We have just returned from our second visit to the Hotel Volcan in Playa Blanca.
The hotel is situated very near to the Marina Rubicon, where there are lots of lovely restaurants, cafés and tapas bars (and also some clothes and accessory shops and a couple of supermarkets). The beach at Playa Dorada is a short walk away along the seafront and you can continue along this seafront walk-way and be in the centre of Playa Blanca in less than 20 mins.
The hotel is built into the hillside and is spread over 5 floors. We had a lovely, spacious 2 room suite with a view over the Marina and the sea. Despite the hotel being full there was sufficient public space to not feel crowded; and given the geography of the hotel, there is very little noise from adjacent rooms and we did not feel overlooked on our balcony. The only caveat I would say is that if you have limited mobility or you are using a pushchair please phone the hotel before you go to check the accessibility of your room, as not all rooms are accessible by lift.
The bedroom was very large, nicely furnished and accessorised as was the bathroom (with a large shower, a separate bath and lots of lovely bath salts, shampoos, shower gels, scented candles and fresh flowers).
We ate in the hotel poolside cafés most lunchtimes and the food was good and reasonably priced eg approx €6 for a club sandwich, salad and fries that you could share between 2 people.
The breakfast, included in our package was self service buffet style catering for all tastes. Cold plates, fruits, omelettes cooked to order plus cava and vodka for Bloody Marys. On a couple of mornings there were speciality tables with hand cut Serrano hams, Canarian delicacies and sweetmeats.
Again, although the hotel was busy, breakfast was a well managed affair and we did not have to wait to be seated and there was no rush to leave the dining room.
The staff were well mannered, courteous and professional. The entertainments team provided activities for children and adults. They were enthusiastic and great fun. There were opportunities to take part in activities as diverse as wine tasting, Zumba, oil painting and Pilates.
We went with 2 teenagers and had a brilliant holiday at the Hotel Volcan. It was a relaxing break. The staff were attentive, but not overbearing. The management are keenly aware that there is competition and are happy to go the extra mile to ensure that you are having a wonderful holiday. Completely unprompted, they surprised me during the holiday- by sending me a bottle of Cava on my birthday! They must have noted my dob from my passport on arrival and arranged this, which was a lovely gesture.
The only downsides, which apply to other hotels that I have used in Playa Blanca, are i) the pools are a little on the cool side and ii) wi-fi is limited around the hotel (although it is free and accessible in the hotel lobby).
We would not hesitate to return to the Volcan and would recommend it for either a couple or a family holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote is placed in the South of Lanzarote, the island of the volcanoes. This is a five-star-resort that is distinguished by its excellence and its privileged location. With the yachting port Marina Rubicón at its feet and facing the sea, you will find this spectacular hotel designed as a typical village of Lanzarote. At it you will admire the distinctive architecture of the island. But you will also discover true replicas of emblematic places of the island like the church of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in Teguise at its entrance, or La Geria at its solarium. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote disposes of 255 rooms, five pools, four restaurants, three bars, conference rooms, a spa center and a gym. In addition, in Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote you can enjoy a new exclusivity concept at its Club Volcán, an area only for adults. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote features 255 rooms that are distributed over twenty typical houses and give magnificent views of Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Lobos Island. Designed taking care of every detail and where the sea blue colour stands up, we put at your disposal three room categories: the comfortable Double Room (Garden View, Sea View, Pool View), the elegant Junior Suite (Garden View, Pool View) and the outstanding Suite (Garden View, Sea View, Pool View). Following a new concept of luxury and privacy, we dispose of 48 rooms that form the Club Volcán, exclusively for adults. In the categories Double, Junior Suite and Suite, every room enjoys spectacular sea views. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote puts at your disposal a wide range of entertainment, sports, leisure and relaxing offers, providing an exquisite treat and service. Moreover, from the hotel you can directly access Marina Rubicón, which disposes of an ample shopping and leisure area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Playa Blanca
- Sol Melia Playa Blanca
- Gran Melia Volcan Lanzarote
- Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote Playa Blanca