Gran Castillo is a well-designed and pleasing set of buildings. The architecture evokes a varied collection of old buildings apparently jumbled around a Moorish castle. In fact it is modern and designed by very clever architects. The design, combined with efforts of the hard-working and uniformly pleasant and helpful staff, successfully avoids the impression of being the large budget holiday factory that it is. There are endless nooks and corners to explore and different areas from the noisy to the peaceful. A sea view room gives a southerly aspect and a mountain view may be preferable for the shade of a northern aspect in the high season.
Both the themed restaurants are included in the package with no menu items that attracted a supplement. The regular buffet was varied and extensive and represented excellent value for money given that (at least in the off-season week that we chose in November) the cost of the holiday was very low for such a well organised, scrupulously clean and pleasant resort.
Our room was a superior sea view and was spacious, clean and well-serviced. Pleasing neutral decor.
The clientele when we visited (end-November) included a wide range of Europeans, albeit with a majority of Brits without feeling Brit-dominated. Our November term-time visit meant a predictable demographic with couples with adult children off-hand like us and young couples with pre-school children forming the vast majority.
Any cynicism about all-inclusive packages is misplaced here. We struggled to find anything that required additional payment - certainly nothing that stood in the way of having a good holiday. Our final checkout bill was 3.28 euros for some UK landline calls from the room, which at 0.19 euros per minute were substantially cheaper than using our UK mobiles.
My only hesitation in doing a review was that occupancy was (apparently - it didn't feel like it) 97% and I was rather hoping to keep it secret for our subsequent trips. Well done BA for finding this hotel and flight package! The only reason for scoring average on location is that the Canaries are not specially pretty, but that's not what visitors go there for. Given the nature of Canary Island scenery, I can't imagine it could be improved on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Jet2Holidays , Onthebeach, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote