“Nice hotel lovely location”

H10 Timanfaya Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have just arrived back from our stay at this hotel in Lanzarote. I has a really lovely location and is very modern inside. Our room was on the 4th floor looking to the front right so we had a nice sea view and the mountains as well. The room was very quiet and kept very clean and although we had to walk a little way to get to the main reception and restaurant area we did not mind. The main food was buffet style and had quite a choice, if you go at lunchtime and not in the evening it is reduced though. Here is my only criticism which is about the service in the restaurant, the staff are really zealous on clearing the plates away from you sometimes before you have finished the last mouthful also on two occasions we went for dessert and on return f

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher level with sea view
1  Thank Julia R
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Julia R,

Thank for your review. I appreciate your nice comments.
I'm sorry that you were not happy with our restaurant service.

They are hard workers and I always tell them not to leave dirty dishes on the guets table, as it is buffet, normally the better service is to take the empty plates as soon as possible. In a la carte restaurant the waiter has to wait until all guests finish the meal... So, I'm sorry if you thought we wanted you to finish as soon as possible... and because of this you rated us as bad service.

José Angel Vázquez

Write a ReviewReviews (5,990)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have just returned from the Timanfaya Palace after our 9th visit. Always a good hotel it is now even better with additional facilities such as the under cover swimming pool. Even when full to capacity the grounds are so spacious that it never feels crowded. The variety of food on the buffet and 'Show Cooking' is so great that there is something to suit all tastes; the service in the dining room was excellent.

We had a sea view room which was modern and very nicely furnished; the maid service was very good and the room and balcony were always kept spotless. The beds were exceptionally comfortable and guaranteed a good nights sleep.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Although the hotel is some way from the centre of Playa Blanca it is a very pleasant walk along the sea front.

We hope to be able to return to the Timanfaya Palace many more times; it is our favourite hotel in our favourite resort.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are of a good standard and we have never found noise to be a problem; you cannot go...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank John K G
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear John K G,

Your our 9th visit in our hotel???. WAW!!, THANK YOU vey much.

Thank you for the nice review and your rate of 5 points.

I hope to see you many more timesin our hotel.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is a truly excellent hotel dating from 1996/7. It is located on the southern tip of Lanzarote facing the sea and Fuerteventura. Walk out of lower exits and you are on the prom overlooking the sea. Check-in was prompt and very well done complete with champagne.

The reception is on street level which is floor 4. Most of the hotel is on lower floors served by 3 lifts. The pool area is on level 1. Although I didn't check it, I think almost without exception just about everywhere within the hotel is accessible to wheel chairs, even if in one instance it requires exiting the hotel by one gate and using the path along by the sea to get to another gate.

The main restaurant operates buffet-style. Gluten free - no problem - just ask one of the managers and they will get the chef and a translator to ensure you get the information you need - they even provided gluten free bread and muffins. The choice is vast. I counted over 60 items that could be selected and combined for starters one evening. This number does not include soups, breads, sauces etc. Those not staying on an all-inclusive basis should note that whilst tea and coffee are available at breakfast, even water is chargeable for dinner.

There is an area at the far end of the main restaurant where food is cooked to order, often in the evenings this was a selection of fish. At breakfast this was often fried-eggs. At breakfast there is also a wide selection of juices and smoothies - in many cases freshly prepared. At the entrance to the restaurant at breakfast you could help yourself to a glass of champagne.

We didn't use the a la carte restaurant, as we rather liked being able to choose our meal from what we saw,

There are a couple comments I would make on the main restaurant. We stayed in the 3rd week of October when the hotel was full. Whilst we never had to queue, the restaurant was very busy and it would not be the place for a quiet candle-lit dinner for two! However I suspect the à la carte restaurant would be better suited here. Whilst the temperature in the restaurant was hot it was not too hot, however outside temperatures were in the mid to upper 20s when we stayed.

Whilst we didn't use the pools or sunbeds, they looked in good condition and well maintained. We noted several aids to allow disabled to use the pool.

We joined in a few of the activities. There was certainly no persuasion to take part. We were particularly impressed by the friendliness of the reps and staff. I sensed that any rep working at the hotel was expected to conform to the very high standards of the rest of the staff and there was genuine warmth from all we met - nothing artificial.

