“Best hotel on the island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Milton Keynes
“Best hotel on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We have been here four times. We always ask for the same room and we get it with views of the pools and sea. We went in July to celebrate my mother in laws 80th birthday. She was treated like royalty the provided her with a beautiful birthday cake with candles and a bottle of champagne a the table and one in her room at no extra cost. She had an amazing time. The food was outstanding the hotel clean and spacious. There is everything in the bathroom so you need not bring anything with you. All toiletries ti toothbrushes and paste shampoo, shavers etc lovely dressing gowns and slippers. Tea making facilities and everything you need. We always have a bowl of strwberries dipped in chocolate in our room on arrival. I can not fault this beautiful hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley H
PYaiza, Director of Operations at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear guest,

I´d like to thank you very much for trusting us in four occasions and for having chosen the Hotel Princesa Yaiza also this time as your place to stay during your holidays.

We appreciate you have taken your time to send your feedback and we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us again. It makes us to be proud of how we are doing our job in the hotel. The staff is always willing and focused on providing the best service to our guest.

Of course, we all do our best when having guests celebrating special moments with us, as anniversaries, weddings or honeymoons, we are really happy to celebrate these special moments with our guests, adn I´m happy to read you appreciate it.

We are looking forward to see you soon in Lanzarote very soon.

Best regards, and have a happy summer,

Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have just returned from a week here, travelling as a couple. I'm not quite sure where all the glowing reviews are coming from, because in our experience we came away underwhelmed.

I booked at 1 bed suite, and the check-in process was fairly quick but didn't actually explain where anything, including our room, was. Given how big this place is being left to try and navigate your way around seemed like a poor start. We were given the standard map which the receptionist crossed various locations on but it was next to useless. We had no idea where to get our breakfast from on the first morning until we stumbled across the buffet restaurants and even then we were told to use a different one to the one we walked into as it was closed (at 8.30am?!).

Our room suffered, like others have already written about, from having an inward facing bedroom and a view of a palm tree in front and a bit of scrubland to the side. Also, being near the front of the hotel the main road adjoining was quite close so you also had background traffic noise etc. Unhappy with this, I requested a room change - given what we a paying and how the hotel bills itself this was not up to standard. The receptionist claimed the hotel was full etc etc. and eventually came back with two options, either overlooking the car park on the other side or kids club. I rejected both, and having dug my heels in further the residence manager came back with the option of a sea view room in B block on the sixth floor, however we would have to downgrade from a suite to a standard room for this. For us, the view and better location were worth it and we didn't need the extra space, but I can imagine for others this would not be the case, leaving you pretty limited options. Walking around the hotel so many of the rooms seem to be heavily compromised - if you don't want to be disappointed ensure you book a sea view as the outlook and/or noise from the other rooms is really not great. After accepting I was made to sign a waiver stating I would not pursue compensation for being given a downgraded room class - fine, but a little formal.

The room itself was OK, but looking a bit tired and in need of updating. A shower over bath is a bit poor for this class, and in our room one of the toilet flushes didn't work and nor did one of the air con settings. Not a major issue for us, but again at this level guest rooms should be checked before being used - it's not up to me to make maintenance calls on holiday.

We (thankfully) went B&B as the buffet rooms are all pretty drab and the only one with an outdoor veranda suffered from birds helping themselves to food from tables. The food itself was pretty average, and didn't change once in the week we were there. No-one informed us about the adult-only breakfast option, and to be honest on principal not sure why I should have to pay extra to eat a meal I've already paid for in another part of the hotel?

We generally felt that if you are a couple then you were almost being 'taxed' for not having kids with you. The adult-only pool isn't heated (unlike the childrens one) and is also in the lower, slightly winder part of the complex. It's freezing cold so no-one uses it. The adult-only jacuzzi always had kids in it and no-one cared. The adult only breakfast cost more. I have no problem with family-friendly hotels, but this all seemed a little biased to me.

I won't repeat at length what others have written about the sun bed situation, other than it is a major problem and none of the staff appear to care less. The sun bed covers themselves were all looking pretty worn, ripped and dirty - not a major thing but again not what you expect from a 5*.

