“Relaxing holiday would recommend”

Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Volcan Hotel, we had seen this hotel whilst in Playa Blanca a few years ago and decided to book after finding a very good deal. So glad we booked as feel totally relaxed from our holiday. The staff were all very friendly but professional, I wasn't sure what to expect re the bedrooms but we were pleasantly surprised.
They were a very good size and had everything you could want.
Regarding the food, I can not fault the breakfast offerings, there is something for everyone.
Most lunch times we ate at the Yaiza restaurant where they offered a good variety of lunches from sandwiches, salads to pizza plus other dishes at a very good standard. There were a couple of days where there was a long wait as they were extremely busy, but that didn't worry us. We only ate at the main restaurant twice in the evenings as we preferred to eat at the Marina which is literally on your doorstep.
We left the hotel yesterday when it was getting busier with families so glad we were there in the quieter time. Would I recommend? Yes I would and would love to go back.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank fimccsurrey
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest

It has been our pleasure to have taken care of your holidays.

We thank you for recommending THe Volcán Lanzarote to other travellers. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (3,948)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I hesitate to take an alternative view, but having based our hotel choice on so many very positive reviews we were genuinely disappointed. The welcome was good with friendly greetings, a drink and our cases despatched efficiently. However, our high expectations were dashed as soon as we saw our room which felt gloomy and slightly seedy – rather than the light, bright, boutique type feel we were anticipating.

Our first disappointment was that the ‘sea view’ we had paid extra for was mainly obscured by a mix of buildings. Whilst it was not a totally unpleasant outlook, it a far cry from the seascape vista we had anticipated. The balcony was just big enough to seat two and felt small & boxed in by the surrounding buildings.

It was however the room interior that was the main disappointment – a room that felt a poor reflection of its glory days. The fabrics had clearly seen a lot of use - the bed counterpane and drapes looked faded and worn and well past their ‘best before’ date. The valance was stained around the bottom and the bedding slightly askew to reveal a hairy blanket – the sort of bed you feel hesitant about getting into! The sofa and chairs also looked past their best and were dotted with small marks and stains. On the plus size both the bedroom and bathroom were large and it was easy to imagine how good they had once looked with tiled blue and white flooring. However the bathroom taps/shower fittings (together with ‘retro’ bidet) had long since lost their shine and the bath, was ringed around the top with lime scale deposit that comes with years of use. Against this backdrop it was not difficult to imagine that the dried rose petals scattered around the room were equally old and dusted off between each new arrival!

Having requested an alternative room we were eventually (after a fairly long wait in Reception) shown two others that were of similar standard – even a quick look around revealing stained seating covers and what appeared to be cigarette burns on the wooden furniture
We were assured that no better rooms existed and it was only the following day when our rep stepped in that we were offered a ‘Club’ room which was much cleaner and brighter. The Club is apparently not usually open in June (which seems a missed opportunity for the hotel and customers alike). By that stage we had already seen a hotel we much preferred – the Princesa Yaiza – that we found to be much brighter and more cheerful (although more expensive) and decided to leave.

Had we been offered the Club room as soon as we asked I think we may well have stayed. However whilst spending a depressing night in the original room we also investigated other parts of the hotel which we found to be generally very quiet and lacking in atmosphere. The restaurant served a reasonable buffet meal but seated people in rows so close to others that it was impossible to talk without sharing your conversation with your neighbours. This together with strong wafts of a distinctive disinfectant in the lifts gave the whole place something of a residential home feel.

Clearly these views are not shared by many visiting the Volcan, who I am pleased had a more positive experience. I can certainly see the attraction of the low level nature of the hotel and the quirky interesting architectural style that had attracted us too. The locality of the Marina is also a big plus. If however the standard of your hotel room is an important part of your holiday I would suggest if you are considering the Volcan that you investigate the Club rooms which cost more but appear to be significantly better.

Room Tip: Consider paying more for a Club room - cleaner, brighter, better views.
2  Thank Sarah K

Dear Guest

We truly apologize that you were not satisfied with any of the hotel room options we offered during your stay.

We are very sorry that you decided to change to another Hotel.

We hope that, after all, you spent a nice holiday in the island of Lanzarote.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Ok, so I did what most bods do and read plenty of reviews on Trip Advisor and other review sites before booking this hotel. It was clear that there was a lot of issues on two main areas....the coldness of the pools, and that this hotel was more 4 stars than 5. I also read much about the lack of varied choice of the evening meals and lack of cleanliness. So, here's my penith worth.