We booked direct with the hotel and separately booked a charter flight and a separate transfer. I suggest potential visitors check whether this is cost-effective for them or not. I think we saved a little. I would do so again, and did not encounter any downside to this approach.

We paid extra for a better room when we booked. I can't decide whether it was worth the extra or not as I have nothing to compare it with. We found a bottle of champagne on the first night and a bottle of red wine the second night. The towels in the bathroom seemed to be changed daily and the bedding was changed at least one during our week-long stay. There were other little touches, such as free use of the room safe and large TV in the room, daily weather forecast which might be attractive to some.

Our room had air conditioning, which seemed effective, although we didn't need to use it much.

On leaving there is a large room where luggage can be kept under lock and key. This enabled us to enjoy our last day as our pick-up wasn't until about 17:00.

If we decide to return to Lanzarote, this hotel will certainly be our first choice

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DorsetColinUK

Dear DorsetColinUK,

Thank you very much for your nice review and your rate of 5 points!.

You remind me a food&beverage manager with your comments and points on view... that good!! ;)

You are right with the main restaurant... when we are full (very often) it is a nice restaurat, but not a very romantic atmosphere... A quiet atmosphere we can find in the Kasbah restaurant.

Thanks again. Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is sadly not going to be the glowing review I was hoping I would leave for this hotel as I had very high hopes but we left at the end of our week feeling somewhat disappointed with our experience. Let me start with the positives:

This hotel is in a fabulous location, just 20 minutes walk along the promenade to central Playa Blanca and 2 minutes walk from a lovely parade of shops/restaurants and a small made made beach with lovely clear waters. It is very peaceful at night and has lovely views across the ocean. The layout of the hotel is good and has excellent accessibility for disabled guests which is not something I've seen in very many places, the pool even has hoists for getting guests in and out. The cleaners do a great job and are always polite and happy when you come across them. The hotel bars do fantastic cocktails and sangria and prices are not extortionate. The pool bar is very lovely and provides some great food so I highly recommend eating there at least one day if you can. The coffee at breakfast and fresh pastries are fabulous - I've never had such lovely coffee in a hotel (its usually awful) but this is fab. The under cover swimming pool is gorgeous and is going to be a massive asset to the hotel I think. It opened whilst we were there and within a day it was packed. Its warm and clean and a lovely place to have a swim.

Now, the negatives:

We booked a garden view room (room 015) as we do not spend a lot of time in our room on holiday so didn't see the point of forking out for a sea view - boy do I wish we had! The view itself wasn't a bother but the garden view rooms appear to be on floor 0 which is at the bottom of the hotel and subterranean. This makes it very dark and our initial room (I'll get to that...) was really, really dark even with all the lights on so if you can book a sea view room I would do so. The room itself was clean with a really large bed so that was all good but the bathroom was a different story - there was black mildew marks on the grouting which I'm assuming the cleaners could not shift and I expect this was because there was no working extractor fan in the bathroom (the towel rail was corroded too so this seems to be a long standing problem). As you walked in the door of our room it smelt damp and this got worse as the week went on. The bidet wasn't bolted down properly and when this moved there was grime to be seen - not particularly pleasant. We didn't complain initially because a) I don't like to cause a fuss and b) the hotel was fully booked so it seemed pointless, we just put it down to experience and got on with our holiday... until the ants arrived. One morning we woke up to find the bedside table covered in little ants and upon closer inspection they were all over the wall behind the bed and climbing up the headboard. I went to speak to the Thomson rep who said this was the first time she'd heard of anything like that which I don't believe to be true because there has been at least one previous trip advisor review mentioning this just a week or so prior to our visit and they also spoke to the rep about it so I'm not sure what that was all about but that is by the by and nothing to do with the hotel. Anyhow she said she would speak to the hotel and get it sorted. When we came back the cleaners had indeed been in and removed the ants from the bedside table but they were still climbing all over the wall and back of the bed and I couldn't sleep knowing that so I went back again to the rep and this time we were moved 4 doors down to room 011. This room was identical to the one we'd moved from but it just smelt so much better when you walked through the door - no damp smell and more importantly, no ants! I did find two ants in the bathroom but it was nothing like in 015 that's for sure and we spent the last 2 days of our holiday feeling a bit better about our room.