The hotel restaurants were OK, we tried the Italian, Japanese and Tapas and all were fine though nothing special. There are better places to eat in the marina complex. We walked through Playa Blanca once, and that was enough for us...

Overall I felt that the hotel just doesn't live up to a 5*L rating nor the cost to stay once you are there. Families may get better value from it, but for a couple like us (in our 30's) it just didn't seem to work. There are similar hotels in the Canaries (Cordial Mogan Playa and the Lopesan Villa Del Conde, both in Gran Canaria) that in my opinion are both better and cheaper.

Room Tip: B block sixth floor appear to have the best views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank robertlove
PYaiza, Resident Director at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your last experience at the Princesa Yaiza. All our staff is alaways looking after our guests during your stays and or daily main goal is to offer you a great stay in Lanzarote.

The only-adults breakfast is offered at Isla de Lobos restaurant, awarded as the best canarian gastronomy, and the concept is really different from the buffet breakfast, all of them are great but the breakfast at Isla de Lobos is an a la carte breakfast served in your table by our staff, the most of the dishes offered are prepared with local producto and all of them prepared at the momento, you can ask for the menú in our PR desk at the reception área to check how is it.

Regarding the 3 buffet restaurants (available for dinner and breakfasts), there are 2 of them with open-air áreas, La Hacienda and Yaiza, whch has a large terrace, reccommended only for adults.

The adult swimming-pool is more cool tan the other one just because it has salted-water directly from the sea in front of the hotel, this wáter comes from the Atlantic and we understand the Atlantic ocean is cold, but you can enjoy a fresh swim in the pool with natural wáter coming from the Atlantic, which is always a plus.

We take note of your comments to improve our service and all these details you have told us, although I have to say that in the Canary islands, the palms are protected by law and it´s not posible to cut them, that´s the reason why maybe your room had a palm in front of you, this is a natural treasure of the island and it´s forbidden to cut them.

Thanks again for your feedback, we hope to receive you son in Lanzarote again,

Luis Folgar
Resident Director
Welling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

A missed flight, re-arrangement of flights and transfers and it wasn't looking good but.....and this is a big but....we arrived and they didn't have our room...we were given the presidential suite...this was one of those moments that I never thought would happen to me...the presidential suite had a huge lounge, with a sofa, 3 chaise lounges, a table 4 chairs, a flat screen TV, 2 marble bathrooms, 2 bedrooms with queen size beds, a mini kitchen and a huge terrace with 2 sun loungers and 2 chairs overlooking the sea...the staff treated us like kings...the beauty of this hotel is unimaginable..the foods was to die for with award winning restaurants. The snack bar (really a restaurant) was a little expensive but we wouldn't have expected anything else in this upmarket hotel - the food was truly delicious. The staff especially Patricia I would like to thank for giving us the amazing room....couldn't have ever afforded the €960 a night suite...the botanical gardens inside was so beautiful...and out of a scene from the film titanic the wooden staircase leading to the cocktail bar was amazing, as were the cocktails,.all the stars in the ceiling....WOW WOW WOW...we will be booking this hotel for next year....Thank you Princessa Yaiza for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Rooms all have a sea view. It's near to everything, all the bars and restaurants. This is a chil...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bev131161
Dear guest,

I´d like to thank you for choosing us as the hotel for your holidays. We are very happy you have enjoyed your stay with us.

As you have said, we work every day to take care of our guest and make an unforgetable experience for all of them. Our staff is always willing to provide the best service to our guests and all the food is made in house by our chefs with fresh and natural ingredients, many of them coming from our island.

We are glad you have enjoyed and moreover you are already thinking in staying with us again. We are looking forward to see you again in the Princesa Yaiza.

Best regards from Lanzarote, and have a great summer.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Would definitely recommend this hotel. Room was great. Amenities were excellent. If your thinking of staying here look at the half board plus option as we found it great value for money.
Superb for families.
The only let down was the weather which the hotel can do nothing about !!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kaisersmith
Dear guest,

first of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen the Princesa Yaiza as your place to stay in Lanzarote island, and we really appreciate you have taken your time to write your feedback about or property.