On arrival at the airport we were met by the transfer company booked at time of booking. It was obvious this was low season as there was just the two of us in the minibus for the transfer. It took roughly 40 mins or so to the hotel. Prior to arrival I emailed the hotel and requested a room that had been recommended prior. As you would expect, they said they would do what they could, but couldn't promise. However, once there, they did indeed give us the requested room. 511, high up, with a lovely sea view. Yes it was a trek from the pools and restaurants, but as that was to be our only exercise on this break away, so we didn't mind. But please be mindful if unsteady on your feet.
The room was lovely, large bed, two pushed together to be exact. Bathroom very nice with a few nice touches such as a scented candle and rose petals scattered around. (They clear them away the next day).
The surroundings were lovely, a chapel entrance with accompanied Gregorian chant like singing with candles along each side, weird, but kinda peaceful.
The pools were lovely, they sort of weave around the restaurant areas on two levels. Both, as have been reported, were freezing.....I usually can deal with cold pools, you get used to it, but this really was painful. I eventually braved it on the last day...my own dare really. This does need to be sorted as there is a reason why two huge pools were practically empty every day! You are issued with a token for your towels for the sunbeds that you collect from the spa....this is not the sign of a 5 star hotel. It's not a major issue, just one to note.
We ate at the main restaurant 4 times, yes it can look rather like Groundhog Day, but realistically, if you can manage to try all that is on offer, you would return home a damn sight bigger! We found it really good. There was much to choose from to shake it up each night. As for the breakfasts....great! A diverse choice of food and beverages, even Cava and Bloody Mary should this be your want, at the end of the day...it's five o'clock somewhere.
The poolside restaurant was very good. We ate there most days, great tapas type food as well as full plate food. The only issue we had was on a day when they were busy. The staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed and understaffed. This meant us sitting waiting for a drink for 35 mins and our food was almost an hour in the making. The waiter also was a bit slap dash when placing things on the table....just as well we could catch. But that was only on one day, so I guess we can forgive him.
The spa is nice, there is a 7 euro charge, however the steam room was out of order, so that was a shame, but we spent a little time in the pool area just for a bit a a swim really due to the outside pools being sooo chilly!
The wifi in the hotel is very poor, you can only get a signal in the lobby really, and it was very slow....saying that, it saved us from reading our work emails.
All in all a very peaceful stay as it was low season....a great plus for us. It was relaxing and did just the job. We would consider going back. But I have to agree with most reviewers, this is more of a 4 star than 5 star hotel.
As for the location, well this was perfect. A great marina called Rubicon, with lovely shops and restaurants. One to recommend was an Italian called Il Commendatore. Great veal, and lovely people. The shops were nice boutiques, plus one or two nice nicky nacky shops to wander around.
Would I recommend?.....yes, but for me, only in the low season.

5  Thank Christine H

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your holidays in THe Volcán Lanzarote.

We sincerely appreciate that you have enjoyed the Hotel and recommend it to other travellers.

In addition, I have taken note of your suggestions with regards to the things you feel should improve. Thank you for letting us know where we should spend our efforts to improve our quality of service.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just to get the one negative out of the way. The main pool is cold, and I mean testicles for earings cold!! A real shame in such a great hotel that on a hot day after a dusty trip to the volcanic desert that we couldn't spend 20 mins in the pool. This is suppose to be a 5* hotel, my experience of 5* hotels is that they have more regard for the customers comfort and use of facilities than this, it comes up time and again in reviews so I think Volcan should own up and deal with it.
On the up side this place is perfectly situated a short walk from beaches, bars, restaurants and the marina so you're never stuck for something to do (I really would reccomend the Blue Note for great live music, good food and excellent service).
Our sea view room was wonderful and the staff treated us to 2 bottles of bubbly for our 30th Anniversary (thank you). Breakfast is really very good indeed with a better than usual buffet choice and accomodating egg chefs. Also an endless supply of Cava (white and blush) is available for a bubbly or bucks fizz start to the day as is vodka etc should you fancy a bloody mary.
Everything about the public realm of the hotel is stylish and the staff pretty much spot on to a person. The spa seemed somewhat underused our week but my wife and I spent a cloudy morning in the spa baths and sauna which I thought was excellent value at 7Eu per day so I'd give this a look if the frozen main pool etc leads you to look at an indoor option.
On the whole Lanzarote was great, this area in particular really enjoyable and the Hotel pretty much faultless once past the pool. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I'd go for a seaview rooms with balconey. Some G floor rooms seemed a little close to pools/wal...
1  Thank Kim172
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review about your experience in the Hotel and for recommending THe Volcán Lanzarote to other travellers.