The hotel grounds are lovely but there were dead leaves in all the little 'rivers' that run throughout the grounds that were still there when we left and its a real shame because they're a really nice addition to the hotel grounds but not when full of dead leaves! The jacuzzi also had lots of plant life and other debris at the bottom too, it may seem pernickerty but I don't think it takes much to skim them daily.

The pools are absolutely freezing. When I read about that before I went I chuckled to myself because really, how cold can they be? I'll tell you: heart attack inducingly cold! I went in once and that was very short lived because I was starting to turn blue despite swimming at full speed! Stick to the indoor pool!

The restaurant was not hot like I'd been reading about so I'm not sure whether the weather had just cooled a lot whilst we were there or what but the temperature was perfectly fine. The organisation however is pretty bad - it's just a free for all with people approaching the central islands from all angles, pushing past you and generally bunching up and getting impatient when they can't get to the food they want. Not exactly relaxing and I would have thought putting a direction of flow sign in place might alleviate this but perhaps there is a reason this isn't in place, I don't know I just know it's not very well organised currently.

The neutrals:

The food is ok. I wouldn't say its great by a long shot but I could always find something to eat.

The clientèle is generally elderly and I felt very conscious even laughing around the pool because it was so deathly quiet! I'm not a loud person by a long shot but even I felt uncomfortable and people seemed very miserable, not even exchanging morning greetings which we found very strange. Not the hotels fault though. Our mistake perhaps for visiting in November when most people are back at work but just be aware that the average age of visitor is about 50ish (we are mid 30's).

Entertainment was ok although we didn't watch all of the shows - its a hotel and its hotel style shows.

Some staff are lovely (cleaners, reception staff and Carlos in the show cooking area) but some of the waiting staff seem very surly which takes the shine off things a bit.

We also found when we checked our bill that someone had allocated something to our room that wasn't ordered by us so I would definitely check your bill carefully. This was easily sorted by the hotel but do check.

There was nothing hugely *wrong* with this hotel but we just left feeling that it fell short of our expectations for a 4* hotel. We didn't expect luxury, far from it, but even so we still felt it fell short of a 4*. On the surface I'd say it looks like a 4* but the details are lacking. The best I can say is it was 'ok' - I guess I just want a bit more than 'ok' on my one holiday a year though.

Room Tip: Do pick a sea view room - garden view rooms are dark.
Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley K
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Hayley K,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your goods comments. Let me please go directly to the negative ones:

-I'm sorry that you were not happy with the room. You even say you book this type of room... If someone doesn't like the room, we can show them other room but the same type, we don´t upgrade to a better room than reserved, it is not fair for the guests that pay the better.
I´m sorry about many dead leaves... You know we are in Autumn and if you add to this that it is a bit winding... Even as we clean every morning, after 4 hous there are many leaves again, and during the day we just clean the ones on the water.

-"The pools are absolutely freezing"... Yes, they are, and in winter even colder... Because we don´t heat them, as we have a very nice indoor pool with the water at 28-29ºC, and we open it at 8:00AM.

-Thank you for your advices about how to organize the main restaurant.

I'm sorry that you think we are a short 4* and also I'm sorry that you were not 100% with your holidays.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

What a brilliant job you are doing.....don't ever leave....it was a pleasure to meet you. We stayed AI for 2 weeks in room 323 on 29th oct to 12th nov. Went on the recommendation of a friend and on reviews on Trip Advisor. This was a first for us. If, like us you have always stayed away from hotels for fear of poor experiences then all we can say is that this hotel will 'blow those fears away'. from the moment we arrived we knew we were in 'safe hands'. Jose, the general manager is at the helm of a very great holiday experience, guiding his staff with great care and it transmits through them to the way they treat the guests. We were amazed at how courteous, pleasant and willing they always were to our every enquiry. We also found some stars amongst the staff like Lenora, bar staff,so cheerful and never without a smile. Mohammed, restaurant, who pushed his trolley with clean plates etc quietly and effectively, weaving in and out so as not to get in the guests way, how unassuming and hard working.
Also, Kelli, entertainment organiser, who took on board all requests from us ,especially for some 70's music, what a great approachable person to have in that position!! The overall entertainment was very good however your resident duo Buendias (Helen and Gregg) were superb, professional and with a true passion for connecting with their audience. We enjoyed our room, the views, the food, the location and last but not least our thanks to all the cleaning and maintainance staff for helping to keep this fantastic hotel clean and safe.