We are glad you have enjoyed in our hotel with your family and you have enjoyed our gastronomy, since we prepare all the the food daily for our guests to enjoy.

We are looking forward to see you back soon in Lanzarote.

Luis Folgar
Resident Director
Devon, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I do not give bad reviews lightly (see my many other reviews on here over the years for corroboration of this fact - this is the first ever one star review), but we had so many negative experiences and so much disappointment at the Princesa Yaiza, that I feel in this case that it is justified.

My husband and I and our 14 year old son stayed at this hotel for two weeks in July 2014. A week or so before our arrival, I emailed the hotel, requesting accommodation in a quiet part of the hotel. I never received a response.

Upon check-in, I mentioned that I had emailed in advance requesting a quiet room, and the receptionist looked on his screen and said that yes, the email had been received. They just hadn’t bothered to reply or acknowledge it.

Our room was not ready (which was fair enough, it was only just after 12 noon), so the receptionist suggested we take a wander around the hotel and asked for our mobile number, saying the room would be ready in about an hour and they would ring us to let us know as soon as it was. Two hours later, having received no phone call, we returned to Reception. Our room was ready, but they hadn’t bothered to ring us.

We were given keys to our room, and waved in the general direction of the other side of the lobby. No offer of anybody showing us to our suite. Eventually, a porter asked if he could help, as we had no idea where we were going and must have looked rather lost, and gave us directions.

Imagine our delight upon arriving at our suite to find it sandwiched between Kikoland, a large outdoor children’s play area, and a cocktail bar with live music open until 3 am. (The noise from the cocktail bar did not disturb us once our doors were shut, to be fair, but the children’s play area was very noisy all day and a lot of the evening, too).

The suite itself was spacious and had plenty of storage, though the furnishings were a bit tired and dated for our taste. The view from the balcony was a huge disappointment, looking out as it did on to a wall of palm trees, which blocked all but the tiniest glimpse of the sea.

The bedroom had hardly any natural daylight, as other reviewers have noted, looking out as it does onto an internal corridor, which was another disappointment. You need to have electric lights on in the bedroom 24/7.

We booked on a bed and breakfast basis. Breakfast is served in three large dining rooms and is buffet style. There is a good selection of food, and it is of good quality, but with over 1,000 guests including an awful lot of small children, it’s not a relaxing event, not helped by a member of entertainment staff dressing up as a six foot furry bird and attending breakfast, squeezing between all the chairs and tables to see all the children every morning (I wondered if I’d accidentally gone to Disneyland on the first morning – and not in a good way). It was not until Day 11 (and in reply to a direct question to the Restaurant Manager) that I discovered there is an adults only area in one of the dining rooms, which we had never been offered previously, despite requesting a table away from small children on more than one occasion.

Thank goodness I had read on Tripadvisor (because the hotel don’t tell you this), that breakfast can be taken in the Isla de los Lobos restaurant at an additional cost of 3 euros per person. What a difference! This was the best thing about the hotel for us – fabulous food and a varied and interesting breakfast menu, served by polite and professional staff on a lovely verandah overlooking the sea. I have travelled the world extensively and can honestly say that this breakfast experience is one of the best I’ve ever had. Best 3 euros I ever spent.

Unfortunately, the Isla de los Lobos restaurant was not so successful in the evening for us. Food was average and served barely luke-warm, and the service was poor and supercilious.

We tried the Japanese restaurant one evening. We were seated adjacent to two small children, both of whom were watching (different) cartoons on iPads without headphones and at full volume, while their parents chatted at the other end of the table, seemingly oblivious. I appreciate that this is not the fault of the hotel, but it is perhaps a reflection of the type of people this resort attracts. Fifteen minutes after arriving and being seated and given a menu, we had been completely ignored by the staff and not offered so much as a glass of water, so we got up and left. I don’t think they even noticed.

