others before water aerobics etc and they were incredibly professional, friendly and enthusiastic.

So, when my husband and I chatted about the Dream Gran Castillo and whether we'd return - it would only be if we had the funds to hire a car for the whole stay, eat out most of the time and just use the restaurants as a back up and to have breakfast.

On that note - it was pretty cheap to hire a car just for a few days, which we did in the end as Lanzarote is such a stunning island it is worth getting out in to the mountains and it takes no time at all to get from one end to the other. Our tips (from other visits to Lanzarote too) would be going to Teguise in the middle of the island, Famara beach, Papagayo beaches and anything that Cesar Manrique had a hand in!

There's nothing actually wrong at all with the Dream Gran Castillo, everything they do, they do very well. It's just we now know it's not our preferred style of holiday - despite me very much getting the break that I needed.

We'll be back to the remote finca in the foothills next year!

Room Tip: Check where your room is going to be as it's such a huge hotel there is a vast array of 'vie...
5  Thank ZilB
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#30 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun? Share your experiences!