“not a 5 star”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
London
“not a 5 star”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm not sure how the hotel can claim to be a 5* , it isn't. I can see how it may have been at one time, but those days are in the past, it is now a reasonable middle of the road 4*. I think this was built to be a 5 star hotel but the new owners have cut back massively on staff, shut the Club Volcan, and generally cut back where they can. There is no poolside service (except for a few metres from the only daytime bar), the restaurant has one waiter and one chef, the main bar has one staff member in the evenings and he can't cope with more than 3 customers at once (and they ran out of , the only, draught beer twice in a week during my stay) and the buffet evening meals are a million miles from 5* eating. The funniest demonstration of their cost reduction plan was the billing of two nights a week as "Chill out night" = no entertainment / live music, comical.

But, it is a lot cheaper than the Princess Yaiza (a real 5*) so you get what you pay for, the facilities are good (if in need of some TLC) , you won't starve to death and the grounds themselves are nice. The staff (if you see them) are nice, really great with children but don't seem to speak much English or anything but Spanish.

I might even go back now that I know I am paying for and getting a 4* holiday, my 2 year old had a ball, the bars / restaurants etc nearby are far nicer than the ones in Playa Blanca, the pools are nice and there is plenty of room. But if you're expecting fine dining each evening, forget it. If you're expecting 5* niceties like wifi, attentive poolside service, turndown service, a stocked mini bar etc... go elsewhere

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Shambobala
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations during your holidays.

In your review you comment that you may return because you liked our facilities and location; this is the best opportunity we have to try to change your perception of the Hotel during your future holidays.

Should you decide to return, please feel free to contact me prior to your arrival in order for me to ensure that you have an excellent holiday.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just come back from a 7 night stay in the hotel. The staff were first class, very friendky and helpful. Rooms bright and large, plentty of room a little like a mini suite. Roim service superb, well looked after and extremely.
swimming pools very clean. All facilities in amongst beautiful palm trees and foliage
large and airy and food very good especially breakfast. Evening meal could have had a wider choice.
l
Location in marina area away frim the hustle and bustle of playa blanca and the British bars and restaurants. Very good shops and bars on marina front. Very good promenade for walking to Playa Blanca which has a couple of sandy beaches.
entertainment mediocre but just right for us.
I would recommend this hotel if you want 5 star service and food and an hotel slightly out of the noiser part.

Room Tip: We did not pay extra for a sea view and our room was better than most as it was at the end not overl...
1 Thank Pauline L
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much with rewarding us with a rating of 5 out of 5 points.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your holidays in the Hotel, and look forward to have you again in the near future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We really enjoyed our 3 nights at Hotel Volcan and felt that the hotel represented very good value for money. We had a pleasant room with a balcony, it was clean, comfortable and a good size. The pool is huge, it wasn't the warmest but I didn't find it to be uncomfortably cold either (let's not forget, it's still fairly early in the season....). The breakfast buffet was good with a huge range of choice. Didn't eat dinner at the hotel so can't comment on that.

Welcome drinks were a nice bonus and a good opportunity to speak to the staff/ask questions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are a few activities to participate in each day if you like that kind of thing, I might have joined in with the cocktail making activity but we were only there for a few days and we wanted to get out and see the island.

We liked Lanzarote as an island, it's very interesting. It's extremely cheap to rent car so I'd definitely recommend getting out to see the sights whilst you are there.

The location of the hotel is excellent, we much preferred the Marina area of Playa Blanca to the busier/more touristy central part, it felt more up-market. There are plenty of good restaurants/tapas bars in the marina area as well and its only a 20 minute walk along the promenade to central Playa Blanca if hustle and bustle is what you are after.

I read some comments on trip advisor that disputed the hotel's 5 star status. I would tend to agree that it lacks a certain element of luxury/finesse required of 5 star hotels in the UK, however, given the relatively low price one should probably go expecting that. It's a good hotel, I would stay again if we return to Lanzarote though I am now keen to see what the other Canary Islands offer.

2 Thank Alison D
Dear Guest

Thank you for mentioning that you would book a room in the Hotel if you return to Lanzarote.

