“Doesn't live up to expectations”

H10 Timanfaya Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My wife and I were so looking forward to our early summer break at this hotel. Unfortunately, we were truly disappointed with our experience. We had paid extra for a sea view and for this to have been possible a dislocation of the neck would have been required. The room had clearly been refurbished however it was already starting to look tired and the bathroom was extremely dated. There is inadequate storage space for a double room. More drawers are required. We paid a deposit for the fridge and were given a key for this. The fridge did not require a key!! The fridge was moderately disappointing in that it didn't actually keep things cold. When I informed reception of this small though not unimportant fact I was met with a shrug of the shoulders. The communal areas of the hotel are pleasant though there appears to be a clash of styles in some areas eg reception, dining area. Despite Thompson claiming there are three restaurants in reality there are two. Though one can only be used once per stay. The food was excellent with a wide variety. The waiters in general were helpful though due to their lack of numbers and rushing around every meal was to the music of dropped cutlery. The pool is a pleasant area. However, unless you were prepared to alighten from your bed at 04:00 hrs it was a challenge to find a sun bed in the same post code as the pool. This is due to guests (some) placing towels on beds and not using them until after lunch. This was extremely annoying!! I spoke with the assistant manager re this and he informed me that they could do little to stop it, though they were waiting for some stickers which would be placed on sunbeds. I did empathise with the extremely pleasant assistant manager though surely a more proactive approach is required. On all inclusive you are only entitled to a small section of the menu in the pool bar.. This was essentially fast food. The pool bar staff were extremely rude and regularly went out of the way to avoid eye contact. Unfortunately, the reception staff shared some of these traits. In general I was aghast at how unhelpful they were. This is the first and last contact with the hotel. This needs to improve. The location of the hotel is spectacular, I wish I can say the same for the hotel. I am sure as with other reviews the manager will offer an explanation to some of these issues. But it is important that the reader is aware that this review is a genuine apraisal of our stay. Perhaps the hotel suffers from the wonderful images on the website. Of course the management will seek to use the most flattering images but it really does overpromise, hence disappointment is inevitable. A disappointing stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Marsim12
VazquezRomero, Director General at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Marsim12,

Thanks for your time writing this comment.

First of all I´m sorry that you were not very happy with your holidays. It is a failure for us. We understand how important are your holidays and we do always our best to reach this goal.

200 hundred of our rooms are renovated and the other ones redecorated. In the bathrooms we just have put a new shower screen, taken the curtains away. They are not new, but must be very clean!.

We have 3 restaurants:
La Bocaina : buffet. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
La Geria, at the pool área. A la carte, Open for lunchs.
Kasbah, first floor. A la carte. Open for dinner 5xweek. Mediterranean-arabic.

Don´t worry about the sunbeds. We have enough for all guest, so, it is not necessary to get up early. In case of someday a guest doesn´t find a free sunbed, we will decide to take all towels away.. but in 6 years, always we found free sunbeds.

I´m sorry and surprise about your comments about my staff, specially waiters from the bar… All guests and me personally find them really nice and professional. Surely there was a mistake this you … I´m sorry for that.

I read every review and answer as many as possible. I always say we want guests 100% happy (thinking about this Tripadvisor rate: 5 points). If someone is not 100% happy, he should contact us in the hotel, and I resolve the mistakes or problems… or I give an explanation why is not possible what the guest wishes, for example: if has reserved an economy or standard room and wants to enjoy a renovated sea view room…
You can write your comments and keep your 70% happy… too late now… Say to us in the hotel why you are not 100% happy and we´ll work to get this goal.

Feel free to contact me in private for further information or comments.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week in May. I booked 2 superior sea view rooms on a bed and breakfast basis. I requested on booking that the rooms be as close as possible to each other. Check in was very easy and we had rooms next door but one to each other. Ideal. The view from the rooms was a wonderful sea view with the pool and gardens in our immediate view. These were great and well kept so made a fab view.

Our 2 rooms were both of a high standard and well cleaned. We loved the bar area and evening entertainment in the bar. Breakfast was great. There was a large range of high quality food. We sometimes had to wait a while to be served tea and coffee but this was understandable when they were busy. The coffee was pretty awful but everything else was great. We also ate regularly at lunchtime at the pool cafe. The food was pretty good and well priced, particularly the tortilla. We ate once in the evening at the main restaurant which was ok and once in the specialist restaurant which was again ok. The food was fine but nothing special. But as we were bed and breakfast and the breakfasts were fab we did not mind this. I would suggest not letting this put you off even if you are going to eat all meals in the hotel. The food was fine and the great things about the hotel make up for this.

