“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Melton Mowbray
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week staying at this hotel, absolutely loved Lanzarote but the hotel was an absolute disappointment....where do I start.
Arrived at the hotel to be told the room was not ready and we should store our suitcases and belongings in their secure(unlocked and door wide open) storage room and go get some food in the canteen.
Now this is where it all started, greeted by dinner options such as goat chops, "pork" in sauce(pork being used loosely here, there was no pork in the dish...think more the bits of soggy skin and innards people throw away after roasting) soups that looked more like a vat of crude oil and cold chips(infact may I add, everything was cold, undercooked and disgusting)
There are three restaurants, a pizzeria, tapas and chicken restaurant(which was never open) after booking onto each thinking that they could surely be better, we were wrong.
Upon arrival at the pizzeria 10minutes before our booked time we were shouted at and told to come at the correct time, once sat down we waited about 15minutes before we even got asked what drink we would like, after that another half hour wait before we were asked our order...on arrival after what felt like a lifetime, was pretty much a Tesco value pizza. To add to all this, the atmosphere was horrendous...everyone asking each other how long they had been waiting, some couples completely being ignored and to too it all off, the waiter ordering a group to leave because he needed the table space to which a fight nearly broke out.
The tapas restaurant was a complete joke, only being able to order two dishes per person(which is fine) but you are then told that these "main dishes" are simply items on the salad bar to which you had to go collect yourself thus wasting your choices because anybody was free to collect from the salad bar, same with the paella(which was tepid)....to top it all off we had "breaded fish in champagne sauce", which sounded quite nice until tasting...the champagne sauce was essentially hot tuna mayo which nearly made us both vomit. Last but not least we had the "canary potatoes"(which we knew we liked as had tried before elsewhere) these were basically unwashed, muddy, furry new potatoes...we did not even try these as visually they turned our stomach so much we left to find food in town to which we subsequently did from then on.
Entertainment would be fine if you were lacking in the brain cell department and just wanted to get drunk by the pool/dome and be larey(may I add, the wine my partner was given was so off even smelling it made me feel ill)
The room was nice and spacious and would of suited our needs perfectly fine if it didn't have loads of little ants crawling all over the kitchen(on the worktops, cooker and even inside the kettle)
Majority of the staff were very rude and dismissive, very poorly managed. You could definitely get the impression that they were all overworked, underpaid and undervalued to which it definitely showed.
Overall the hotel was a massive letdown and we will never be returning or recommending which is a shame as upon first glance it looks great....loads of pools, spacious rooms, quite pretty, but further inspection reveals a much darker picture.
The resort of Playa Blanca is lovely which was a lifesaver as it was only a short walk into town to which you could buy edible food at a low price and deal with friendly local staff.
Advice would be if you are after all inclusive - go elsewhere, do NOT even contemplate this place.
And to any management that might respond to this I will not listen to the lies to which have been responded to previous unhappy quests, nothing has changed and for the foreseeable future I don't think ever will.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Mark F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

At first, I was worried to be coming to Sun Tropical because of all the constant bad reviews, although there were some good ones. I was thinking about changing to some other hotel because of the bad reviews. Fortunately, this was one of my favourite holidays for me. Nothing too bad about it. I came with my family and my best friend's family, which altogether had a total of 9 people. We went only 1 week, which I soon regretted a lot. I did want to go for 2 weeks at the start. From 14/10/13 to 21/10/13 :)

Well, unlike other people which might have complained, our service at the reception was actually pretty decent. The woman that served us was reasonably nice and gave us some stuff to eat since the restaurant was closed at the time we arrived which is just about 9'ish. Unfortunately, it was a bottle of water, some sandwiches, yoghurt, and a piece of fruit. That was our late dinner and yes, we were starving after eating the snacks because they were of little portion and wasn't the best food... I guess there's no complaining though. There would've been nothing else she could've given us.

The rooms were reasonably tidy and clean, and just about had enough space for everyone. We slept comfortably during the night without any hassle.

The next morning, we were looking for quite a nice breakfast. The food in the canteen were alright, I suppose. But, I've definitely been to hotels with better food. Overall, lunch and dinner was just the same quality but there was a variety of options if that makes it any better. The dessert could've been a lot more nicer and have a lot more, quantity wise. It seemed that every time I went up, there would be nothing nice left. And the cooks would never refill the empty plate of desserts.

Anyway, moving on to the views of the hotel. It was overall very big, clean, eye-catching and nothing really bad about it. A lot of space, definitely. The pools were pleasantly clean and there was a lot of sun beds, but definitely get a good spot if you want one during the morning as it gets a lot busier and then you're left with the odd seats and no good spot...

The beach in this area was amazing. The water was clean, the sand was quite nice and thin, the scenery was beautiful and there was local shops/malls/restaurants up the stairs. Overall, quite a nice place.

