“Fab Hotel !”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Aberdeen
“Fab Hotel !”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed here from 10th January to 17th for 1 week. The hotel was fab. We never paid for a sea view and was given a room in C Block. This is a huge hotel and takes a wee while to get around it. Room was lovely and lots of room. We have a baby so was plenty of room for his cot without it getting in the way. The weather was absolutely fabulous when we were there. We certainly choose a good week. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk to Playa Blanca Marina and then about 20 minutes into the centre where there is shops and restaurants etc. The hotel offers a courtesy bus which runs quite a few times a day which is handy.

There are various bars and a new roof top bar which is fab but a little bit cold in January at night. There is also a Green Bar which is adults only which I felt was a bit rubbish considering we had a baby with us so I felt a bit annoyed at this since they had entertainment a few nights a week.

The cocktails are fab as well. I love a Coco Loco !!!

There is Cava at breakfast if you want and throughout the day.

We never struggled to get sun loungers at all.

There are 4 restaurants I think. Mexican, Chinese and the buffet restaurant plus Italian. We only used buffet and italian. The food choices were good. Better than any other all inclusive we have been to before.

I have to say one thing that annoys me about some of the reviews people leave about this hotel is that they dont like the fact that there is children there. All I can say is it is a family hotel and if you are not happy about it go to an adults only hotel. Simple.

We only did one trip when we were there and it was to the Texas Ranco Park which is good. You can swim with the sea lions if you wanted to which we did the year before. I would definitely recommend it.

All in all this is a fab hotel and I would definitely stay here again. Brillant choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in either A, B or C Block.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Thundercatsgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,807)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exeter Devon England UK
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The numerous positive and complimentary reviews posted on trip advisor do provide good testimony to this hotel. It was excellent value for money, we bought it as a package trip through First Choice. The only minor criticism I have is that the aerobic equipment in the gym is quite dated and battered, but it still works. Apart from that I would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Blocks A B and C provide excellent views across the bay.
3 Thank Whizzer50
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Just got home from a great weeks stay at Sandos Papagayo. Our room was great. We requested a room in block A,B or C by email a few weeks before we travelled and we got a great room in block C when we arrived,which we really appreciated. The views were great and room was quiet. The food in all the restaurants was really good and their was enough choice and variety. There is no water in rooms which is a shame,but there are plenty of water containers around the restaurants and no one minded people filling bottles. It would have be nicer though to have water in rooms.

The whole hotel was kept clean and tidy and it seemed well maintained.

There is one heated pool which was fine. The gym and spa are nice but gym equipment a little old now.

there is nice walk to Playa which takes about 40 minutes along the sea front.

We would definitely stay again.

Chris & Bev Durkin

Room Tip: Email in advance and request block C. The hotel will email back. They didn't promise to honour r...
3 Thank Chris D
Newport Gwent
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Excellent 4 star all inclusive hotel.
Quiet and enjoyable location with excellent sea views and views of Feurtoventura.
Outstanding room (625) recommended !
Exceptionally clean hotel with very helpful and hardworking pleasant staff.
Food was very good definately 4star quality with exceptional variety.
There were times when some of the meats were not cooked to my satisfaction but there was always alternative meat.
Great variety of fish some were too strong for me but I am not a great fish lover anyway.
Soups were disappointing.
Sweets were always very acceptable great variety, fresh fruit and high calorie cakes etc.
Beers and wines very acceptable spirits perhaps not as what I am used to namely branded whisky (which I just happened to have in my room) but the J.B. whisky was about the best in my opinion.
If you wanted branded spirits it would cost you 2 euros so no complaining there !
and if Ana served you she always gave a youthful smile !!
Only one warm pool out of 5 but warm enough to make use of.
Lovely long walks to the Marina say 25mins then onwards to PLaya Blanca another 35 mins .
Taxi back about 4 euros.
ENTERTAINMENT typical Spanish hotel BUT we enjoyed our nights in the piano bar where the talented pianist played several instruments...very enjoyable.
The main bar also had occasional entertainment in the form of a guitarist and singer and that was satisfactory.
The balcony outside the main bar was the highlight where we sat both day and night enjoying the sea views and the islands in the distance.
The outside stage was mainly used for childrens entertainment and we witnessed the enthusiastic animation team working hard but was not for us thanks !!
Two table tennis tables inside I recommend you take your own bats and balls.
My wife and I are well travelled and would definately return for a weeks break .
The complex is big and can be confusing on times to say the least but hey ho that became part of our holiday and laughed at each other on many occasion getting floors etc wrong !
This could be a 5 star hotel with some extra work the dining area should be organized in 2 sittings and seating arrangements replanned perhaps Sandos should call in Victor Gill from the Sandos San Blas in Tenerife and use his expertise to raise this hotel to the same 5 star standard (recommended hotel) as he was involved in the conception of his hotel.
I honestly do not recommend this hotel for disabled or easily confused persons.
Thank you each and everyone from Director to Cleaner and groundsman making our holiday enjoyable.
If any reader has found this review helpful please tick the box below as I want to see if I have not wasted my time and have helped or reassured fellow travellers.