Bar service was OK, but the cocktails were just awful. I ordered a margarita and my husband a dry martini, cocktails we have tried in many bars all over the world. My husband’s dry martini had very obviously been watered down, and my margarita tasted as though it literally had no alcohol in it at all. I asked for mine to be remade, and it came back the same. On the last day, I decided to give the cocktails another chance, and ordered a pina colada at the pool. I am going to put a photo on this review of how it was served to me, as it was the most appalling cocktail I have ever been served anywhere ever. I should add it was warm and tasted of nothing.

Another unpleasant incident occurred when my son was unable to find a small bottle of medication he takes each night on one evening. After searching the room high and low, we found a sliver of glass from the bottle under the table – obviously the maid had broken it. Easily done, and I quite understand that accidents happen, but not to tell us and just to clear it up and pretend it never happened is totally unacceptable. I reported this to Guest Services and was subsequently told that they had investigated and the maid didn’t know anything about it.

The sunbed reservation situation round the pool mentioned by others on here is not good. Unfortunately, it’s a case of ‘if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em’ and like others, we got up at the crack of dawn to put our towels out to guarantee a seat. There are clearly not enough seats for the number of guests, and the staff to nothing to help the situation.

There is a towel/card system in place, so you have to hand in your towel card in exchange for a towel. One day my son had sunburnt legs and my husband nearly had a stand up row with the pool staff who refused to let us have one extra towel to put over my son’s legs!!! I literally can’t believe that I’m writing that.

I was surprised that the hotel didn’t have sunbeds and umbrellas on the beach adjacent to the hotel – if you wanted to go to the beach, you had to pay for sunbeds and umbrellas.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but I’d like to add that we had really disappointing weather whilst we were in Lanzarote (out of 14 days in July, we only swam in the pool twice, as the water was so cold the rest of the time), and that we found Playa Blanca very ‘chips and lager’ and ‘Brits abroad’ as a resort. Not much sophistication or culture to be found here – very little Spanish feeling at all.

There is more, but I feel that I’ve given enough of a flavour of our experience at the Princesa Yaiza. Needless to say, I will not be going back – frankly, I wouldn’t even go if THEY paid ME.

21 Thank cmathews
PYaiza, Director of Operations at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear guest,

first of all we would like to thank you for having chosen us as your hotel to stay in Lanzarote and for sending your feedback about your experience. All the comments and advices are welcome, since it makes us improve and provide the best service to our guests.

We regret to read you have a perception away from the reality of the Princesa Yaiza Hotel. We try our best every day to make an unforgettable experience to our guests. In case your stay isn't going as pleasant as you feel, we have a Public Relations department with 15 people to attend our guests and offer you the best for your stay and also to help you booking excursions or hiring a car to discover our island, as Lanzarote is a magic and volcanic treasure, reserve of the Biosphere and you´ll love it if you discover it.

Regarding the beach in front of the hotel, let me remember that in Spain all the beaches are public spaces and it´s not posible to have a private beach at any hotel, the beach sunbeds and umbrellas in front of the hotel (Playa Dorada) belong to an external company and it´s not possible to put hotel furniture there because we have no permission. Our PR dept can book a sunbed and umbrella in this beach for you, directly paid to the beach staff.

We take note of your comments in order to improve our service and I hope to receive you again soon to check how your feedback has been noticed and these things have changed.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further details about any specific issue, and of course I will be more than happy to meet you personally in your next stay in Lanzarote, we are sure we have much more to offer you and your family from this lovely island.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have just returned from a week at Princesa Yaiza.

The interior of the hotel is stunning. We had a suite in block C which was huge. We would have had a sea view but unfortunately blocked by the palm tree in front of the balcony. Excellent facilities for children including an indoor soft play area. The children's evening entertainment was a little young for my 10 year old daughter but if you have children 6 and under this hotel would be perfect for you.

We did not have a problem with sun loungers - easily finding 3 together at 9.30/10 in the morning. At other hotels I have been to I found that sun loungers were all gone by 8am. It is true the salt water (filled from the sea) is very cold but you get used to it quickly and it is very refreshing and fairly empty.

The food in the a la carte restaurants was reasonably priced and of good quality but there are equally as good restaurants nearby. The breakfast buffet is extensive and good quality and there is even Cava if you fancy it.

The evening buffets are over priced and I do not recommend them. They are 38 euros and unless you are a complete glutton you can eat better quality and more cheaply at the a la carte. Perhaps if they included a bottle of water or wine the value would be better but all drinks are on top of the 38 euros.

To sum up this is a lovely hotel and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. If you have young children I recommend it.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room on the 5th floor you may avoid the dreaded palm trees blocking your view.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank latra
PYaiza, Director of Operations at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,

we appreciate you have taken your time to send us your feedback and for having chosen the Princesa Yaiza as your destination for your holidays.

In terms of service we always try to provide the best to our guests and our staff do it outstanding. We are specialized in vegetarian food and our vegetarian guests only have to tell it to our recepction or Public Relations department when booking or checking-in and we can prepare special dishes for them during their stays. We have guests that come to the hotel every year to enjoy a five-star vegetarian lunch or dinner during their holidays, and they always repeat.

We regret to hear you had some cloudy days during your stay, something extrange as we have the sun shining in the island during the most part of the year. Lanzarote is a place full of opportunities to discover an incredible volcanic island. We encourage you, for the next time you come to our property, to go to the PR desk, where our team will be very pleasant to show you how to get the most out of this island.

We are looking forward to see you again in our hotel soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I have stayed in this hotel now 5 times over 5 years and WILL NEVER GO BACK. The hotel has changed over the years, particularly in the past year, and instead of feeling they appreciate your business it almost has an air of 'lets just make as much money out of you as possible'. Some members of staff have been there for years and are good but I contracted food poisoning in the last 24hours of my holiday and to say the hotel were not interested is an understatement. I didn't realise this is what I had until I got back to the UK. Obviously raised this with the hotel and clearly that was not important to them as I had paid over £4000 for a 9 day stay.....so they had their money! I got a response 5 days later from Marsha the public relations manager claiming as no one else had experienced any similar symptoms....I was wrong and if I want to come back - she would upgrade us....lucky us...why would I not jump at that opportunity!!!! We did not move from the hotel during our holiday, ate all day there so think twice about going. My daughter ate in the Yaiza restaurant, same evening that I have pinpointed what caused the food poisoning, and was served a piece of chicken, by the chef, that was raw in the middle! The pool area is a joke as well. It is a real shame as I would not have felt the need to write this if my concerns had been dealt with in a more agreeably manner. The hotel used to be good....it is now lacking in many departments.

Cleanliness
9 Thank Susan L
Dear guest,

Thank you for contacting us again, every feedback from our guests is always welcome to let us improving our service and quality standards.

I´m happy to read that you appreciate our staff service as they work daily really hard to offer the best to our guests, and we are really interested in you and all those guests who trust the Princesa Yaiza to spend their holidays.

As we have spoken through our private e-mails conversation, In our hotel we have very high standards and strong procedures to follow of health and safety, we register all the products every day and we have health and safety controls every month, from the quality department of the hotel and also from external companies which certify the quality of the products, procedures and standards of our kitchens and food prepairing methods.

We have reviewed all the procedures from the days of your stay and nothing extrange or special happened during those days, everything was perfectly prepared and all the temperatures of each product was correct, nobody else complained and no other guest had any similar problem, but we understand each person may get sick due to many different reasons as every body is different.

We hope you to trust again in the Princesa Yaiza, as I can strongly confirm that we work hard everyday to do our work better than the day before, this is our mail goal and we´ll continue offering our best to our guests.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me again if you want any more detail about the gastronomy área during your last stay, and of course I´ll be more than happy to meet you personally in your next stay in Lanzarote, I´m sure we have much more to offer you and your family from this lovely island.

Thank you very much again from your feedback and best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Hesperia Playa Dorada
Hesperia Playa Dorada
#17 of 38 in Playa Blanca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,881 reviews

Been to Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!