Stayed 24th Nov to 1st Dec. My wife and I decided to look for a minimum 4 star all-inclusive holiday which offered value for money. On trawling the web we found this 5 star hotel offering an option at a rate well below some 4 star hotels.
On arrival we were offered a soft drink whilst we were booking in, by very friendly staff. We found our room to be very spacious and clean but with one niggle after our first night's sleep, the sound of a continuous humming noise which I can only think was from the boiler/airconditoning plant. We reported this to a member of the reception staff (Ruth) the following day, without hesitation we were given another room which turned out to be perfect.
Now the good points, firstly the food was first class with plenty of options on offer for breakfast, lunch and dinner (note I do not agree with anyone on here who could possibly complain about the food). The big chef in black, Christian, I think his name was, deserves a special mention as the food he poduced on the griddle was five star plus. Two waiters without doubt deserve a special thanks too, one called Tony who was ever so friendly and most helpful, the other guy's name i cannot remember but he too was always there on hand with a big smile on his face.
Secondly, the activities were great and well orgainsed, i participated in daily volleyball and either pistol. rifle shooting or archery, the two guys running them were really good fun. There were other activities such as table tennis, bar football etc on offer not to mention the evening entertainment which according to other guests were very well run (we didn't have time to fit them all in).
Thirdly, the bars were all very good, again run by very friendly and helpful staff, beer tasted good as did the six or even cocktails that came as part of the all-inclusive package. snacks too were availble during the day so you were never left hungry.
Forthly, the swimming pools were clean, with plenty of beds available at each one, some were quieter than others which was good as the main pool could get busy with kids. There is also an indoor spa that offers various treatments as well as a gym that look well equipped. Unfortunately we didn't visit the centre as we did not have time.
Fifthly, the location of the hotel whilst some 3km away from Playa Blanca suited us perfectly as we were away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to walk to, in particular as one could stop off at the lovely Rubicon Marina on the way. There is also what I would describe as a rugged sort of beach just outside the perimeter fence of the hotel, we saw kids here having fun looking in rock pools. There is also a track that leads to Papagayo Beach that was well used.
Sixthly, on checking out we met Ruth again at reception, she had remembered us from when we made our complaint about the room and the first thing she asked was the room satisfactory and that to me sums the way the staff were throughout the stay, they just couldn't do enough.
Finally we have plans to go back to Lanzarote early next year and we intend to stay at the Dream Gran Castillo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts SL, Onthebeach, Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TravelUp, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Lanzarote/Playa Blanca