9 Thank Steve G
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Don't want to be too boring with another great review for this hotel but I have to be honest and say it was a tremendous 2 weeks we had. The hotel acknowledged our request for a sea view and we got the C block on floor 4. Reception was friendly and efficient. Of course the first few attempts to get where we wanted to go with the size of the place was tricky but by the end of the fortnight we were zipping about.

Best things? Cleanliness, friendliness, food, drink, space, pool tables (I was the winner 10-6), location. We didn't pursue the entertainment but what we saw was very good with local musicians.

Having read many reviews there have been some complaints about the food and we certainly don't have it. Lots of food, tremendous staff. I appreciate that it could be busy some times and it took a bit of thought and organisation to get the food but it was entirely worthwhile. Only comment? I do enjoy the local tapas as it is nice but no complaint that the hotel didn't really cover that. I particularly loved the choice of soups.

The bars in the hotel we frequented were the Canarian, very comfy chairs and good wifi coverage and the Cool Bar, very friendly/generous staff (thanks Theresa). This is where I was defeated in the iPad Trivial Pursuit tournament!!

Room was big, clean and comfortable, especially the beds. Good powerful shower and provision of toiletries. The view from the balcony was tremendous and worth sittiing and watching the sunset! The cleaning of the room each day was lovely. P.S the room is where I lost the Hide and Seek Comp!

Location? A good walk away from Playa Blanca centre but by good I mean beautiful. 15 mins to Rubicon Marina which has nice cafes, bars, restaurants and hold a craft market Wednesdays and Saturdays. Well worth a visit. The walk has a number of benches where you can sit and stare out to a beautiful view. Another direction from the hotel makes you walk across volcanic tracks and down to beautiful beaches which are worth a visit unless the number of naturists (mainly elderly men) might put you off.

Once again - brilliant place to have a holiday.

1 Thank dpleith
Auchtermuchty, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Stayed here for a week on 13th January. Cannot fault this hotel. Nice and clean spacious rooms with excellent views. Food great, lots of choice. Drink flowed especially the JB!! Staff friendly and helpful. Disco a bit too busy for my liking LOL LOL but met a couple of disco dancers who kept the party going. Would definately recommend this hotel and planning to return there very soon. Would also recommend the trip to Timanfaya, very interesting and great views etc for photographs, But would pass on the Rancho Texas Wild West BBQ would rather watch an episode of High Chapparal!!!

Room Tip: Ask for pool/sea view block G
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Just back from a week long stay, with friends, at this hotel.
We wanted a quiet break, mostly adults, relaxing and a bit of sunshine. And we definitely got that.
The hotel is lovely and clean, as are the rooms and the service was perfect.
It was a special birthday for us and we arrived to a lovely bottle of fizz in the room which was a nice touch.
We had a walk along to the marina and playa blanca most days, just a nice stroll, there and back before lunch and the seafront path is in the sun all the way.
A special mention to Theresa in the chill out bar, she pours a very nice GnT!
The food was nice, Italian dishes cooked to order were lovely, plenty selection for breakfast and the snack bar did plenty for lunch. Beer/wine/sangria all nice and very drinkable.
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2013