“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

THB Tropical Island
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the tbh sun tropical island from the 5th September for 10nights, I have to say please don't listen to the negative reviews because I travelled with my parents and my two children aged 4 and 1 and it was the best holiday we been on by far. Yes you have to que at the bars but where do people go where there are no ques. People that go on holidays and expect to much should pay a far lot more. We arrived at 20.30 and on request for joining rooms yes we were given them, plus a packed lunch on arrival. our rooms was outstanding tropical 502/503. The walk to the beach is maximum 10 mins and same in to the town. It is a fab walk and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The entertainment team work so hard and very long hours, there is fun and games for all, my children had the time of their lives. PUMP IT UP thomas cook entertainment team. There was plenty of sun beds for all and the water park area is good for all aged children.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank Billiebox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Polish first
South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 2:30pm...we had issues as we were t he 5 or 6th drop off from aiport and the driver had unloaded our suitcases somewhere between the airport and our hotel...he didnt really care just shrugged and got back on bus. This was not the Hotels fault but we just wanted to get in our room and try and sort this problem out. However, our room was not available and we were told to have lunch and then request key again...Within the hour it was available.

The room is great for an all inclusive....3 rooms- the front room with bed setee, televisions and kitched(with hob, microwave, toaster, kettle and fridge) the a double bedroom and a bathroom. We stayed for a week 17-24 October 2013 and the maid came about 4 times during our stay. Room was great!!

We didnt get our suitcases untill 6:30 so no pool for the first day. The next day we went to main pool. This was such a picturesque pool- only issue is that most of it was 1.5 metres which is to high for both my children (aged 5 and 2). The entertainment around the pool was FAB the Thomas Cook reps were always organising some game or another and would leave you alone is you didnt want to participate. Alongside the main pool was the splash park-which, although small- was great for my children they loved it!!! We did moved to one of the quieter pools though as we found this was easier for our children to get used to the depth of pool and they seemed to have more confidence to try and swim without so many people around. The great choice of pools and parks for the children was perfect for my family.

The food at the hotel was good. The breakfast was as you would expect from all inclusive hotels- the usual-bacon, sausage, has browns etc...along with slection of cold meats and cheeses and breads. The hotel should really invest in more or better toasters though as there was always queues at the toaster and you had to put the bread in about 3 times to get just a little colour on it. The lunch and dinner were ok- always something different to choose from. However, the childrens options were very limited- chips, chicken nuggets or fish fingers...thats it. As most other food was was cooked in oil or herbs my children-being fussy- would not eat it. I sympathise with the restaurant staff as this constant- busy,busy,busy...but this is the Hotels fault as the restaurant, in my opinion, is not big enough to cater for all guests. We went out of high season and can not imagine what it is like in the summer- it was verging on madness with us!! The pool bar also served snacks at lunch time 12-6...burgers, hot dogs, jacket potatoes, salad..we ate this for 2/3 days but went back to restaurant as soon got sick of it.

The entertainment at the hotel was FAB cannot fault the Thomas Cook reps. The only issue we had is we were not given any information as to where/what time the entertainment was. The only information we were given was a piece of paper with a map on it and a few sentences on the back one of which regarding entertainment went along the lines of 'we provide regular daytime and evening entertainment' thats it!!! we found our way to the dome and had to wait as it opened at 8 o'clock...you get the 7:58 and they would not open!! no matter how many guests were waiting!! The bar at The Dome...what can I say...1 man serving everyone there- the queue running down the steps almost to the dancefloor...RIDICULOUS...my hubby ended up getting about 3/4 drinks each to avaiod having to queue.

In the Dome the mini-disco and games started at 8:15 til 9 and my children really enjoyed this. Learning the new dances, meeting Dizzy and Shades, playing the games with the reps. Nex is a short quiz- no pens though so ensure you take one!! then there is bingo and 'Pump it up' was fab...you have to be there!!! This gets all the people- playing or not- involved in the game!! Then it was the time for headline entertainment...this ranged from magician, contortionist, rep singing show, The Zone (their version of The Cube)...this was very entertaining and my children were engaged throughout. A big thank you to Lizzie who played continuous games of peek-a-boo with my 2 year old Isabelle!!