We truly appreciate that you consider THe Volcán Lanzarote a Hotel of great value.

preston
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from a weeks break at the volcan This is the second visit in 12 months and our experience this time is not as good as the first. For ease of reference I will bullet point each issue:

1. As always arrival meet and greet and staff excellent in particular the waiter who runs the lunchtime snack area.
2. Room was worn and looking shabby. We stayed in rm 272 curtains stained and in need of a clean on arrival the floor had not been cleaned properly as I had to pick up bread pieces.
3. Plaster around the main door is crumbling away.
4. Although our room was cleaned everyday tea/milk was not always replenished. I can only surmise that the cleaners are rushed.
5. During our stay the main pools were closed for maintenance and no notification was given. During our reminding stay the pool could not be used this was for 5 days.
6. The food was in my opinion this time around bland and lacked variety. Compared to the Dream Castello.
7. The toaster machines need to be replaced with equipment that is more efficient to cater for the volume.
8. On two occasions I had to clear my own plates.
9. Not enough staff on at weekend no visibility of the management at weekends.
10. No atmosphere in eating areas .....put some music on
11. Lack of daytime facilities to access a brew or drink .....hotel only has a small eating lunchtime only facility for guessed otherwise you have to wait till dinner.

The hotel clearly enjoys the location sitting on the rubicon marina and whilst we did enjoy are break compared to last year the hotel has lost its edge to be a 5 star hotel. Compared to the dream Castello hotel which we have also stayed at twice provides better accommodation food variety and value.

We spent a fair few euro at the Vulcan and it did not come up to our expectation this time very disappointed.

Room Tip: The rooms located to the right hand side of the hotel seem to be the ones in better condition
8 Thank sprkymike
HotelVolcanLanzarote, Director General at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest

We sincerely apologize not meeting your expectations during your holiday.

On the other hand, we thank you for giving us some tips and recommendations in order to improve the experience of our guest.
Nevertheless, we will hardly work in the points you mention and just in case you want to return once to our hotel, we will do a great effort to meet your expectations like the first time you stayed by us.

surrey, uk
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Volcan Hotel, we had seen this hotel whilst in Playa Blanca a few years ago and decided to book after finding a very good deal. So glad we booked as feel totally relaxed from our holiday. The staff were all very friendly but professional, I wasn't sure what to expect re the bedrooms but we were pleasantly surprised.
They were a very good size and had everything you could want.
Regarding the food, I can not fault the breakfast offerings, there is something for everyone.
Most lunch times we ate at the Yaiza restaurant where they offered a good variety of lunches from sandwiches, salads to pizza plus other dishes at a very good standard. There were a couple of days where there was a long wait as they were extremely busy, but that didn't worry us. We only ate at the main restaurant twice in the evenings as we preferred to eat at the Marina which is literally on your doorstep.
We left the hotel yesterday when it was getting busier with families so glad we were there in the quieter time. Would I recommend? Yes I would and would love to go back.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank fimccsurrey
Dear Guest

It has been our pleasure to have taken care of your holidays.

We thank you for recommending THe Volcán Lanzarote to other travellers. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I hesitate to take an alternative view, but having based our hotel choice on so many very positive reviews we were genuinely disappointed. The welcome was good with friendly greetings, a drink and our cases despatched efficiently. However, our high expectations were dashed as soon as we saw our room which felt gloomy and slightly seedy – rather than the light, bright, boutique type feel we were anticipating.

Our first disappointment was that the ‘sea view’ we had paid extra for was mainly obscured by a mix of buildings. Whilst it was not a totally unpleasant outlook, it a far cry from the seascape vista we had anticipated. The balcony was just big enough to seat two and felt small & boxed in by the surrounding buildings.

It was however the room interior that was the main disappointment – a room that felt a poor reflection of its glory days. The fabrics had clearly seen a lot of use - the bed counterpane and drapes looked faded and worn and well past their ‘best before’ date. The valance was stained around the bottom and the bedding slightly askew to reveal a hairy blanket – the sort of bed you feel hesitant about getting into! The sofa and chairs also looked past their best and were dotted with small marks and stains. On the plus size both the bedroom and bathroom were large and it was easy to imagine how good they had once looked with tiled blue and white flooring. However the bathroom taps/shower fittings (together with ‘retro’ bidet) had long since lost their shine and the bath, was ringed around the top with lime scale deposit that comes with years of use. Against this backdrop it was not difficult to imagine that the dried rose petals scattered around the room were equally old and dusted off between each new arrival!

Having requested an alternative room we were eventually (after a fairly long wait in Reception) shown two others that were of similar standard – even a quick look around revealing stained seating covers and what appeared to be cigarette burns on the wooden furniture
We were assured that no better rooms existed and it was only the following day when our rep stepped in that we were offered a ‘Club’ room which was much cleaner and brighter. The Club is apparently not usually open in June (which seems a missed opportunity for the hotel and customers alike). By that stage we had already seen a hotel we much preferred – the Princesa Yaiza – that we found to be much brighter and more cheerful (although more expensive) and decided to leave.