It has been our pleasure to have had you in the Hotel, and we look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you want a peaceful relaxing holiday without anyone hounding you to to join in activities or games then this hotel is ideal,it is situated right next to the harbour where you can wonder round at your leisure and stop for a coffee at the various restaurants/cafés .we found our standard double room to be nice and clean and roomy with balcony that looked out over the harbour and complex.the staff were very helpful and polite,we only did bed and breakfast so cannot review the dinner but the breakfast choice was very good.If you want an hotel with lots of action then this isn't the one to go to but if you want quality time in a lovely setting then this would be a good choice.

2  Thank john s

Dear Guest

Thank you for letting us know your opinion about your experience in THe Volcán Lanzarote.

We are very pleased that you had a peaceful holiday and hope to have you again in the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our first holiday without our daughter, so we wanted something special. It took many hours of research so we hoped we had made the right choice. It was hard leaving our daughter & after a delayed flight we were quite tense by the time we arrived. We were greeted by a member of staff who took our bags & led us through the large entrance. I could instantly feel the tension lift. Its hard to give recommendations because people have different wants from a holiday. All I can say is that this hotel fit us perfectly.
We had read previous reviews that suggested you can sometimes get a free upgrade if its quiet and we joined The Club on the hotels web site for this. You also get a day pass for the spa. However, rather than risk it, we paid extra for a guaranteed sea view at the time of booking & our room overlooked the marina so well worth it.
The hotel was lovely & quiet but we are used to going away in august so I dont know how it would compare in the school holidays.
We liked the layout of the hotel which wasnt the usual high rise with sunbeds packed around the pool. The hotel has used the gardens & other tucked away areas to provide an alternative for those who dont want to necessarily be next to the pool.
Food was fab, we did half board. My husband likes plain so even if he didnt fancy anything already cooked in a sauce, he could have something cooked on the griddle. Even at breakfast, the eggs were cooked fresh while you waited. Again, I don't know if this is the case in the madness of the school holidays. Although the food was lovely, there are enough resturants nearby if you want to eat out.
The hotel is in a lovely setting in the marina, much nicer than in playa blanca town. We were choosing between this hotel & the dream castillo & were pleased with our choice in every way. We passed the other hotel on a walk & it was too far out from everything & appeared very busy.
If you have children or just love the beach yourselves its not ideal. The nearest beach is about 10-15 mins walk but its quite small to accomodate the area it services. It was busy when we passed so I can't imagine it in august! Maybe this hotel will always be a little quieter because it isn't near the beach?
We found all the staff to be very pleasant & happy to help.
We could only stay for 5 nights due to other commitments & not wanting to leave our daughter for long for the first time, so we didnt go too far, just wanted a chill & thats exactly what we got.
We have never stayed 5* so cannot compare. All I know is that we felt we had a bit of luxury & we were well looked after. We were stunned to find bathrobes & slippers in the room, not having had anything like that before. That said I can see something in what other reviewers have said. The rooms do look a liitle tired but are spotlessly clean. There was paint flaking off parts of the pool. I suppose those used to 5* star feel qualified to comment but they were small things to us & didnt make much of an impact being overshadowed by everything else that was good.
We would definately go back to this hotel but this was a special treat for our first childless holiday in 18 yrs so not sure when we can afford it again....funding university come september!

Room Tip: Depends what you want. We had a high floor with a view of the marina. Room 604 & it was fab! If...
4  Thank kfletch2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed report about your stay in THe Volcán Lanzarote.

We sincerely appreciate that you have rewarded us with the best possible rating. We are very pleased to read that you will return to the Hotel.

It has been a pleasure to have you here and we hope to meet you again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Volcan for the middle two weeks of June. The first week had low occupancy but got a lot a busier in the second.
We had a great stay throughout. Room 407 was a standard double room and was large and comfortable with a huge bed.
A nice touch on arrival was the rose petals in the bathroom. The standard of finish was good and the rooms cleaned daily.
We only had breakfast which always good and the selection huge. A bonus is the wheat free bread selection which my wife who is coeliac really apprecited.
The room was quite close to reception so the wifi worked for us.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and always said hello when you are passing.
We both used the spa which was very good but a little hard to locate...some better signage would be helpful.
There were quite a few wheelchair users staying and access for them seemed pretty good although some of the slopes are a bit steep.
The pools are cold but without heating what do you expect...the pools are cleaned every day.
There are some signs of wear and tear about but nothing to detract from the overall experience.
We went for two weeks of hassle free relaxation and got exactly that.
The hotel backs onto the Rubicon Marina which is also great.
Don't obsess about the 5 star thing just go to the Volcan and enjoy yourself.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adyandsue

Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in THe Volcán Lanzarote.

It has been our pleasure to have you here with us, and we look forward to have you again in the future.

Thank you very much for recommending us to other travellers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
H10 Lanzarote Princess
H10 Lanzarote Princess
#14 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!