All in all- a few tweaks and alot mopre staff could make this hotel EXCELLENT but we had a fantastic time anyway...woudl not go in summer season though as imagine this to be catastrophic!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank EllsBells3
Long Eaton, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Just got back from a week staying at this resort and very much enjoyed it. We went in a group of 16 and was great for all ages. Rooms very clean and ideal. All pools fantastic and entertainment team were great. Only downside to this holiday was the food. Not much choice and most days lunch and dinner was the same. Would definatly stay here again and my 2 year old daughter loved it! The beach and local town were also really nice.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank laurenkemp90
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Returned from a 2week stay at the THB Tropical Island on the 17th October. Travelled with my partner (31&32) and two sons (12yrs and 8mnths)

We had a wonderful holiday and cannot fault the place at all - and we are fussy about where we holiday!!!! Was very apprehensive about going having read some of the reviews on here before going but I have to admit the hotel was nothing like some of the reviews!!! And I'm glad I waited and judged it for myself!!! I am going to write an honest review and hope it helps...

On arrival at around 0015hrs we were greeted by a night receptionist who spoke English but not terribly well, we were checked in quickly and efficiently and given a comfort pack for each member of my party (water,sandwich, yoghurt and fruit) at the time of night it was the water was greatly appreciated especially for the babies bottles!!!! We were given VERY clear instructions to our room which we found no bother despite the size of the place!!

THE ROOM - was an appropriate size for a family of 4 altho the fold-away bed wasn't made up, there was a travel cot all made up in the living area for the baby and a double (2singles pushed together) in the bedroom!! We had to pull out and make up the fold away bed for my older son which I only mention because of the baby as it made a screeching noise being pulled out!! Not a huge complaint but would have been much more convenient had it been up given the time of our arrival. Also if you had never used one of these beds before you wouldn't know that the bed has legs and can be put up rather than sleeping on the floor (we met a family and the dad spent the first 6nights of his holiday down on the floor) The rooms are dated there is no denying that and the furniture is a really dark brown colour but we hardly spent anytime in the room so again wasn't a huge issue. Shower/bathroom facilities were adequate. Rooms were cleaned every day except a Sunday and a Thursday, fresh towels every day except these two aswell, however we asked for fresh towels on one of these days and these were provided with no hassle at all.

THE FOOD - breakfast was excellent!! The hash browns in particular were fab, lots of fruit and doughnuts and cereals aswell as the full cooked!! Lunch in the main restaurant I found quite poor and only went twice in my stay we preferred to eat at the snack bar at the pool which was amazing burgers, hotdogs and jacket potatoes and pizza plus fresh salad and meats and bread rolls. Dinner was adequate in the main dining room for dinner and they had various theme nights, although they were repeated on a weekly basis which was annoying as most hotels I've been too have a 2wk rotation so ur not eating the same thing!! Best nights were Mexican and the Chinese. There wasn't a huge selection of food but in most hotels the food is just repeated all the way along the buffet this didn't happen which was great!! Children buffet was a strange selection one night they had squid rings chips and potato croquettes - I personally just found this random!! Snacks after dinner were not available, I've never been to an all inclusive hotel that didn't provide snacks in the evening so found this strange!! The pizzeria and tapas are definitely worth a visit although on our 2nd visit to the pizzeria it was a it below the standard of the 1st visit!!!

THE DRINKS - were typically Spanish spirit brands which I cannot comment on as I don't drink spirits. The beer was a bit too strong tasting me for me and I ended up drinking shandys but on the whole no complaints with the drinks they were also served at night in tankards which was a pleasant change from the tiny plastic cups!! The tavern is a welcome addition to the hotel and we enjoyed a drink in there after dinner before we headed to the dome!!

THE DOME - was were the main entertainment took place and it was fab!! Both at night and during the day round the pool, however the only problem was the lack of guests willing to take part in quizzes and shows!! Bingo was great had most of the crowd "pumping it up" for cash prizes. The Thomas cook entertainment team were all great and definitely added to our holiday especially DVD, Gemma, Kim (blond hair) and Rachael!!! You guys do an amazing job and should be told so!!!! Lots to do for both the young and the old!!