Room Tip: high floor,sea view,
4  Thank Manchesterdim

Dear Manchesterdim,

I blush! I'm very shy ...!... : D Thank you very much for the compliments, I take them in the name of all my staff. We are a team working for you. I'm just the head, but the most important workers are they. If I let the hotel for 3 weeks for example, nothing happens... everything go perfect. Just imagine the garbage cleaner let the hotel just for 2 days... !!!. So, who is more important??. I'm just the leader, but I need everyone in my team. They are the best!!.

Thank you for your review and for your rate of 5 points.

See you soon. Knid regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2013

The main reasons for choosing this hotel apart from the excellent reviews, was that it was All inclusive and above all, Adults only. It made such a difference not to have children running around, not that we dislike them but as we are in the holiday business ourselves it is so nice just to have peace and quiet after a hectic summer.

The hotel seemed to be very well managed, the staff knew exactly what their roles were,also they seemed very happy therefore the service was excellent with hardly any waiting time in the bars or restaurant.

We had a sea view room on the second floor, which over looked the swimming pool, not that we were in the room very much it was very comfortable, the air conditioning was very noisy, plus the walls were thin and you could certainly hear your neighbours but asI took ear plugs it was not a problem, the bathroom had a very efficient shower with plenty of hot water.

The food in the restaurant was plentiful, it was not always to my personal taste,but I never went hungry, although sometimes it could have been hotter.The food and service in the pool bar was excellent.

The only disappointment we had with the food was in the Kasbah, we went there on the night of our wedding anniversary, and although the ambiance and service was good the portion size was dismal, I am not a big eater but my main course consisted of 2 small pieces of fish wrapped around a shrimp on a bed of minted pea sauce,it looked like a very small starter. However other people spoke very highly of it, perhaps I was unlucky.

The entertainment that we choose to watch was very good especially on our last night, Guitar Legends were fantastic, very professional and had the audience singing and dancing.

Although on our second week the weather was not the best we enjoyed some lovely walks to the Marina, Playa Blanca town and the Lighthouse.

Overall, it was a excellent hotel and a very relaxing two week stay, I would definitely recommend it and hope to return in the future.Many thanks to all the hard working staff who helped make our holiday so enjoyable.

2  Thank Anna5

Dear Anna5,

Thank you very much for your nice review and your rte of 5 points. Gracias!!.

I appreciata that you were very happy, and I'm sorry because of the Kasbah... Please, for the next time if you think it is not enough meal... ask for more, we won't charge extra.

General Manage

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a great week (8-15/11 )
Good service, friendly staff who always had a smile on his face .
(it was the only hotel manager who not greeted )
The room was nice , good beds, no noisy neighbours .
The hotel is beautifully situated near the sea and walking distance to downtown .
The pool area is beautiful with lots and comfortable sunbeds .
The new indoor pool with 29 degrees in the water was great .
We only had B & B, the breakfast was great (Cava every day was a bonus).
Next year we book all inclusive. The restaurants in the town center was not of any higher quality.
The entertainment at the piano bar in the evenings was often good (5 stars to Andy )
We rented bikes one day, booked through reception , worked perfectly.

2  Thank 3,572,001

Dear 3572001,

Thank you very much for your review and for your rate of 5 points. Thank you for writting so nice comments about our hotel and our staff.

I'm sorry, I don´t undestand this sentence :"it was the only hotel manager who not greeted", I don´t understand what you mean. I feel it is negative... if so, I'm sorry.

Thank you for coming back last year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Lani's Suites de Luxe
Lani's Suites de Luxe
#1 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
TUI SENSIMAR Natura Palace & SPA

Been to H10 Timanfaya Palace? Share your experiences!