Had we been offered the Club room as soon as we asked I think we may well have stayed. However whilst spending a depressing night in the original room we also investigated other parts of the hotel which we found to be generally very quiet and lacking in atmosphere. The restaurant served a reasonable buffet meal but seated people in rows so close to others that it was impossible to talk without sharing your conversation with your neighbours. This together with strong wafts of a distinctive disinfectant in the lifts gave the whole place something of a residential home feel.

Clearly these views are not shared by many visiting the Volcan, who I am pleased had a more positive experience. I can certainly see the attraction of the low level nature of the hotel and the quirky interesting architectural style that had attracted us too. The locality of the Marina is also a big plus. If however the standard of your hotel room is an important part of your holiday I would suggest if you are considering the Volcan that you investigate the Club rooms which cost more but appear to be significantly better.

Room Tip: Consider paying more for a Club room - cleaner, brighter, better views.
2 Thank Sarah K
Dear Guest

We truly apologize that you were not satisfied with any of the hotel room options we offered during your stay.

We are very sorry that you decided to change to another Hotel.

We hope that, after all, you spent a nice holiday in the island of Lanzarote.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Ok, so I did what most bods do and read plenty of reviews on Trip Advisor and other review sites before booking this hotel. It was clear that there was a lot of issues on two main areas....the coldness of the pools, and that this hotel was more 4 stars than 5. I also read much about the lack of varied choice of the evening meals and lack of cleanliness. So, here's my penith worth.

On arrival at the airport we were met by the transfer company booked at time of booking. It was obvious this was low season as there was just the two of us in the minibus for the transfer. It took roughly 40 mins or so to the hotel. Prior to arrival I emailed the hotel and requested a room that had been recommended prior. As you would expect, they said they would do what they could, but couldn't promise. However, once there, they did indeed give us the requested room. 511, high up, with a lovely sea view. Yes it was a trek from the pools and restaurants, but as that was to be our only exercise on this break away, so we didn't mind. But please be mindful if unsteady on your feet.
The room was lovely, large bed, two pushed together to be exact. Bathroom very nice with a few nice touches such as a scented candle and rose petals scattered around. (They clear them away the next day).
The surroundings were lovely, a chapel entrance with accompanied Gregorian chant like singing with candles along each side, weird, but kinda peaceful.
The pools were lovely, they sort of weave around the restaurant areas on two levels. Both, as have been reported, were freezing.....I usually can deal with cold pools, you get used to it, but this really was painful. I eventually braved it on the last day...my own dare really. This does need to be sorted as there is a reason why two huge pools were practically empty every day! You are issued with a token for your towels for the sunbeds that you collect from the spa....this is not the sign of a 5 star hotel. It's not a major issue, just one to note.
We ate at the main restaurant 4 times, yes it can look rather like Groundhog Day, but realistically, if you can manage to try all that is on offer, you would return home a damn sight bigger! We found it really good. There was much to choose from to shake it up each night. As for the breakfasts....great! A diverse choice of food and beverages, even Cava and Bloody Mary should this be your want, at the end of the day...it's five o'clock somewhere.
The poolside restaurant was very good. We ate there most days, great tapas type food as well as full plate food. The only issue we had was on a day when they were busy. The staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed and understaffed. This meant us sitting waiting for a drink for 35 mins and our food was almost an hour in the making. The waiter also was a bit slap dash when placing things on the table....just as well we could catch. But that was only on one day, so I guess we can forgive him.
The spa is nice, there is a 7 euro charge, however the steam room was out of order, so that was a shame, but we spent a little time in the pool area just for a bit a a swim really due to the outside pools being sooo chilly!
The wifi in the hotel is very poor, you can only get a signal in the lobby really, and it was very slow....saying that, it saved us from reading our work emails.
All in all a very peaceful stay as it was low season....a great plus for us. It was relaxing and did just the job. We would consider going back. But I have to agree with most reviewers, this is more of a 4 star than 5 star hotel.
As for the location, well this was perfect. A great marina called Rubicon, with lovely shops and restaurants. One to recommend was an Italian called Il Commendatore. Great veal, and lovely people. The shops were nice boutiques, plus one or two nice nicky nacky shops to wander around.
Would I recommend?.....yes, but for me, only in the low season.

5 Thank Christine H
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your holidays in THe Volcán Lanzarote.

We sincerely appreciate that you have enjoyed the Hotel and recommend it to other travellers.

In addition, I have taken note of your suggestions with regards to the things you feel should improve. Thank you for letting us know where we should spend our efforts to improve our quality of service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
H10 Lanzarote Princess
H10 Lanzarote Princess
#13 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!