The great things were the amazing and very personal service, particularly by carlos and his team in the bar, the lovely rooms, the great views, the fab pools and gardens, the 2 large shared ares by the pool for those who like the shade and don't want to fiddle all day with an umbrella. We spent a few hours each day by the pool. We didn't, as most people seemed to, go and put towels on our sunbeds before going t the pool. So on turning up at the pool at about 11 am each day we always found sunbeds and to be honest there isn't a bad location to be in.

I am very picky about hotels and loved this one. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank suepem

Dear suepem,

Thank you very much for your comment and for the time to write them.

I thank you specially your nice comments about my staff. Be sure Carlos will get a copy of this.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the H10 Timanfaya Playa Blanca for 5 nights in June 2012, actually during the UK school half term which as this is now a “couples” hotel makes no difference.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay but it wasn’t quite the experience that we were expecting based on the very flashy video posted on the website.

I booked direct with the hotel and went for the “Privilege” option. On arrival we went to the main desk to check-in and was sort of greeted by Roza who a few steps into our check-in noticed that we were Privilege Guests and said we needed to move to the left of the check-in desk, so we moved to the left sat down expecting someone else, but instead Roza came moved round the back of the desk and carried on checking us in – bizarre.

Even though we were the only people checking-in we received a barrage of information mainly on poorly photo copied pieces of paper in a very quick period of time with no explanation, plus I had to pay 10 EURO deposit for my safe key and mini-bar key even though I was already paying 130 EUR at night, full payment was collected up front not just a card swipe and settle at the end, didn’t feel very 4 star or privilege to have to pay upfront like a cheap B&B.

The room was very pleasant again not quite the fabulous room on the website, but very well presented , great sea view. Then the small niggles started, I’d been given the wrong key for my safe, so had to get security up, just when I had fallen off to sleep a guy turns up to fill up the mini-bar with my complimentary beverages ( why couldn’t this have been done before I’d arrived), then the coffee machine wouldn’t work so another call down to reception to be told the switch that turns on the socket that the coffee machine is plugged into is the middle one of three “light style” switch just inside the door and 30 feet away – how bonkers is that. Overall nothing too much of a problem but just too much hassle for a 4 star hotel.

The main dining room is another place that is good but just doesn’t quite work. On our first evening there was no explanation of how the restaurant worked, so my wife and I just sat at a table and looked around to see what everyone else was doing. Plus the head waiter who takes your drinks orders has got to be the most miserable guy I’ve ever come across, perhaps he and Roza could attend a customer service course together. Overall the food was very good, I’m not a lover of buffet style restaurants I think at 4 star I should be served at the table. Each evening had a different theme; the Japanese night in my view was a little bit of a strange choice not exactly what you call a main stream cuisine. Breakfast was very good except again it was a mission everyday to get any on the staff to bring you coffee, they seemed skilled in avoiding eye contact and more focused on clearing tables than providing service.

One night we went to the specialist restaurant, This was a lovely meal set in a very beautiful room – highly recommended, although again the experience was spoilt a crazy event. As I sat down at the table I ordered a Gin and Tonic a fairly standard pre-dinner drink, only to be told that I couldn’t have one as they didn’t have a bar in the restaurant, when I asked for one to be fetched from the main bar I was told that would not be possible unless I went with the waiter to sign for the drink three floors up. The guy was obviously hugely embarrassed so I just dropped it.

The privilege lounge was an excellent facility; however the fact that every day I had to leave the lounge to go to reception to get that’s day wi-fi code was annoying. The entry into the privilege lounge is restricted so why not have that days code available within the lounge, another simple thing that lets the place down. Plus the carpet around the drinks area was very dirty and the air condition only had two settings either off or sub-arctic.

Some positives, beautiful gardens, lovely clean pool areas, very quiet and relaxing, the common areas were very comfortable. Some more negatives, no water one afternoon in my room for 3 hours, very noisy and dusty pool maintenance one day slow service at the main bar.

Overall this is a very beautiful hotel with lots of excellent features but my visit was spoilt by some lack of attention to detail and some poor quality staff.

Would I go back? – No. Would I recommend it? – Probably only just yes.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JonLLondon

Dear JonLLondon,

Thank you for your time for writing this review.