My only gripe with the hotel were the pools, BUT purely because the are all over 1.25m deep and this is no good for wee ones and the only reason I wouldn't return anytime soon to the THB Tropical Island, as we will have a toddler next year!! There are various little "baby" pools however with the age difference with my boys I need to ensure I am catering for them both when choosing a holiday!!

We had a fabulous holiday and I would 100% recommend the hotel for families with older kids!!

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank MayFamily1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My family and I have just recently returned from Tropical Island and had a great time! When I first read the reviews I was dreading it and thought we had made a mistake however, our time there was great. We had a pool outside our room which was mainly quiet and where we spent the majority of our time through the day. Yes a lot of the loungers are broken however, we would swap them over and never had a day we could not get a bed. Our rooms were cleaned regularly and fresh towels daily, although not at the weekend which seemed to be the maids days off, this was not a problem though. The food was ok, breakfast was fine with a good selection and we used the shack near the main pool for lunch which served burgers, hotdogs and chips. For dinner again there was a good selection however there were two pickier eaters and this proved difficult, we ate out on a few occasions and did not take advantage of going to the pizza or tapas restaurant which we should have!
I thought the resort was very clean and well maintained, there were a variety of pools dotted about the resort which you could choose from. The main pool had daily activities for the kids and some poolside quizzes for the whole family to enjoy. We frequented the tavern bar most nights before going out and the bar staff were lovely and very accommodating, we had two teenage boys with us and the staff would put on the football most nights as they requested. There is a pool table there also which the boys spent most of their time with and I believe they put on entertainment for the kids although we never stayed to see that. There is only one bar man serving which was not a problem for us however, I could imagine it would be if it were busier. The Dome is where the main entertainment is held each evening and the reps are very nice and enthusiastic to get everyone involved, the queue for drinks is more problematic here as it tends to be busier and again only one person serving! This usually closed at 12pm.
As everyone has suggested a back door key is recommended to get to and from the town, I think it was 10euro deposit which you get back. It is a 10-15 minute walk to town which is very pretty with a mariner. We ate at a few restaurants facing the beach and can state the food was very good and reasonably priced. We stayed out until 12pm and found a few bars which were good along the beach front. We did go to the only club which was in a block complex called swing which was not so good as the bouncers were very aggressive and attacked one of our boys for no apparent reason...this did put a bit of a downer on our hols however we were informed by locals that there had been a lot of trouble at the club since it had opened and another tourist was assaulted by the bouncers after the incident with us. So on that note I would not recommend going there. It is true Playa Blanca is quieter than most resorts but we enjoyed it and the boys (age 18) did not complain.
We also booked an excursion through the reps which cost 39euros each to go snorkeling, kayaking and the banana boat with lunch included, this was a great day out and would recommend it. If you did not want to take part in the water sports you could spend the day on the beach which was a national park, very pretty.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our time there and would definitely go again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near one of the pools as they are quieter and beds more accessible,
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sunworshiper279
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

The worst part of our holiday is going there and returning home, waiting an hour for our luggage & then a long walk to the transport, After that it was a fantastic holiday with lots of nice people including the staff & fellow guest of all nationalities, The room was great the shower in the room is best to adjust the temperature with the taps & then pull the button for the shower no problem, The drinks & food were again satisfactory for the price we paid all inclusive if you want five star then pay the extra or take a bottle of your favourite drink with you We took a bottle of whisky & a bottle of vodka & we left half a bottle of each when we left two weeks later & we like our drink so the drinks at the bar were fine & the bar snacks were on from !2 mid day till 5 in the after noon so no complaints there, The staff all served with a smile & the cleaners did an excellent job so if you are going there treat people as you would like to be treated & you will have a great time.

Room Tip: We requested a high floor and we had a good nights sleep every night but if you have children I woul...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank COL&BET
Chester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

we loved it here, entertainment was great, food was fine, drinks a plenty and mostly really nice people there.
staff were great with kids, although bloke in tapas bar very stressed, and pretty angry with customers!!
pizza restaurant was lovley, although i think in peak season it would be chaos!
we enjoyed it but wouldnt go back,

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Occidental Lanzarote
Occidental Lanzarote
#16 of 38 in Costa Teguise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,385 reviews

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!