We’d been up since 3am and the flight was delayed for over 5 hours to didn’t arrive at VIK until approx 7.30pm. We were given the key to our villa. When we walked in an overwhelming smell of damp and mould hit you. We had a quick look around the villa and then went for dinner. When we came back I unpacked all our stuff, the smell was really strong in the main bedroom. We found an inch thick layer of furry mould/damp under the bed and on the wall next to it. We went to reception and were told we could either move or someone would come and clean the room. So, has it was 10pm and we had been up since 3am we opted to have it cleaned. The lifeguard (!?) came and mopped under the bed. The bed itself felt really damp to the point of being wet and I actually slept with a towel under me and towel on top for the next 3 nights! The next day we went out and bought some little dehumidifiers for the room and tried to air it out. The other problem was that the air con/dehumidifier wouldn’t stay on for longer than 10 minutes at a time. On top of this the couch and all 4 dining chairs were also covered in mould/damp.
After 3 nights I had enough and went back to reception and asked for another villa. We were given the one next door which had been empty whilst we were there. This didn’t smell at all, although the bed felt a bit damp so I asked for the linen to be changed. After that everything was fine with the villa. The air con stayed on continuously.
Rooms in General.
Villas are a nice size. Kitchen has a kettle and microwave. 1 double room and one twin room. The lighting is really poor in the bedrooms. Couch is very uncomfortable. TV has two English news channels. Sheets are changed once a week and towels twice a week. There is a welcome pack in your Villa which asks you not to put washing outside. There is a small dungeon room off the kitchen with a tiny maiden in it that would probably fit two pair of knickers. You couldn’t put washing outside anyway as it would be full of salt spray from the sea (and we weren’t near the sea).
The villas are not near anything. The nearest shops are a good 10 minute walk but you can’t really complain about the location as you should check this before you go.
There were 2 girls who were nice and tried to get you to join in but not pushy. They did quizzes, table tennis, tennis, Spanish lessons …
There is a pool table and table tennis table which are both outside so when it rains they get soaked. The evening entertainment takes place outside the restaurant on about 10 tables, or if it’s raining you can go inside a small unwelcoming dark room where there are two computers.
The restaurant was always clean and tidy. The food was average. Breakfast was nice, fresh pancakes and croissants, lunch and dinner were pretty much the same. I would say that two thirds of the dishes are fish or have fish in them, even the pasta and salads, so if you don’t like fish it looks like chip butties for you!! Haha. Nothing is labelled either so it’s hit and miss. The food is not hot but there is a microwave which is a great idea. Soft drinks and tea/coffee was self service and never busy.
Nice pool and the sunbeds are really comfy. Never had a problem getting a bed but it was December and not that busy, would think it would be a different story at the height of the season. The beds are all touching so no room to manoeuvre them. Lifeguard always on duty. 10e deposit for beach towels (each).
No problem at all, everyone very friendly.
My Top Tip
1. We had quite a few cloudy or rainy days in Playa Blanca. We had hired a car for the week so we drove out to other places like Puerto Del Carmen and Costa Teguise and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky!!
2. Don’t get villa number 10
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Vik Club Coral Beach located at the east of Playa Blanca, is a hotel enjoyed for its tranquility and calm. Let yourself be seduced by its impressive sea views and by the times of relaxion at the Chill Out. Live the Vik Club Coral Beach experience and forget everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your VIK Coral Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vik Club Coral Beach Hotel Playa Blanca
- VIK Coral Beach Lanzarote/Playa Blanca