As in general you have written very nice comment, I´ll just answer the negative ones:

Payment by the check-in: Yes. All guest coming directly have to pay by the check-in, in most of holidays hotels in the Canary Island. It is a general guarantee. . In case you come by tour operator, we have the voucher as guarantee, the tour operator pays the stay. It is the same in rent a car, flights, trains.... The posivite thing in H10 Hotels, if they have to check-out before for any case, we don´t keep the whole amount, we give the difference back.

We don´t prepare the minibar previously. We have to be sure the room is occupied by a privilege guest, because the other minibars have no drink inside and, even more, they are locked.

The Kasbah Restaurant is a little nice restaurant. We don´t offer coffee or drinks after dinner. You have 2 bars to enjoy this drink after dinner: piano bar or show bar. If we offer drinks after dinner, surely we can not offer a high standar service in this restaurant as we now offer.

In case your change your mind and come back to our hotel, feel free to contact me.

Jose Angel Vazquez

Reviewed 12 June 2012

This review should have been written last December but I was so traumatised by the whole event I tried to put it out of my mind.
I still have the list of 25 problems, some by themselves small but when several happen you start to make a list of everything. Also bear in mind we had paid extra to be 'Priviledge Guests'.
1. 10 clothes hangers in the double wardrobe - for 2 people on a 2 week stay in a 'Priviledge' room.
2. When I tried to phone for more it did not work as the connection had been smashed against the wall, probably by the maid.
3. Despite paying extra for concierge service it took two trips to reception to have our luggage delivered.
4. The door to the balcony did not shut properly.
5. The previous guests swimming trunks were still out on the balcony.
6. Despite being told that as 'Priviledge Guests' we had refurbished rooms, there were cigarette burns on the bedside cabinets and we were told they could not stop guests from smoking in the rooms, but there were smoke detectors! Also most of the laminate strips on the furniture were falling off. The fittings in the bathroom were old and in poor condition.
7.Coming back from complaining about some of the above we were confronted by the shower screen on the bathroom floor, no glass or tiles broken, just sitting there. Housekeeping denied all knowledge, despite it being clear they were in the midst of cleaning when it happened.
8. We had to ask for toilet rolls.
9.The much vaunted tea and coffee machine was never refilled without a trip to reception.
10. Despite a special request to reception for the express laundry service it took a day and a half and was returned with no explanation or apology.
11.Weighing scales in the bathroom did not work.
12.There was no information in the 'Information Folder'
13.As part of paying to be 'Priviledged Guests we should have received a daily newspaper. Sometimes it was at the little shop, sometimes, it was delivered to the room, sometimes it was at reception and sometimes we were merely greeted with a shrug. The shop in question where one could buy useful items like toothpaste, shower cream, tissues etc.( which were not supplied in the bathroom), was then turned into a handbag boutique.
14.The bar service only operated from 8.00pm. Not much fun if you were disabled, and a lot were, or elderly as even more were.
15.If, as an abled bodied guest you frequented the bar it was a nightly job to move the totally unsuitable new chairs and stools so that those less fortunate could move around.
16.Most of the comfortable and quite servicable furniture in the dining room was replaced with uncomfortable, badly designed chairs and tables. The new tables have grooves for collecting dirt and germs and the chairs have no back support, are wooden legged and the noise of about 100 being scrapped across the floor as everyone went for more food etc was torture.
17. The dining room service was very bad and the poor staff were totally unable to cope. It was very noticeable that when the going got tough, the management disappeared.
18. The food was poor, cold and certainly not up to 4 star.
19. The sunbeds by the pool were dirty.
20. There was 'tumble weed' ie balls of fluff behind the bedroom door.
21. The valance round the bed was very dirty.
22. The bins in the bedroom and bathroom disappeared and it was only as a' favour 'they were returned
23. The free internet/computer in the special 'Priviledge Room' did not work and no-one was interested in repairing it.
24. One of the gardners seemed to think it was appropriate to strim the grass in the garden at 11.30 am on a bright sunny day less than 3 metres from where guests were sitting, totally oblivious to the danger it could cause. It took my husband and several other guests to stop him.
25. Despite having specially requested,( for an already paid for service), for our luggage to be collected, as my husband had a suspected hernia, it took a phone call from our rep for it to happen.
Yes I did complain fairly early on and whilst Senor Vasquez, declined to meet me, he did arrange for us to change rooms and upgraded us to 'all inclusive'. I am sure that even now he will remember us as unfortunately for him he phoned just as we returned to the room and discovered the shower screen on the bathroom floor. A lot of these problems however were after we had moved rooms. We just could not wait to get away.
I watched this hotel being built and was very fond of it. This was our 4th and LAST VISIT.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank AdeleElaine P
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed there 3 times at various times of the year. Great place staff very friendly great location. Will be comming again this year. The walk to the lighthouse is a great way to burn off all the food u eat. Shame the gym is not very good of it was then the hotel would be 100%.
Regards

• Stayed: July 2011
5  Thank Ottolink
VazquezRomero, Director General at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Ottolink,

Thank you very much for your time and review.