Moving onto to the last subject which was my absolute favourite and highlighted my holiday : the entertainment. The entertainment team was brilliant during day AND night. They were all very friendly and yes, I did have my favourites out of them all. Kimberly B was very friendly + casual to people. Easily likable, and she was BRILLIANT when it came onto the night performances in the Entertainment Dome. She can sing AMAZINGLY. Steven was also a friendly guy and he was great at singing! Funny too :) DJ DVD was a great guy. He was very friendly to everyone, really nice and a bundle of fun! Rachael was a really nice girl too and she was friendly to everyone. It was easy to talk to her :) Jen was great also! Friendly and nice to talk to too!

And last of all, my most favourite entertainer of all : Lizzy. She completely made my holiday. Super friendly, down to earth, a really nice girl, really helpful. She was like, one of my new best friends! Lots of fun, funny, never hesitated over anything and a good person to talk to, haha ;'D

The main part that I miss from the holiday is the Entertainment team. They were my main highlight! Overall, this holiday was brilliant! :D

Review : Complete.

Spencer Shek :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Spencer S
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The size of the complex is massive there's 16 pools to choose from 2 dining areas a pizzarea,shop,laundrette,bar,entertainment dome,pool bar,buffet snack bar the complex is lovly to walk around and well kept there ate plenty of sun loungers round the pools aswell and a pool bar and snack buffet it's not too far a walk to the beach and town but there's a free bus if u don't want to walk the staff were very friendly and cheerfull u really enjoyed our stay here and will defo be going again next year our 20 month old son loved it too plenty of things for the little 1s to do our accommodation was great we had a large living room / kitchen area a big bathroom and a double size bedroom they even provided a travel cot for our son the bedding/towels were changed regularly and room cleaned overall a fantastic holiday and hotel the wether was awesome too

2 Thank vicki15_1_13
England
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Visited this hotel last week and had a terrible time.
I found the reception and bar staff very rude and not helpful at all.
The food was tasteless and all round plain horrible. We found ourselves eating out every night, having tried the food first but being let down. The eating area is so small for the size of this complex. The bars are understaffed and very very basic, no range.
The evening entertainment was dull and far too loud.
Overall this hotel was a complete disappointment.
The beach and bars along the sea front are fantastic which is why I will go back but not ever to this hotel.
I did read reviews before going and noticing a few bad ones I decided to give the benefit of doubt but I truly wished I never!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Brist

Travellers are raving about these Playa Blanca hotels

Manchester
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed here for 1 week 7 -14 Nov with my husband and my 9 year old son.

Check in: Reasonably quick but you are just given a quick map of the complex which is very large so we had to wander around until we found our apartment.

Room: As you would expect for 3 star accommodation. Beds quite comfortable.

Food : Where do I start ?? I have stayed at between 3* and 5* hotels and have NEVER had to eat out every night. The dining room is chaos with 3 main course choices (very poor and hardly hot) rubbish deserts, coffee machines turned of at meal times except breakfast. Cold, dried chips for children. It really was dreadful. Plenty of salad, but that doesn't really make a meal on a holiday. The 'snacks' at the pool bar were just as bad. No food is provided after dinner as most other hotels do. Crisps are not included for children on all inclusive !! You can book for the pizzeria or the tapas restaurant but neither were much better that the main dining room.

Facilities: The pool area is very nice although at this time of year obviously the pool was FREEZING. Each set of apartments has it's own pool but there is only one pool bar so it can be a bit of a trek each time you want a drink.

Drinks: I didn't drink the beer but my husband said it wasn't very nice at all. the vodka was the usual you get on all inclusive.

Entertainment: As we were out of season, it's hard to comment, but whilst we were there, the tavern, which is just like a pub puts you tube videos on until a mini disco then a quiz maybe. Not too bad but people were abusing the free drinks and made a terrible racket coming out at night. Not great when you have children with you. There is the dome which is undercover. Seems like it might be ok for children but it was very quiet whilst we were there.

Location: We were about 15 minutes walk to the beach and the main promenade. This is beautiful and well worth it. Also walked into the Rubicon Marina which is 30 min stroll along the seafront. We also hired a car and went up to Timanfaya volcano which is well worth a visit.

Overall. I would def visit lanzarote again but never to this hotel. It is 2 * at best. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda W
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here with our 10 month old at the start of November. Lovely clean, tidy place which has everything you need in the resort including shops, bars, and the different restaurants. Playa Blanca is a ten minute walk from the hotel if you wish to go in. We were all inclusive and you could have as much as you wanted. Food felt slightly repetitive towards the end but it was always good. We actually ate out the last few nights which was always less than €35 so we couldn't complain. Would travel here again.

4 Thank JLG4EVA
northern ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Staying here at the moment. This all inclusive hotel is spotless and the staff are always keeping the place clean and tidy. Rooms could be doing with updating but are cleaned every day with fresh towels daily. Food is good plenty of choice and always hot. Pool bar serves chips pizza hot dogs and f salads. Buffet style reasturant with loads of choice. Staff at the hotel are very friendly and efficient. If anyone complains about .this hotel they are hard to please. Remember you get what you pay for and this is s good 3 star hotel. Great for kids also with loads to keep them occupied.

5 Thank paulvickery_12
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
#16 of 38 in Costa Teguise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,767 reviews
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!