I agree with you in all your comments, specially the walk to lighthouse is very nice.
I agree also with you comment about the gym, it is not as good as a gym in a town... it is just small for the basis. If someone comes to train in the gym... will not be happy...

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We were a group of four ladies on a weeks chill out in the sun.We chose the all inclusive option as we did not plan on doing alot. Champagne on arrival courtesy of Ben cant be bad) lovely big rooms with a double bed each. Spacious bathroom loads of hot water and a powerful shower. Very clean everywhere. Excellent food so much to choose from even for the one of us who is not very adventerous.Great staff incuding our Reps Jenny and Chris. Entertainment was of a very high standard and a good varierty. There is a piano bar on the same floor as reception so had more than one option for the evenings.Booked our a la carte meal not really knowing what to expect (never really bothered on other Thomson holidays) Lovely meal and surroundings to celebrate a special birthday. Possible negative was the lady who kept 3 sun loungers when she and her husband only used two!! No they were not british.However, two staff appeared with two more loungers so we could all sit together.If the hotel was busier more loungers would be needed. Definitely going back cant wait.

Room Tip: Did not use the Spa so cant say. We had a room on the 1st floor ours was the first room along the co...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Lesley L

Dear Lesley L,

Waw!, thanks a lot your your nice review and your time to write it.

I hope to meet you personaly, if we haven´t yet, in your next visit.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just returned from our first trip to Lanzarote and we stayed at the H10 Timanfaya Palace Hotel in Playa Blanca.

Overall the stay was excellent. The hotel is very comfortable and we found the hotel (H10) staff very amenable (even the reception staff, contrary to another review) and helpful.

The Thomson reps were a bit hit and miss to be honest. Jenny (new to Thomson I think) was really great, very helpful. Chris seemed like he wanted to be elsewhere most of the time, shame.

Hotel public areas very presentable and clean.

We had a room on the 5th floor, sea view. Lovely views but as in most hotels we find the rooms aren't quite to the standard of the public areas. Agree with some of the other reviews that there needs to be more storage space and better electrical socket placement (near mirrors - or so the wife tells me !).

My only real niggle with the hotel was the extra charges, which to be honest, if we had known these in advance would have been fine, but the fact that you get hit with them upon arrival just leaves a bad taste. For example, you have to pay for the safe and use of the fridge, both with refundable deposits, but in this day and age when you are spending in excess of £1k for a weeks holiday for 2, you should expect to get these things as part of the package. This didn't spoil it and we would definitely stay in the Timanfaya Palace again.

Some locality recommendations - take a walk, it's in a lovely part of the world. The Rubicon Marina is very nice as is the main part of Playa Blanca sea front, with bars an restaurants. We weren't looking for crazy nightlife and this resort suited us perfectly. It wasn't too quiet, still plenty of people around. It is a shame that a lot of "all inclusive" hotel packages appear to be affecting trade at the local bars though (we went half board and took a walk every night).

Oh and lastly. it is VERY windy. Suggest you take some clothes pegs to hold your towels down. And on that subject, there are lots of people reserving sun beds early in the morning and not using them until late afternoon. A real disappointment and I think the hotel management should look to do something about this (and btw, it's the Brits doing this !).

Room Tip: Sea view is really nice, but you will get a lot of very HOT sun mid- to late afternoon. Be warned.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank s_y_travellers

Dear s_y_travellers,

Thank you for your time and your review.

We have a new Thomson Rep: We keep Jenny (I agree with you, she is excellent), and a new one called Andy, with a big experience. They do a good team with my reception staff.

I´m sorry but in our rules we charge for the minibar and for the safe. Normally it happens in all holidays 4 stars hotels or low in Spain. Only 5 starts have it inclusive.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to H10 Timanfaya Palace? Share your experiences!